280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

How to remove VCV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:51 PM
NisTuner

How to remove VCV?

Ok I want to remove the VCV and plug it off, but I can't figure out how to remove the thing? I'm not sure how to get a wrench on it with the throttle rod and such in the way? Can anyone give me some hints.

Oh by the way is there some sort of trick to making a block off valve? I cut one out of sheet metal cleaned up the surface from where the AAC valve was, I put some gasket maker on there, but for the life of me I can't seem to manage to get the damn thing to seal, it still has a leak. My metal isn't perfectly flat, I've been trying to get it as flat as possible, but I'm not having much luck. I'd think the sealant would help make up for it. otherwise I'll put the AAC back on and just worry about it later.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
The Good Twin

What is the VCV?

And you can't use sheet metal to make a block off plate, you need thick iron plate... like this for the AAC:

Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 PM
NisTuner

That makes a little more sense. The VCV is that weird screw in thing above the AAC on the manifold, it's connected to the 4 way split that comes off the J-pipe. You have the VCV, Air Regulator, J-pipe, and AAC all on that 4 way split.

Oh and something just occurred to me. I noticed that when I removed the AAC the plunger is down or out, does this mean it's open or is it closed? I thought the AAC is supposed to be open when there's no vacuum and closed when there is vaccum.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by duowing
That makes a little more sense. The VCV is that weird screw in thing above the AAC on the manifold, it's connected to the 4 way split that comes off the J-pipe. You have the VCV, Air Regulator, J-pipe, and AAC all on that 4 way split.
Ah... the only time I ever removed that was when I took everything off my manifold to have it sandblasted. Might have to slide out the throttle linkage.

Originally Posted by duowing
Oh and something just occurred to me. I noticed that when I removed the AAC the plunger is down or out, does this mean it's open or is it closed? I thought the AAC is supposed to be open when there's no vacuum and closed when there is vaccum.
The AAC valve should be closed on default, because the vacuum source is above (so it would require vacuum to open).
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 AM
The Evil Twin

That is the bypass valve, or Very Cool Valve. "VCV"

I unscrewed it and used an oil pan plug in that spot.

Take off the throttle linkage and fuel rail.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:25 PM
NisTuner

So is that actually the Vacuum Control Valve, or is that another valve and I'm just thinking it's the VCV? The Fuel rail doesn't so much seem like it's in the way as much as the throttle linkage, but since I know that I need to remove it to get at the valve I shall do that.

As for the AAC valve and reading the FSM I got the impression it was open with no vacuum and closed with vacuum, so now I gotta rehook it up and leave it not connected directly to vacuum.