280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Hey All. New Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM

Hey All. New Guy Here

Hey everybody. Hopefully I will be joining the ranks of older z owners this week. It's pretty exciting for me because at the moment Im all rotary.

Im not new to cars in any way and I have a little experience with 280s because a friend of mine had an 82 and 83 but Im just looking for a little advice.

The car I found is a 81 290zx turbo with 93k original miles with recent replacement of turbo and injectors. Another sweet thing about it is there is virtually no rust on this thing. It is as solid as my 04 rx8. The interior isnt perfect but pretty good for a car that is almost 30 years old. and it needs a paint job.

Purchase price you ask? Im trading a 2006 Polaris Predator 500 that no one uses anymore.

The only let down with the entire car is the fact that it is automatic. I hope to eventually do a tranny swap. Correct me if Im wrong but isnt the tranny used in those a boyd warner t-5?

Anyway, any advice, tips, or general comments from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
The Good Twin

w00t! Welcome to ZDriver, and to Z ownership!

About the trans... all 81 turbos had the 3speed auto. The 82-83 had the option for the BW T5. Many people run the stock n/a trans w/ their turbo motor too.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM

Welcome!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM

thanks nismopick. Its too bad though, my friend just junked his 82. I couldve used everything from his car. Oh well, Ill just drive it as is for a while anyway.

I already posted pics of my mazdas but ill get some of the 280 as soon as I can.
This Thursday is the day. Im freakin pumped!!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Über User

oooooooh mazda, the wankel was such a great idea, yet still with almost only 2 moving parts it still manages to blow every 50k (FD3S mostly) and is the most sensitive engine to heat ever. as well as the most fuel inefficient lol. other than that, amazing motors. tiny and powerful. almost traded my bike and 3k cash for a FD3S a few days ago, but jsut couldn't do it for practicality reasons... damn do i love that car though...

also, very simple swap to 5spd.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 PM

yeah man, no doubt FDs are awesome. I wish I had one. But im pretty sure everyone does. But talk about engines blowing. Im having some issues with my FC right now. My wastegate decided not to work for me while I was street tuning and I overboosted. I have a lot of diagnostic work ahead of me. But my ultimate fear is a blown coolant seal. It will just kill me if I have to shell out the cash to rebuild the engine. Ive been slowly building it into a badass drift car since before I was 16 and now have over $14K into the thing total. It is, by far, my absolute favorite car I will probably ever have but, damn, it pisses me off.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM

Name:  280.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  166.8 KB

Its been a while since Ive posted but heres a pic of my 280. Its getting painted and will be done next weekend. I will throw more pics up then.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 AM

correct me if i am wrong but arent those euro spec bumpers? And welcome!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 AM

??? I have no idea. If they are someone really should buy them so I can get the body kit I want.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jessezx
correct me if i am wrong but arent those euro spec bumpers? And welcome!!!!
I'm not sure how you'd tell from a side profile view like that... they look normal to me. The only difference w/ Euro bumpers is that they don't have the two black "nubbins" (for lack of a better term) that pop out from the bumper surface.

That's a good lookin 81T!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:17 PM

ok i thought they also stopped short like that as well
Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

naw all the early 280ZX's had bumpers like that. Cuz mine has the same kind lol
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

nice find... not too often you see a turbo slick top!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

No kidding, nice find. If that is an original turbo. That would be the first factory turbo slicktop 280zx. I have ever seen! It is in really nice shape. Look forward, to watching this progress. Props.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

thanks guys. and yes it is all original. the interior is kinda meh. but not all that bad. its got a dash cap so i really dont even want to think about what it looks like under there. anyone got any of the grey rear int panels that are in good shape? ohh and i need carpet too. the guy i bought it from cut some house carpet and threw in there???

I have some plans for it, though, including body kit, new struts w/lowering springs, wheels, restoring the interior. and im not sure how you guys would feel about it but im really leaning towards and rb20 swap. put one in a friends 240sx a couple years back. loved it. awesome engine
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 AM

forgot to ask if anyone could help me out with a little electrical issue with it. tach doesnt work and nothing but the clock lights up when i turn on the lights. havent really had a chance to look into it as its been at the body shop for about a month. fuses are all good and all the gauges work though, besides the tach. i should probably mention that the previous owner put a jdm speedo in it.