280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Holy Crap...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
go electric. lol.

theres a chair that [i]can[i] talkS holy crap HOLY CRAP!.... in peter's play house...
it's "freakin' talks" moron.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Ok...Car is all back together with no leaks so far...running cool too. Also I do not have the upper part of the fan shroud on yet...guess what...I can see the timing tab unobstructed. I hooked up the light...my 1979 N/A is sitting at about say 30 degrees or so...basically WAY ****ING OFF!! So now I shall time her...bad thing is I have one tiny mark left on my small gas gauge. Gripes!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Set the timing and my idle doesn't hang high now...drops right down when I push in the clutch like it should...the screech noise is still there and still coming from the rear...fuel pump swap tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
NisTuner

You fix your waterpump and the same day I find out my radiator has sprung a leak.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Just did a look over of both cars and both fuel pumps...the one on the '79 might be original as it still has the hard protective coating on the electrical connections. The Turbo has had a new pump put on as there is only bits and pieces of the protective coatings left on the wires. The pump on the turbo is different looking though and looks to be in better shape...oh and it is shiny.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM

The fuel pump was not the problem. The screech is still coming from the rear and the car still bogs when it gets above 3,000rpm. WTF? The screech may be holes in the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car. There is still a few things to swap over like the fuel damper, FPR, and Fuel filter. If need be I can swap the pickup tube in the tank.

Hell, I could swap the whole fuel rail from the turbo including injectors. The car is acting like it is starved for fuel when driving but when it is sitting still it seems to rev freely. It is very strong below 3,000rpm though so I am very confused. What do you all think of this?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
The Good Twin

I'm pretty sure I said it wasn't the fuel pump when you posted that vid a while back... Have you checked the a/f ratio?

And no... don't "swap the turbo injectors on" because they are a lot larger than the n/a's. Unless you love wasting gas and flooding the motor... then I suggest [not] doing it.

Last edited by lww; 10-04-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I'm pretty sure I said it wasn't the fuel pump when you posted that vid a while back... Have you checked the a/f ratio?

And no... don't "swap the turbo injectors on" because they are a lot larger than the n/a's. Unless you love wasting gas and flooding the motor... then I suggest doing it.
I have not checked the A/F ratio...these things you keep suggesting are not free. I don't see how the A/F ratio is going to change anyway...there is no O2 sensor to clog or burn out.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
NisTuner

Also the rails wouldn't swap anyway as the turbo doesn't have the part for the cold start injector. So you'd have to pull both rails, and then pull the injectors off the rails, pretty much for nothing. Check all your vacuum lines, does the Non-turbo have the VCM or AAC? If it does check to make sure those are correctly hooked up. Also check your ECU wiring.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
these things you keep suggesting are not free.
Welcome to owning a car... where repairs usually aren't free.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Welcome to owning a car... where repairs usually aren't free.
I am saying this in a monotone voice...I am working with what I have and can afford...which is nothing but free fixes...don't make me find some way to come jack yo shitz.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Time for a Honda Civic.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM

an honda civic does cost money too. lol
Old 10-04-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by chinesekid
You just made the list buddy.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

But not much...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 PM

next

Are you sure you don't have a partly blocked exhaust?

I have heard of cats being mostly plug ed and causing enough back pressure
to bog down the motor.

try unhooking the exhaust before the muffler

just a thought
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM

I have thought about that....my friends '80 is disconnected before the cat...rust lol so I will unbolt mine to be sure.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL

turbo'd roller skates.......moped.......bicycle.........oops.............

Old 10-06-2007, 12:44 AM
NisTuner

that sounds almost similar to how my turbo sounded when it was cold, because the exhaust manifold leak would be super loud, but I don't know what would be making that noise. I'm thinking maybe wheel/break related or exhaust.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 PM

I think the wheels and brakes are good...I looked at the mustache bar when I was swapping fuel pumps and the rubber is all degraded. I just went to the gas station and the car would not start when I got back in it....had to walk all the way home and get my portable jumper and she fired right up...time to swap the Interstate battery into the '79.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM

Well I disconnected the exhaust right after the cat...the pipe is still hanging there as I can't get it the rest of the way out till tomorrow. Here is a sound clip of the 1979 N/A straight from the manifold to the cat. Sorry no video...it is dark and the camera was under the car.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Ok I went ahead and got the rest of the pipe out...hack saw!! Took it around the block a few times....still not fixed...it's a little peppier but still bogs with more than half gas....but the car sounds SOOOO much better.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM
The Good Twin

You hacked out the exhaust??? Well... that's another expense to fix now. Sounds like it woulda been cheaper and less hassle to swap that turbo motor in...
Old 10-07-2007, 12:00 AM

You hacked out the exhaust??? Well... that's another expense to fix now. Sounds like it woulda been cheaper and less hassle to swap that turbo motor in...
Honestly, I don't know why Nissan put mufflers on these cars...sounds way better without the back half of the exhaust on it. It's not loud at all but sounds more like a proper sports car. I am very happy that I took it off. If I could have got the car up higher I would not have had to cut the pipe though I only hacked off the muffler itself...I can still put the pipe back and bolt it to the cat and bolt on a new muffler if need be...though there wont be a need as it sounds better this way.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 AM
NisTuner

The car seems to run fine otherwise right? I mean I could be wrong, but you might want to lean towards the ECU wiring. I know for my Turbo Z when the wiring would mess up or whatever the car would pretty much run fine, but once I'd hit around 3500 RPM the car just had no more power.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap...