280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

How can you tell a borg warner from datsun?? 5-speed....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM

How can you tell a borg warner from datsun?? 5-speed....

With the 79 having multiple failures brakes ,clutch, power window motor, wiring issues with the fuel pump time to say good bye. I bought a t-top with a blown head what I thought was an 83 is a 80 after finally signing the title. it has a blown head n/a how ever this was a crack pots car. All new poly bushings fancy suspension parts slotted rotors brembo's magnaflow 2.5 exhaust and high end ignition system the big WTF ! is it has a rack pinion steering and my rear end has cv joints ??? build date 7 /79 tittle date 3/80??? My source says its all been swapped? So with the motor exchange Im going to need a new clutch how do I visually tell if it is a borg?? Feels way different than my stock. Mines a 9 and the borg is a 9.5 dia disk i think. Or do they sell just a clutch alignment tool so I can swap flywheels? Oh last quick question as not to have many threads I have a funky pipe from under the manifold going to a box next to the mass air sensor then going to the intake as a separate smaller filter never seen this on my 79 or 81??? Once again thanks BTW anyone want great parts send me a mesg 79 is complete I have a stock pyle hate to junk with good rust free parts!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Oh forgot how nasty is it just to pull the engine leaving the tranny in the car?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
The Good Twin

The clutch sizes are based on 2seater, or 2+2 / Turbo (yes, the 2+2 & turbo both use the same size clutch). The alignment tool is the same size for both, as the only difference is the friction area.

So transmission doesn't matter, but if this is a "mixed-bag" of parts car, who knows what size clutch he has in it. To answer your question anyway, yes, the BW T5 is very different visibly:

Old 08-21-2011, 06:00 PM

Yea its the stock nissan....... what i know is i got it off a 18 yr old kid. car has no heater core or anything behind the dash but the car is 100% rust free so here I go yet again. Bought it for 600.00 while i was working on my rusted 79 so at least this time im starting off right. Wife is ready to call tlc to get me on hoarders lol so I just want to get it done now I drove this car with the bad head and it still flys much more than my 79 so im just going to switch out motors and leave the gear train alone. what is this on the Bitch scale? or am i better doing a full engine tranny pull like my 79???
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
With the 79 having multiple failures brakes ,clutch, power window motor, wiring issues with the fuel pump time to say good bye. I bought a t-top with a blown head what I thought was an 83 is a 80 after finally signing the title. it has a blown head n/a how ever this was a crack pots car. All new poly bushings fancy suspension parts slotted rotors brembo's magnaflow 2.5 exhaust and high end ignition system the big WTF ! is it has a rack pinion steering and my rear end has cv joints ??? build date 7 /79 tittle date 3/80??? My source says its all been swapped? So with the motor exchange Im going to need a new clutch how do I visually tell if it is a borg?? Feels way different than my stock. Mines a 9 and the borg is a 9.5 dia disk i think. Or do they sell just a clutch alignment tool so I can swap flywheels? Oh last quick question as not to have many threads I have a funky pipe from under the manifold going to a box next to the mass air sensor then going to the intake as a separate smaller filter never seen this on my 79 or 81??? Once again thanks BTW anyone want great parts send me a mesg 79 is complete I have a stock pyle hate to junk with good rust free parts!
You've got the turbo rear end - nice. Titles and registrations get messed up all the time. Do the fire wall plaque, fire wall engraved, dash and door jam VINs all match each other? If so then I'd go with whatever the door jam says. But then again who cares because you've got the important stuff like the CV rear end and the rack and pinion steering.

The funky pipe woulding be coming off a turbo and into an intercooler? Post some pics...
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The clutch sizes are based on 2seater, or 2+2 / Turbo (yes, the 2+2 & turbo both use the same size clutch). The alignment tool is the same size for both, as the only difference is the friction area.

So transmission doesn't matter, but if this is a "mixed-bag" of parts car, who knows what size clutch he has in it. To answer your question anyway, yes, the BW T5 is very different visibly:

Take the shift boot off so you can see the transmission from inside the car. If it's got a square "lid" that the shifter goes into with four bolts that holds it down then you've got the T5...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM

Or...just look at the side of the transmission case for "Borg Warner" as shown above...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM

storage of the z is at a barn up my camp.........so gotta wait till saturday. Its a heater core type line going to a small filter as if it is a breather filter you buy for a civic.......The rubber meets a chrome line kicking 90 degrees under the intake. Once again haven't had the time to start yet so going to jack it up.... No boost gauge and no whoosh noises just sounds extremely cammed. or its losing so much compression from the bad head. However it hit 70 in three short shifts. 4-5 secs tops my camp is off a very straight empty roadway so I laid the fog down with a buddy. But my source says its a bad spedo reading with the r200 rear not calibrated with the gearing... Main question here can I just buy a clutch alinement tool. Oh lol yea this car was killed by a 18 year old gangsta throwing orange "Dex cool" on top of glycol "green" cause it was "performance" so depressing.... Shot the cocket from the rad it looks new however I know I must replace the rad.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

storage of the z is at a barn up my camp.........so gotta wait till saturday. Its a heater core type line going to a small filter as if it is a breather filter you buy for a civic.......The rubber meets a chrome line kicking 90 degrees under the intake. Once again haven't had the time to start yet so going to jack it up.... No boost gauge and no whoosh noises just sounds extremely cammed. or its losing so much compression from the bad head. However it hit 70 in three short shifts. 4-5 secs tops my camp is off a very straight empty roadway so I laid the fog down with a buddy. But my source says its a bad spedo reading with the r200 rear not calibrated with the gearing... Main question here can I just buy a clutch alinement tool. Oh lol yea this car was killed by a 18 year old gangsta throwing orange "Dex cool" on top of glycol "green" cause it was "performance" so depressing.... Shot the cocket from the rad it looks new however I know I must replace the rad.
Sorry I'm from another country. Is this some dialect of Pennslyvainian because I'm not sure how to translate this one....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Yea sorry about that......what happens when you use a I phone .
anyway i will post pics as soon as I get up there. got a guy from work comeing up and doing my clutch.were just going to swap transmissions and clutch disks. and leave the flywheels alone. so im good now just to break down and get started kind of sucks being I finished my 79 in january but the body is mint on this one so yep starting all over.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM

hey.. quick question.. i found this site by googleing trying to figure out what this bolt is that i pulled from my trasmission while working on it.. i found this picture with DO NOT REMOVE.. what is it and how in gods name do i fix it.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ Welcome to ZDriver!

Click: Datsun ZCARS and Borg-Warner NWC T5s

Be careful not to unscrew the large nut on the top/driver side of the transmission. It's NOT an oil filler or inspection nut. It's really the pivot bolt for the shifter arm that controls reverse. If you take it out it disconnects the arm and drops a circlip into the bottom of the trans. You have to completely open the trans case to reset everything.

To open the case you take off the shifter and drive a roll-pin out of the shifter rod. Then remove the 8 bolts around the housing to remove it. You can then take the top cover off the transmission and expose the gears.
Lot's-o-fun! Yuck!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

What was your RPM's when you took it down the roadway? 3k is about 70mph in 5th gear in an n/a anyway. And sometimes the speedo's can me off over the years. That is why I use my iPhone, and watch my rpm gauge when I am driving my Z. My speedometer is only off 4-5mph, because of my 8 inch wide tires. Hope that helps, and good luck man.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
My speedometer is only off 4-5mph, because of my 8 inch wide tires.
Width has no bearing on the speedometer. Height / diameter makes the difference.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 AM

^^^ Welcome to ZDriver!

Click: Datsun ZCARS and Borg-Warner NWC T5s

Lot's-o-fun! Yuck!
Luckily my buddy's dad noticed I had a T5 and let me know about this. His Jeep apparently has the same transmission and he undid that bolt once. Oops.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Width has no bearing on the speedometer. Height / diameter makes the difference.
Well then....my tires are also a little shorter than stock. lol