280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

High Noon! This town ain't big enough for the two of us!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Doesn't post much...

High Noon! This town ain't big enough for the two of us!

Well, I find myself at a serious crossroads. I still have much more work to do on the 280ZX but it is certainly much much closer to how I want it than the new Z32 is. The Z32 on the other hand looks as if it's going to be an uphill and expensive challenge. I want that Z32 bad though. It is an amazing car to drive and it's been a dream project of mine for a long time. It's not in any way practical to keep both. I don't have the time or the resources to finish the 280ZX and give fair time to the Z32 both. I can sell the 280 and take a HUGE loss (which I always knew would be the case) and use the money for the Z32, or... I can unload the Z32 which is almost worthless in it's current state and has already cost me a few "Benjamins" just in registration and what little I have purchased for it. Bottom line though, I won't get enough out of the Z32 to make a real difference on the 280ZX. I kinda want them both... But I kinda don't. I'm faced with the grim reality also that the 280 is now 26 years old. It's always going to be an uphill struggle to keep it up. The Z32 is only 16 years old, but is a maintenance PIG compared to the 280 and needs a lot more work currently. The more I poke my head around the engine bay of that Z32 the more I am dumbfounded by it's complexity compared to the 280. This might wind up coming down to a coin toss. I know most of you guys will say "Keep the 280ZX!" and I understand... Oh, but if you only knew the power of the dark side!... Driving the Z32 is just realizing that it's in a whole other league. Damn! What to do? .................................................. ............................Rod.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM

We are all faced with difficult situations Rod. And you can do one of two things. Stand up and face them or run away. IMO, you should run away That way you can keep both

No seriously though, dont think about which one is going to be most difficult or expensive or anything like that. Cause in all honesty that will probably end up as a 50/50 thing. What you should really put your though into is which one you would miss the most. Which one has your heart. Are you going to get all bummed out when you walk out to the garage in the morning and see the Z32 there instead of the 280?

Well if all else fails, remember this: Misplaced, your trust in the darkside is
Just remember what happened to Anakin when he turned to the dark side. Sure he got a cool new suit (Z32) but now he's hardly human. Dont let that Z32 turn you into a robot dude
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM
NisTuner

One morning Rod walks into the garage and asks the Z32. "And the 280ZX?"
Z32: "It's gone..."
Rod: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !"

In all fairness, If it were me It would be so hard to choose. Personally I love the look and design of the 280ZX way more than the Z32, so I'd much rather keep the ZX over the Z32, but I can understand the want for the power and speed of a Z32, but after working with a Z31. I don't think I'd even want to work on a Z32 from what I've heard. As j-said it's up to you. Personally I'd say if the Z32 is at the point where it's gonna need a ton of work, I'd say keep the 280ZX, unload the Z32 and look into eventually finding one that will start you off farther ahead.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

duowing has a good point. if the z32 is going to be more of a hassle than its worth, ditch it. maybe down the road you will be able to have both. i feel pretty bad getting rid of my z31, and i have nowhere near as much invested into it as you have in the 280. on the other hand, if the z32 is what you really want, and it's not just going to end up a money pit, go with it.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I dont know Rod . . . I have driven a Z32 and have to agree. You really cant beat 10 or so years of technology. But there is just certain things years of technical advancements cant get you. A 280 like yours is not a common thing. Not every other car on the road is a beautifully restored 280. How often is it that you see one on the road. Of those times you see them, how often are they as nice, or anywhere near as nice as yours? You get looks and amdiration while driving JUST CUZ. Yes the Z32 is a gorgeous car as well. But the fact that you can drive that down the i-5 and see little 16 year old johny driving his Z32 that he knows nothing about and has riced out beyond beliefe and then make eye contact only to have him sneer and not even realize that your 280 is a Z is terrible. Ive found that with the older Z car community that there is an understood and profound brotherhood so to speak. Doesnt matter where or who, we all seem to nod or aknowledge and respet each other. Not the Z32-Z33 crowd though. Its a mix of new blood and old. Young people with no clue and Z buffs of all ages. Now . . .I personaly would keep both. But keep your 280 your daily. You dont have to start the Z32 project just yet. But think. The Z32 will soon have a follwing just as the 280 and other Z's and you'll have BOTH. Storage it. Slowly build you inventory of resto parts and what not. Pretty soon that Z32 is going to be in the same boat as the 280, old and hard to find in good condition. They are just going to keep racking up miles with undeserving drivers and so on. Keep them both and enjoy that sh*t!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:40 PM
The Evil Twin

Your Z32 is a family car, right? Automatic 2+2?
Either swap out that mess of an engine for a RWD SR20/auto from an Infinity I20, or sell the whole car and buy yourself a Sentra.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Ruff Ryder

just rent out a storage unit, throw it in there until the 280 is done, then when you have enough money finish the z32.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 PM

Also consider this Rod: If you ditch the 280 you may never find one in the condition that you've brought yours to. Its rare to find one for sale with as much work as you've put into yours. The Z32 however will always be available in any condition. The non turbo cars can be picked up in a running condition for $3500 and up. So it's not like you're looking at a substantial investment if you ever want to jump back in with another Z32. If you get rid of the 280 you might realize that you didnt want to and then you're stuck back at square one with that car. You'll have to buy another half *** S130 and start all over.

Or yeah, just keep both if you can.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Bleach
Your Z32 is a family car, right? Automatic 2+2?
Either swap out that mess of an engine for a RWD SR20/auto from an Infinity I20, or sell the whole car and buy yourself a Sentra.
Uh, no... It's a 2+0 five speed, but you were close . You know me, I ain't down with the 2+2 thing... It's all good for those who like 'em and yours (Bleach) is pretty damn cool I must say but unless my wife buys a 2+2 you'll never see one in my driveway... .................................................R od.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Rod dude, you know how I feel about your 280. And I know how you have always wanted a Z32. And I am happy you found one. But not to sacrifice, and get rid of the 280. I mean do you realize it has been your car that has kept me going, and inspired me to finish my Z. Yes man, believe it or not, it has mainly been your Z, that has kept me longing to drive one again. Of course with a few other people on here. But besides all that, if you want both, then just finish one, and then the other. If you absolutely have to get rid of one. Please make sure it is not the 280. That would actually break my heart, not trying to sound mushy or anything. But I would be saddened, if you got rid of the 280. Allright, I have said my peace, but please think about it hard before you make a decision.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

the way i see it.. which on will you regret selling more.. if it were me... id regret selling the 280ZX more. you put more of your time sweat and tears into that car and selling it for a loss would be the worst thing you could do. the Z32 is an awsome car... if you can get it running.. but at what cost.. i say sell the z32 and collect your losses and maybe someday in the future you can buy another Z32 that in better shape than the one you got now.. if you sould your 280... findoing one in the future in the same condition that yours is now is going to be a lot harder....

if it were up to me and i was in the same situation as you... id prolly sell my 350 before i sould my 280...
Old 02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Doesn't post much...

All good points... I think I might just put the Z32 in the garage under a cover for a while and forget about it. Lot's to do on that 280 before MSA! .............................................Rod.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

There you go . . .Think of it as a fine wine. Just gets better with age. Dont open that bottle just yet

Last edited by apollo; 02-02-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Doesn't post much...

Actually, I think I made up my mind when I was thinking about how well my little 280ZX did on my banzai run to Florida and back. It dawned on me that when I left Florida to drive back to California I didn't even so much as open the hood before I left. I made the 2500 mile trip in 36 hours with a stop for the night included. That car did an amazing job considering its age and the fact that it had 230,000 miles on the stock motor. I woulnd't dream of doing thta in any 16 year old Z32. I would be sweating bullets the whole trip "waiting" for the thing to hick up. Not that the Z32 can't be reliable... It's just nowhere near as reliable or predictable as the good old L28 powered 280ZX. Maybe when the car was less than five years old would I have trusted it on a trip like that but now... no way. I can't bring myself to get rid of either one and I made an oath that I would return that Z32 back to it's former glory. It just may be a while before I get the chance. So for now, it's just going to get a little older before it gets a lot better. I still have no fear of taking the 280 on a long trip on short notice. That will probably never be the case with the Z32, at least not without a whole crap load of work and even then it will alway's make me wonder if it's up to the task. Also, I agree that the Z32 will never make people stop, stare and ask questions like the 280 does. I would really miss all the attention that car creates if I let it go. I see tons of nice Z32's everyday. I almost NEVER see nice S130's. There's an older guy here in town that up until about two years ago had the cleanest all original 280ZX I have ever seen. It's an 83 turbo, silver. He kept it very clean all the time. I used to see that thing driving around and I owuld say to myself "Just you wait old man... soon you'll have the second nicest 280ZX in town". Well, he must have heard me or something because the last several times I have seen it, it looks like he has lost interest (or maybe the means) to keep it up. It doesn't take long for a really nice old car to start looking ragged once you stop keeping up with it. It's kinda sad. But, I officially have the nicest 280ZX in town now... Hell, I have the nicest Z in town period if you ask me .................................................. .................................................. ..Rod.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:02 PM

A Z is a hard thing to find around here, I don't even see Z31's or Z32's. A Drivable Z is a very hard thing to find here. I am working on geting 3 Back on the road where they belong. I walk in a junk yard and see this purdy car, with weed's around it, and even in it, no head light's, one(small right) hood vent, driver door hanging down to the ground, you can't even sit in it, Motor in pices. Even though it was in such horrable condition, i bought it. At that time i had no idea that it was a 2+2, you could not tell from all the junk and weed's growing inside the car. I did not know it was a 2+2 untill i got her home and cleaned her out, I have had many of chances to git rid of my car, even has the option to trade it for a running 1977 280Z, Even had the worst time trying to get the car to run, But i still have it siting in my driveway. I have heard my motor run Once and it was the best damn thing i ever heard, No ticking, No rod's banging the side of the block, no backfire's, nothing but sweet strong deep sound of a very strong motor trying it's damndist to stay cranked. I sure i have a running spare L28E motor from another 83 280ZX standing by, ready to be droped in, but you don't see me giveing up on what i know will be one the best damn car's and motor i will ever own.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Big Poppa

Alright Good To Hear Your Thinking 280zx Rod, But Have You Thought Of This - Put The 300's Motor In The 280 And Bam , Modern Power With The Stlye Of The 280 That You Love. It Doesnt Have To Be From That 300, Just A Junkyard One. And I Thought You Had A Shop, It May Be The Buisness, But Its A Place To Put The Z32 Until Time And Cash Permits. Put It On Wheelie Boards And Put It In Every Night. Your Z Has Inspired Me Too, All The 280's Ive Seen In Black Look Like Crap, That Ive Ever Seen, I Swore Id Never Paint One Black, Until I Saw Yours, Wow Simple Yet Effective Style. Keep It Rod.....keep It.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 PM

Hey bro, I say store the Z32, just untill time and energy permit. You own it, it is your car, how much time and $ you put into it is up to you. I seriously hope you don't sell the S130. Everyone around here would hate me, they would blame it all on me. I like it around here, Please don't make everyone hate me, PLEASE. And like everyone has been saying you have one of the nicest 280 ZX around. That is something to be very proud of, and something that can't be replaced.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Lost Vegaz
Hey bro, I say store the Z32, just untill time and energy permit. You own it, it is your car, how much time and $ you put into it is up to you. I seriously hope you don't sell the S130. Everyone around here would hate me, they would blame it all on me. I like it around here, Please don't make everyone hate me, PLEASE. And like everyone has been saying you have one of the nicest 280 ZX around. That is something to be very proud of, and something that can't be replaced.
Dude, No way would anyone blame you if I ever sold my S130 in favor of a Z32. That would be lame beyond belief. I still owe you big time for the sweet deal on the Z32... I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining about it. If anything, I'm frustrated because I want so badly to fix the thing up. That car deserves to be brought back to glory just like my S130 did. I will get it there someday but probably not as soon as I was hoping for. The thing that's got me down is that I want so bad to get crackin' on the Z32 but there's so much work left to be done on the 280. I really wanted my S130 to be better for the MSA show this year than it was last year but it's actually in a little worse shape now than it was then. I need to get some things done to it and my resources and time are pretty spread out right now. I actually thought it would be really cool to take both Z's up there this year! That doesn't look real likely right now, but it could possibly happen. If the Z32 does make it up there, it won't be a show stopper but it deserves to get back out on the road and get recognized > I love that car already (except for the whole not wanting to start thing ). It's growing on me everyday. I have determined that one of my many callings in life is to keep as many Z cars from the crusher as possible... To make them shine like they were new again so that future generations can appreciate them when they become a distant memory. That Z32 WILL get it's rightfull restoration AND the S130 project will get finished too. .................................................. ............Rod.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

sounds good rod. i wish i had the time, space, and cash to fix up my z31 instead of getting rid of it. fortunately i have a guy interested in it that wants to restore it. i would feel a lot better having it go to someone like that than a kid that would rice it out and run it into the dirt. i really think you would regret getting rid of the 280. that thing is pretty. but i know exactly where you are coming from. the z32 just gets you hooked once you drive it. there is no comparison between it and my z31. i always thought my z31 drove so nice, then i parked it and drove just the z32 for a week. had to move the z31, and was amazed at how different it felt. i couldnt believe it was the same car, it just felt so weird. but it sounds like you have decided to hang on to both, ad that is awesome. one of these days i'll get myself an older z again and bring it back to the glory it deserves.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:07 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

That's great Rod, glad you decided to hang on to both Z's. Especially the 280zx, it is a sweet *** car. And it has so much potential, it isn't even funny man. Anyway good luck to you and your Z's. And hopefully , we will see each other at MSA. Can't tell you for sure quite yet, but who knows? I will try my absolute damndest to be there.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Doesn't post much...

By the way, thanks to everyone who mentioned that my car was an inspiration for them. My car is like one of those playboy models though... Looks great on film but see her with no make up (i.e. a good wax job) and she isn't quite what you expected. Nah, I'm way more critical of it than most people are. I notice every little door ding, chip, ripple and imperfection it has. It really does look a lot better in pictures than it really is though. My biggest fear in life right now is that some of you guys are gonna see my car at MSA in April and say "That's it!? what a turd!" . I'll do my best to shine her up all purdy though. Thanks again for the props. .............................................Rod.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 PM
The Evil Twin

ok, I'm going to MSA this year to see the Z turd
Old 02-03-2006, 12:16 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Me 2! Me 2!

Keep 'em all Rod!

Anyway, if you like the power of an NA Z32, just make your 280 faster!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 PM

Yeah, hang on to em both. slowly build the Z32
Old 02-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Playboy models, Z turds and Bleach all at MSA?! IM THERE!!!!! Good to hear you are keeping both. Maybe you could drag up the Z32 in non-op condition to so that when you bring it back to MSA in its full glory we'll all have an idea of how far you came?

Last edited by apollo; 02-04-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: High Noon! This town ain't big enough for the two of us!