280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I won the heatshield battle!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I won the heatshield battle!!

Well guys I got the heatshield off. Turns out, the intake was already unbolted. It is only mounted at the top. I used the crowbar, and wedged upward, and the intake came off! I am so friggin' stoked, no I just need to get the exhaust manifold off, and clean up the head where the gasket goes! Clean up my headers, and such with steel wool. And then clean the intake manifold, all nice and pretty. Hopefully the headers and intake will be remounted this week. I work a little every day. But I did accomplish my goal today, and I am so stoked!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Rock on dude. Good job
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM

Good job, buddy!!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Doesn't post much...

That's awesome news WildMan!!!

Rod.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Bleach is my Hero

That is sweeeet kick him square in the nuts
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Good to hear you got if taken care of. I know how rewarding it can be when you finaly get at a problem thats been eating away atcha. Good job man
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Good deal. And it sounds like you still have some hair left and havent had to wear that cool jacket with the really, really long sleeves.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 PM
From NY to AZ

when i doubt, whack it with a big hammer. just think of the frustration you would have been spared had you done that a week ago
Old 11-11-2005, 03:05 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks guys, that means a lot to me. I appreciate you standing by me, while I went through this major ordeal. You all rock, absoltotallutely! Now it is all downhill from here, that was the hardest part I am sure. Now I can just kick back and clean up my parts. Replace hoses, and such, that need replaced. But the damn fuel rail really makes me mad. I hope I don't end up putting the stock trombone one back in the Z. I want my JSK fuel rail, argghhhh!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 AM

Hey you know any machine shop can make you a fuel rail that looks just like the JSK one. Just get the dimensions from somebody on the JSK unit and then take those down to a machine shop (a decent one anyways) and they'll carve you out a fuel rail. Of coures you'd be responsible for getting it mounted and what not. But it's a suggestion. Even so, I hope you get the JSK one worked out. That'd be a lot easier.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay guys, I started cleaning up my head surface, and it is just about ready for the new header gasket. I used a wire wheel, that Carl loaned to me. And by using my drill, it cleans it up nicely with no damage. I also did some on my intake manifold, and it is turing out an aluminum silver stock! It is looking pretty sweet. But now I need a bolt extractor to get my rear exhaust bolt that is broken inside. Any pointers on this would be appreciated. Because once my manifold, head surface, and headers are cleaned up. I can start mounting them, after I get the bolt out. Because I have a new stud, and nut. SO anyway any help and or direction, would be great. And thanks again.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Be carefull! Dont rush and make sure to go in with the extractor as straight as possible. The same bolt broke on my manifold and that was a real pain to take care of. I screwed up and went in at an angle. Made it nearly impossible to get out. So just take your time and make sure to be pattient with it. Also make sure to pre-soak it with a penitrating oil.
Good luck!
Old 11-13-2005, 02:59 PM

With the broken bolt make sure you drill as far into it as possible so the extractor can grip it good. If you don't drill deep enough then the extractor can break pretty easily. Second soak the crap out of that broken stud with some kinda lubricant/rust spray. WD-40 works but something with a little more viscosity would be good. Spray it up real good and let it soak for a really long time. Then soak the crap out of it again and let it sit. Then before you drill it, spray it some more. After you drill it, spray it some more. Then work really slow with the extractor. And keep it absolutely straight when turning it otherwise it will snap. The reason for all this precaution? Well two reasons really. One is that this is an exhuast bolt and they can be hard to remove when they're not broken. Two is that if that extractor breaks off inside that broken bolt, well you'd have more fun finding a new head then you would trying to drill that sucker out. Patience is key and if the bolt dont come out easily try more lubricant. Try giving it a couple whacks while trying to extract it. Just don't break the extractor what ever you do. Other than that it should be pretty easy. Oh and get a good quality extractor set and make sure you use the right size drill bit and extractor bit. Good luck and have fun
Old 11-13-2005, 10:24 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, I got an extractor set, punch set, and wire brushes from Autozone, after work tonight. I also got the penetrating oil spray. Going to spray it tonight, and later before I go to bed in the morning. Then when I get up later today. I am going to slowly, and patiently, try to get this bolt out. This is my first time on this. So believe me I am going to be careful. I definately don't want to break the extractor, or drill cockeyed, or sideways. First I am using a punch, to start the hole in the middle of the bolt. Then gently tap the extractor so it will seat, and then carefully drill into the bolt, as far as I can, and smooth as possible. Wish me luck everybody, and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks guys for the help, and advice. It will help me get through this last tough ordeal. And then it is smooth sailing. Cleaning up, and mounting engine parts. Replacing lines that need it, hopfully installing a JSK fuel rail, if I get it back. Then replace my wheel bolts that are stripped. I think it is 3 or 4 of them at the most. But they are a pain, I replaced them before in my '81. But not too terrible, just have patience. Which I am learning to have. A lot of the things I am doing on my Z, are my first time in my life. But I will tell you one thing, I have learned a lot more useful procedures. That will help me in the future, restoring other cars. And of course I have learned a great deal, hanging out on this kick#ss website. You all Rock, all the way!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:33 PM
NisTuner

Yea as much as I hate it when a project goes slowly, that's really the best way to do it right. Glad to hear you're making progress, and you're right WildmaN this is a kickass site. Good luck man.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay everybody thanks to Carl, I got the bolt out with no problems. Carl's the man today, hands down. Now I am cleaning parts, and such. It was a good investment I made in the punches, and extractors. So hopefully this week, I will have everything hooked up, minus the fuel rail. The headers, are going to be tricky. And I have to clean them up a lot. But no big deal, all part of the fun right? Will keep you guys informed like always. And thanks for all the support. I can't say that enough, you are all cool in my book!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:05 PM

I love it when a plan comes together!!

Last edited by Carl's Z; 08-03-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:49 PM
From NY to AZ

Nice! glad to see that it's coming along

BTW you bought your header from this guy who lives like 5 minutes from me