280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

how much air can you put into a nonturbo l28e

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 PM

how much air can you put into a nonturbo l28e

how much air can you put into a stock engine until you blow the head gasket? (this is a L28E) I'm just looking to get some cheap horse power because I'm broke for a while. right now i have all the stock hoses, stripped the old air cleaner and put a aftermarket filter on, i also have a 12x12 inter cooler I'm wanting to put on it with a electronic supercharger (like i said cheap horse power) there rated at 2-4 psi i do believe? i heard you can put up to like 6 psi into the engine before the head gaskets blow, but im not a boost type of guy i like pure hp. anyone have any idea?
another question is, what about all my vacuum stuff that runs off of there? since I'm going from suction to compression will this effect the way the bypass valves and regulators work?

Last edited by michanic220; 07-23-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 AM
I'm a Registered User!

you aren't going from suction to compression as far as the sensors are concerned. There is a vacuum that is created when fast flowing air goes by.

As for this cheap horse power, I hate the idea, so I will not be answer the rest of the questions.
Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

hahaha sorry their is no thing as cheap horse power. why waste ur time on that crap. u could of searched and found better ways to make you car better. it takes a bunch little things to make one BIG thing. as far as that electric supercharger ordeal u have go ahead and stick ur finger in it because its a stupid idea. You get nothing out of it. really hope its not the end of the world just yet........u have a inter cooler why not wait and save for turbo parts. if you dont understan what and where those vacum lines go i would not mess with them. its gonna be real hard to blow a headgasket and lines with a electronic supercharger unless you do something stupid. honestly what do you think u can get out of this cheap horse power. i dont want to come off being a *** but u really need to do some searching on this site as well as others. ..wait i just reread ur post. you are saying you are a n/a type guy and you want natural horse power BUT you stick a cheap foreighn object in you car to make so called horse power........wow. this is funny. the inlines are great engines but dont ask much from a n/a. their are some fast and hot n/a builds but they cost some pretty pennys.

Last edited by 260zturbo; 07-24-2008 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM

http://westslope.craigslist.org/car/766964211.html

Here. Just get this and it will help with hp.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Externally Wastegated

Weren't you asking a while back to supercharge or turbocharge your Z? Anyway, there is no such thing as cheap hp unless you go turbo. $ for $ it's hard to match. Otherwise use nitrous. The only downside is that you have to fill the bottle up after a few runs. Those e-superchargers or whatever they call it these days don't work. Your engine will flow more cfm than that thing will ever push. It'll be just like a Tornado -> a restriction. I think you outta start reading Corky Bell's Maximum Boost book to understand forced induction before trying anything. It will make turboing or supercharging your Z a lot clearer.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Über User

i gotta wonder if an E supercharger could work, not like that one obviously but im talking about a high revving powerful brushless motor cranking over 20k rpm's spinning compressor blades that are in a series like a turbine engine... that would be an interesting experiment. lol. but yeah this post makes me laugh. dont got money dont mod the car. plain and simple. "cheap" comes at a price, if it even works that is

also i turbo'd an NA motor and boosted it at 8psi daily and ray on here has that car now. no blown head gasket and if properly modified to accept more boost it will probably last up to about 15psi before the old head bolts expand enough to blow the gasket or before the old gasket itself just gives up... thats if your lucky could always stress a part much more important.

oh yeah LOL LOL LOL LOL at how the question always comes up and at how the e-charger always makes a return.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
The Evil Twin

Just build an electric car. They are cheap. Only $9,000 to buy the parts and a couple years to get it all set up. EZ
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by Bleach
Just build an electric car. They are cheap. Only $9,000 to buy the parts and a couple years to get it all set up. EZ
That and he will have an electric super charger!!! simmer down now!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
eff good grammar

buy a cam.
in the long run probally cost the same
Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

i was actually reading up and found a post that i don't need to change my head-gasket unless its over 7-8 PSI, is this correct? my injectors were all plugged up and we cleaned them and i need new ones because the one on the #1 cyl is fried. BTW, i meant I'm a mechanic, i only know engines, not turbos and i want to learn more about them. my friend is a turbo guy, with a eclipse running 25psi and runs around 160mph. so he's going to help me figure this turbo thing out, so i do believe I'm just going to get everything to turbo charge it and run it at 6-7, maybe 8 psi until i can change the head gasket, i was just asking yawls opinion of the superchargers so no need to get grumpy but i get the point. thanks guys.

Last edited by michanic220; 07-25-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Über User

what kinda mechanic where did you go to school ASE certified if so in what and where do you work cause the first post leads me to think your a young guy aspiring to be a personal mechanic. lol. but w/e no need to be ashamed if you are we all start somewhere.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM

yup, I'm 17 and not certified. question tho, i need new injectors anyways, if i were to buy turbo injectors until i get my turbo, and put those in. would it run? i know it would run lean but could i get by until i get the turbo on?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Über User

wow... no you didnt... we had an EXACT question like that just a few months ago thats why we have the search function and with turbo injectors you would run RICH not lean... you sure about this mechanic thing?

short answer though, your going to foul your plugs. just get used working NA and a set of turbo injectors it'll cost like not much at all... then keep the turbo ones off to the side. infact! i think i have a full set of used but working NA injectors if you want to buy them
Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 PM

how much an injector? and my bad, i meant rich. my brain just doesn't like to function allot. lol. but thats why I'm here, I'm trying to learn about this to do everything right. anyways, another question. i doubt the turbo's have the same mount on a N/A engine then a turbo engine for it to bolt onto the manifold, so I'm either going to have to modify a little or get a turbo manifold, i know the turbo output is square and N/A is round, will a turbo manifold fit on the N/A engine? will the bolt pattern match up?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Anyone read up on the LD28. I just read its basically the same as an L28. Might be fun to have a diesel 280ZX. WOW the tq we already get could really be magnified with a diesel.

Heres one if you want to look at it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3756.m14.l1318
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Über User

the manifold will bolt on fine i did this exact thing i already said that i believe. but you want to run a standalone ECU or the turbo car's electronics. also the NA heads flow less air but you can worry about that later if you even go that far.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Not just diesel. Turbo diesel.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:25 AM

http://westslope.craigslist.org/pts/769113111.html

heres a nissan motor. straight 6 for $1200 you can install.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 AM

if im doing an engine swap then it will be with a 350 chevy small block.
thanks for all the help guys.
so my list is,
i need a
turbo,
turbo injectors
turbo manifold
all the hoses for it,
intercooler(optional)
BOV
boost controller?
boost gauge?
oil lines and pump?
do i need a waste gate??
what do you mean by stand alone ECU?
and down the road a turbo head.
everything with a ? means im questionable if i need that or not.

Last edited by michanic220; 07-27-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:43 AM

this is a really touchy subject here(kinda like the only colors accepted to paint a 280 are black and silver here at zdriver lol) i asked the same question when i got here over a year ago. now im waiting on LS6 with t56 6 speed

BASICLY you want a turbo 280???????????????? you engine swap with a 280ZXT < t for turbo. you dont wanna source all the turbo parts needed to turbo the N/A. add a afm to you8r parts list and take notice of the sticky at the top of the performance page>> ''turbo swap ticking ppl off since 03'' or something like that
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Über User

parts i aquired for my turboing of an NA motor

turbo manifold
turbo
SS oil lines
custom made T to bolt in where oil preesure sender goes for oil feed to turbo
turbo oil pan for return drain from turbo
turbo downpipe
turbo injectors
custom 3inch exhaust made to fit car and downpipe
turbo AFM
turbo wire harness
turbo TPS
turbo ECU
turbo distributor
turbo oil pump
turbo oil pump shaft
just drop the money and get an FMIC with BOV made up dont use the stock J pipe
boost guage

lots of time and research and drawing out how to wire it together
Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

not like we have pages of this info floting around
Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM

well i clicked the sticky "ticking people off since etc" and i followed 10 or 15 hyperlinks and nothing had a list of what i needed. i do believe I'm just going to sell the engine i have now (should be easy with only 20k on it)
and find a turbo engine. or possibly a Donner car.
one more questions tho, my dad had a 5 speed turbo z and totaled it. he could turn rubber in 4 out of 5 gears stock which is pretty sweet.
my z car is a 3 speed automatic.
i want a 5 speed in it so thats why i decided the swap.
but wouldn't the automatic be better with turbo lag?
but it would still drawl power from the wheels.
i think everyone here would recommend a standard over a automatic like i would?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Über User

auto's suck *** turbo lag is a myth and just a *****'s excuse with tech today turbo lag is almost non existant other than the first 2.5k in first gear and thats at a rolling start.

also, in my light weight 260 with slightly more power than stock turbo motor (higher compression internals) i would spin 1st once i hit boost could occasionally spin all of second and then just chirp 3rd... so for your dad to burn rubber in 4 gears is a gross exageration on a stock turbo motor in a car that weighs several hundred pounds more than my car did.... just fyi they arent monstor motors or power houses but are fun ****in engines to mod as soon as you defeat the original primitive EFI system they came with....
Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by dustin_ra
Anyone read up on the LD28. I just read its basically the same as an L28. Might be fun to have a diesel 280ZX. WOW the tq we already get could really be magnified with a diesel.

Heres one if you want to look at it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3756.m14.l1318
i wonder what car it really came out of, 85-88 maxima was a U-11 car which didnt have nearly enough room for that engine in it, FWD and VG and it is still crowded.

Quick Reply: how much air can you put into a nonturbo l28e