280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I am irritated, and frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:10 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I am irritated, and frustrated!

Well if that don't throw a wrench in my happiness. Carl and I have spent most of the friggin' day. Trying to get my damn motor in, it will not go in. And I am at my wits end. If anybody has any pointers, I would be happy to hear them. As for now, I think I am not worthy enough to drive a Z again. It is like I am not allowed, deserving enough, even after all the hard work I have done to this car. So anyway feel free to speak what is on your minds, and any helpful advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:16 PM
The Good Twin

Where are you getting caught? The motor mounts? Tranny mounts?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:27 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Trying to line up the motor to the bell housing. Trying to get the spline to go into the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. By the way my Z is a 5 speed. It seems like the top of the bellhousing barely goes in. But the bottom is a mile off, and it is real friggin' irritating!
Old 02-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Bleach is my Hero

OUCH.. In my opinion it takes 2 maybe 4 bolts to undo the tranny from the car.. And like 3 cables/wires....

It wieghs like 85 lbs can be picked up easily.. I would remove the tranny and connect while out of the car then slide em both in as one.. Also are you using a pilot bearing tool?? I can help Sunday if you need it LMK
Old 02-03-2006, 05:44 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
OUCH.. In my opinion it takes 2 maybe 4 bolts to undo the tranny from the car.. And like 3 cables/wires....

It wieghs like 85 lbs can be picked up easily.. I would remove the tranny and connect while out of the car then slide em both in as one.. Also are you using a pilot bearing tool?? I can help Sunday if you need it LMK
Amen to that... drop the tranny. It takes 10 minutes to get it back in w/ 2 people.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I called my dad, and he said something about pushing the clutch in. And moving the transmission. And it should pop back into place. I haven't tried it yet. But I might tonight before I go out.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Doesn't post much...

Drop The Tranny
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM

I had a fun time swaping a trany from a 83 N/A 5 speed to a 77 N/A 5 speed, had to swap flywheel's and starter's. only then would the clutch bolt up, and the trany slide into place, I know how you fell there, we faught for two day's. We finaly got it in to find out the clutch slave cylender was shot. but we got the trany in.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:53 PM

Okay, Put a jack under the tranny, From your post about the top being fine, but the bottom a mile off. The tranny needs to be about the same height as the rear of the motor. If the tranny is cocked down wards, in the front, then the shaft can't go in. Like when you pulled the motor, the tranny dropped down a little. So bring it back up.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I've tried all I can, and I am through with it, until somebody with more knowledge than me. Comes over, and helps me get it in. So until then the Z will not be running anytime soon. I have had enough of this friggin' headache! All the work time and money into this POS, and I feel it has been a waste. And if I continue trying anymore on it. I am going to snap, and do something I will reget.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WildmaN
I've tried all I can, and I am through with it, until somebody with more knowledge than me. Comes over, and helps me get it in. So until then the Z will not be running anytime soon. I have had enough of this friggin' headache! All the work time and money into this POS, and I feel it has been a waste. And if I continue trying anymore on it. I am going to snap, and do something I will reget.
dude... did ya drop the tranny?
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered Zee Racer

I did it alone on a 1st gen. definitley get a jack under the tranny and level it out.

I don't know about releasing the clutch and attempting to line it up that way, because then it will be way off on the pilot bushing.

Take your time and don't get frustrated. Taking the rest of the night off will be good.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
dude... did ya drop the tranny?
As in taking it out? No I am staying away from it right now. And I just got cleaned up, and don't want to get dirty anymore tonight. As it is the rest of my weekend is shot. Because of my 2nd job, and who know when I will get another Friday off.

It is bad enought that I do a major bunch of work. And the motor is roached on 3 cylinders. But what is worse, is the fact, that after I cleaned up the other motor, and pristenely painted it like I want. The damn thing wont go back in, and it pisses me off to no end!

I definately got to go out, and release tonight. Relieve some tension, and such.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
The Good Twin

Bro, if ya got Carl's help, pull the bloody tranny! It takes 10 minutes extra time, and 3 - 4 hours of damning the car to hell.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:33 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Bro, if ya got Carl's help, pull the bloody tranny! It takes 10 minutes extra time, and 3 - 4 hours of damning the car to hell.
I did have Carl's help, unfortunately he had to cut out and get some sleep for his work tonight. I am solo right now, and don't want to screw around with it anymore tonight for sure. I may consider dropping out the tranny the next time, I mess with this car.

And I am just venting, don't worry. I wont damn my Z, I am just tired of all the friggin' hang-ups.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Big Poppa

You Can Do It Wildman, I Know You Can, Just Drop The Tranny, And Make Sure Your Starter Is Off Off The Motor, It Probably Is, Just Wanted To Mention It. Leaving The Tranny In Any Vehicle Is The Hardest Way To Put A Motor Back In. People Thinks It Will Save Them Time Yet It Takes Hours Longer To Re Insert That Motor That Came Smoothly Out. Nismo Is Right 10mins. To Drop A Tranny And Probably Less Than 45 Minutes For The Assembly To Go In. Good Luck Wildman And Carl
Old 02-04-2006, 05:33 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks all you guys for the encouragement, and support. Don't worry I will be allright. Just had to get away from it for now. I will take a little break from it, and then tackle it again. With a clearer mind, and more of a fresh start.

And yes Shady my starter is out, it has been out. Because it was actually mounted to the bell housing, partly. So I had to take the bolts off it, to get the tranny free from the motor. When I pulled both motors out. So all good there man.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Big Poppa

Cool, Just Figured I Might Mention It, Sometimes I Find When People Get Mad, They Forget The Simple Stuff.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I know your pain. Some stuff just drives you nuts. You start tearin' up your knuckles and swearin' up a storm. Just relax, think about what your next move is and drop that tranny!! Try and find a helping hand when you do drop it though. Not necessary, but it's always useful to have a second set of eyes and hands around. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! YES HE CAN!!! YOU ARE A WILDMAN!!! Just a little cheer for you bro
Old 02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Yeah man.. Hit me up if you need help.. I can mob out in the Caddy to help.. I am done with mine for the day..
Old 02-05-2006, 08:15 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks guys for all the encouragement. Yeah SC, let me know when you can swing by. I don't go to work until 3:30pm on the weekdays. I work on my Z until 2pm or so. So I have enough time to get ready for work.