280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Hi everybody! Tired of lurking, decided to post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
welcome to zdriver and z's.

dont mind snowy--he's really smart and has virginia ears..............
Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Taste My Rainbow

^^^^ lol you mean smart ***... jk snowy
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
well... you could also go to these sites (im sober and wow....) to look for a S30 chassis with a turbo swap already done. VERY easy to do.
try
ebaymotors.com
hybridz.org
zcar.com
classiczcars.com

i cruise the classifieds of those sites EVERY day new **** all the time. amazing. start searching through them
I've been checking ebaymotors/hybridz/zcar.com for a while now but have only had any luck with zcar.com. I'm trying to find a car within driving distance to pick it up so I can see it in person and everything before I purchase. I'm waiting on the '83 ZXT with 69K orig miles Hopefully that should come through for me.. Then I'll have a Z in a month parked in my garage until I come back for good in June I don't doubt the amount of talent and worksmanship of most of the users on those message boards, but I've always been skeptical about buying cars with rebuilt motors or motor swaps. Its just a little more important to me right now because this will be my primary car and I like the reassurance of an 'all-original' car, even though its over 20 years old and all. (Which is also why I'm trying to only go for low mileage, well taken care of cars) Doesn't mean I haven't considered buying an S30 with the L28et swap already done, it just means I haven't found the right one yet. Thanks for the welcomes and info though guys, I appreciate it.

Daniel
Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM
The Evil Twin

that's a good idea. for myself I would go for a motor swapped car, but I would assume that problems will arrise and I'll have to 'fix' quite a few things that the previous owner didn't do right.
and I'm already familar with the car.

My 280ZX was stock when I got it and was very reliable. 132K when I bought it in 1996
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Über User

thing is with ALL STOCK. is ***** old. its gonna be brittle its gonna break crack rupture... most competant people that swap or rebuild motors have mashine work done professionally and put in new parts... kinda hard to screw up on the assembly part. after that its the install. now is a great chance to replace all the connectors wires sensors vacume and fuel lines.... you just need to find some one that was mechanically inclined and loved the car. dont be scared of a car that was rebuilt or swapped cause if you can drive it, you can drive it. tehn whatever goes wrong will most likely be from age.

on a side note, i degressed my zx engine sprayed it down. now it no start. pretty sure i got no spark. ****. so im gonna let it dry out try it again if no go. im gonna be hella pissed start swapping the motors and replacing all the wires and connecters in teh process. oh man as soon as i started i knew I KNEW it would happen. i said it in my head im like... this ****in car is not going to start now.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Big Poppa

welcome to zdriver!! and skittle some guys at hybridz are gonna mass produce the gnose for the zx here soon, lots of interest it seems
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 AM

thing is with ALL STOCK. is ***** old. its gonna be brittle its gonna break crack rupture... most competant people that swap or rebuild motors have mashine work done professionally and put in new parts... kinda hard to screw up on the assembly part. after that its the install. now is a great chance to replace all the connectors wires sensors vacume and fuel lines.... you just need to find some one that was mechanically inclined and loved the car. dont be scared of a car that was rebuilt or swapped cause if you can drive it, you can drive it. tehn whatever goes wrong will most likely be from age.

on a side note, i degressed my zx engine sprayed it down. now it no start. pretty sure i got no spark. ****. so im gonna let it dry out try it again if no go. im gonna be hella pissed start swapping the motors and replacing all the wires and connecters in teh process. oh man as soon as i started i knew I KNEW it would happen. i said it in my head im like... this ****in car is not going to start now.
I know that there are rebuilt/swapped motor cars out there that have been babied and are in great shape, but its too hard to tell which ones are the right ones, especially if you cant inspect them in person or have them professionally inspected. Even then, there is room for error. I know these cars are old and the parts may be brittle, weak, or have the possibility of rupturing, but I guess those are some of the things you have to deal with when purchasing an old car like these. I like the reassurance of a well kept all original car, but as I said.. the deal may fall through. If it does, maybe then will I look for some of the older S30's. I really would enjoy a S30 L28et swap. Thanks for the alternative points

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
welcome to zdriver!! and skittle some guys at hybridz are gonna mass produce the gnose for the zx here soon, lots of interest it seems
The G-nose, in my opinion, makes the S130 look a lot more modern and eliminates the bulky big bumper that a lot of people don't like. I personally think the G-nose looks pretty cool from the pictures I've seen (which weren't so many..) but I also like keeping the stock lines by keeping the bumpers on. On that note, does anyone know where I can find pictures of some 280zx's with the MSA Aero Kit 1? The 2nd kit seems to be more popular and looks like tons of people have it.

By the way, are there any other pieces to the G-nose set? Side skirts, rear bumper, spoiler?

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Taste My Rainbow

the best spoiler in my opinion is the mini whale tail or the one the ZXR has
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL

gotta replaCE ANY AND EVERYTHING RUBBER OR PLASTIC oops---or it will be dust first time needed------

snowy--dont you know by now that Z cars hate water worse than cats???????
Old 01-06-2007, 10:50 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by skittle
the best spoiler in my opinion is the mini whale tail or the one the ZXR has
That and the F-40 wing looks ****. I am putting one on my '81, after I fix him up. But yeah the ZXR wing, is next in line.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM

OK, I have never ask this, but what is a "G" nose? Got any pics so I won't be in the dark anymore?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Sorry thxone, I've been searching for pictures of the G-nose for a while now and I can't seem to remember where I saw the pictures. I thought it was on this site in the gallery but I may have been mistaken, my search came up with 0 results. Anyhow, the G-nose is a rare JDM front that from what I know was originally designed for the S30's which came over to the S130's later. Theyre very expensive and there are few within the US. I heard you could order a G-nose front from MPJ Auto over in the UK, but after shipping and tax I heard it runs anywhere from 1-2grand or something outrageous like that. If I come by the pictures again, I'll be sure to post them. Perhaps someone else has a picture.

Daniel

Edit: Found the picture, sorry I don't have more. This is the infamous "G-nose" or "Gnose" you've heard of

Last edited by mrgoochio; 01-06-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:19 PM

WOW, look at that thing, they should have made them all like that!!! I like that front piece alot.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 PM

You can have one for the low price of $1,999.99 too! Haha just kidding, but from what I've heard they really are around that much. I guess its one of those JDM things huh? On another note, I've been awake since 5:30am and its now 3 hours later and I'm bored out of my mind. I can't wait until I buy a car.. which hopefully will be an S130 or S30. I haven't really been looking into any other cars... Suggestions for alternatives? (For the sake of boredom and discussion!)

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Big Poppa

naw just stick with the early z cars, up to 83. dont bother looking at anything else. the thread with the gnose is from hydridz, its nasty expensive, but if we all order one, then ship them in my buddies containers which he ships once a month, it may get cheaper. i want a gnose, but i like my airdam too much
Old 01-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Are there sideskirts/rear bumper/spoiler for the Gnose set or is the front bumper it?

Daniel

Edit: This was posted in zcar.com's boards, but the poster was unsure of what bumper this is. Do you guys know what it is? Looks similar to the Gnose.

Last edited by mrgoochio; 01-06-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Taste My Rainbow

just the front bumper
Old 01-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Interesting, AMG style wheels on a Z . . . . .
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by skittle
just the front bumper
Bummer

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by apollo
Interesting, AMG style wheels on a Z . . . . .
I was thinking more ugly then interesting.. I really don't like the wheels on this car. Anyhow, anyone have any ideas about what kind of bumper that is? Its also pretty nice for those that like the Gnose. Looks like theres sidemarkers incorporated..

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

It is a Gnose for the S30 Z cars. Not our S130's.
And as far as the wheels go, just interesting that someone wold spend that much on wheels that dont really go with the car. They are nice wheels, jsut on a Benz, not a Z
Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM

That is interesting. Looks decent though. I knew a guy who did a ford302 swap into his 80zx and then completed the sacrilege with some 5-star pony rims. Looked... odd.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Didn't want to make a new thread just to check, so does www.classiczcars.com work for you guys? Seems like it hasn't been working for me for the last day or so.

Daniel
Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Doesn't post much...

Wow!

This thread is so long now that I forgot if I ever actually welcomed you to ZDriver or not so...

Welcome!

Rod.

Quick Reply: Hi everybody! Tired of lurking, decided to post!