280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I caved

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by RckLbstr
Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering buying an '83 280zx but unfortunately it comes with a digital dash. From reading through various forums, it sounds as though it's doable to swap it to analog with simply an analog cluster, matching analog pigtail (according to FricFrac), and the time to swap it. Obviously the odometer won't match on the new dash, but I just can't stand digital.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks!
Yup I've done it already on my '83 NA and I'll do it to the '83 turbo as soon as I get to pulling the dash (I keep finding stuff before I get that far - lol). I left the digital harness in as well so I can swap back without having to pull the dash. Unlikely however.... Don't bother trying to do the swap without pulling the dash (which is actually pretty easy to do).
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I have the harness an the speedo box thingy. Else I wouldnt be bothering with this lol
Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RckLbstr
Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering buying an '83 280zx but unfortunately it comes with a digital dash. From reading through various forums, it sounds as though it's doable to swap it to analog with simply an analog cluster, matching analog pigtail (according to FricFrac), and the time to swap it. Obviously the odometer won't match on the new dash, but I just can't stand digital.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks!
You can change the odometer. It's not real difficult. I have done it on a few speedometers in the past. You just pull that lever thing, or whatever it is. And roll the numbers back, you will hear clicking. Just keep turning them until you get the mileage you want it to read at.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM

I want to know more about the Canadian digidash that was mentioned! How high does the speedo go? That 85mph rule is the one thing that stops me from wanting this swap.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
You can change the odometer. It's not real difficult. I have done it on a few speedometers in the past. You just pull that lever thing, or whatever it is. And roll the numbers back, you will hear clicking. Just keep turning them until you get the mileage you want it to read at.
or you could just install it all and go in reverse to decrease the miles like ferris beuler did lol
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by AKZX
I want to know more about the Canadian digidash that was mentioned! How high does the speedo go? That 85mph rule is the one thing that stops me from wanting this swap.
There's a selector on the dash that gives you the option for MPH or KpH. I want to say that the dash will read 145 kph, but I'm not sure as I don't tend to lean up there when doing over 85mph (which is where it stops).

I saw a fix somewhere where you can defeat the 85mph stoppage. But it's complicated as hell and not worth it, if you ask me.

I don't do many shows, but the few I have been in, the non Z owners never knew that Datsun ever offered that option... and they love it! Every show, I'm asked multiple times if it works and if I can turn it on so they can see it work.

Now the 1st gen Z31 has a CRAZY disco dash. The RPMs swell vertically and horizontally. If you could possibly do that swap...
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting an 83 with the standard dash.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1023614...3250/83Datsun#