280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I'm gonna smack myself...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM

I'm gonna smack myself...

So for the past few days I have been troubleshooting an electrical problem (seemingly related to my efi). I did a swap from the stock fuel rail to a modified stock rail to un-clutter everything on top of the intake manifold (looks decent, btw) and had origionally thought that to be the problem. Also at this time, I had to re-tighten my alternator which had come loose.

Well, you know how it is when you change a few things and suddenly there are problems...

So my baby wouldn't start. Wait, let me check that...

She would start and run as long as the starter was running.

I couldn't hear the fuel pump running at all when I went to start her up.

Yes, i could hear the click of the relay on the passenger side (oddly, it's a gold/silver color, not green?).

Time to go hunting!

No +12 to the pump (nothing at all, in fact) wires under the rear mat..
The next day, the relay was just fine in the passenger cabin, so I checked the one in the engine bay today...nothing there, and nothing again at the pump..

cleaned up the alternator to no avail..

Suddenly, amidst my insanity (trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result) I heard the fuel pump prime.

O.o

Turn the key and she fires just fine...

Let the key go, she dies.

*Slam forehead into the steering wheel*

Oh my...the key is in the ACC position. Hrm...

Try the key turning slowly and she primes in the ON position...starts in the START position, but bounces back to the ACC position when released.

Try it again, but this time back her down to the ON position and she runs (a little rough, but still)!

Odds of an ignition switch going bad when doing other work?

What do you think? I'm a few miles from the closest auto parts store and don't want to take the walk in the rain if I don't have to...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

Stuff happens. My ignition switch died while picking up a Redbox movie. Son and I put new brake pads on his 85t. put her back on the ground for a test drive - NO clutch. slave cylinder decided to quit while up on jackstands. You figure.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's gonna fail sometime and if it's inconvenient chances go up exponentially
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 PM

Yuuup. Lucky for me I just picked up two at the local JY. One off the back of the ignition and one brand new in the box...after I had taken everything off of the steering column and worked in my 90 degree screwdriver (ignition had those bolts you have to drill out). Shows me for not looking around first. lol. Also picked up a thermostat still in the box and a hazard switch (broke the solder on mine just before leaving).
Old 10-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Ha the evil red box! Took my old 81 down to drop the movie off. On the way home it tottally acted like I threw a rod. All hell broke loose bucking/smokeing/backfireing and oil pressure hit 0 limped it back into the garage. Sat 8 months as I figured it needed a motor NOPE my buddy came over tested the positive wire. It went bad and left me with no efi. 12.00 and she was back to normal. HATE DATSUNS for how they **POOF** your stranded. I honestly think they giggle to themselves as you bang your head off the steering wheel. "haha silly fat american" "try try chubby man mee no starty fo yo" "wewww oh my starting fuild o yea that going to wok" lol sorry my Z has the voice of "con" off of "king of the hill".
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Bahahahaha! Before I read the "Con" comment, I was already reading it in his voice!