280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

injector fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM

injector fan

injector fan... i ran a wirer from the batt to the red wire on my injector fan and it turned on.... i want to run a switch to it to make it turn on when iam running my motor hard ...has anyone done this befor... it seems like it would cool it SOME when road rallying ...my motor seems to run a little hot if i get on her hard for a bit and then drops back down after i get off of her ..i think if i had just a little more air moveing around in there it would cool it that much more The AE86 Kids want to mount my injector fan to there intake setup

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 06-21-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Doesn't post much...

One of my ricer friends looked at the injector fan and said "Dude!... You've got an electric turbo on your car!?"

True Story

Rod.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Well, for one thing, I don't think it really does much good. It blows hot engine bay air on the already hot injectors. Why? I dunno, that's one for the Nissan engineers. As far as connecting it to an intake? Yeah, probably not the best idea either.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 PM

It doesn't blow hot engine air onto the injectors. If you look at the tube where the fan is drawing its air from (assuming it's still attached), it's drawing air from beneath the car. If you put your hand in the air flow, it is indeed cool (ambient temp at the least).

Wiring to a manual switch would be pretty easy since the fan uses regular bullet connectors for its power lines and are easily reached. Or, you can access its control unit inside the car, behind the fuse box, to wire up from there.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:35 PM

I don't think that fan would make a difference in engine temp if you ran while you were driving. All it's there for is to cool the fuel rail after you shut the car off to prevent vapor lock while the fuel isn't moving. If you want more air to cool the engine you could A) upgrade you radiator, or B) Just turn on your heater. That will extract way more heat from your cooling system than turning you infector fan on. Besides, it doesn't even blow on any coolant containing components.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 PM

i dont know it was just a thought you guy have gave me a few things to think about
Old 06-22-2005, 01:46 PM

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying it probably won't provide any benefit. If you reroute some hose to blow on an area that would benefit from that air, than it might be worth the time. But leaving it where it's blowing now probably won't do much, if anything. Experiment, that's how stuff gets found out. Atleast you weren't afraid to get our opinion on it.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:20 PM

well i stoped messing with the the injector fan, i said to hell with it .....
anyway i put my cold air intake back on ...i had my cone fliter running right off my AFM it worked good you could really here it when reved... but it would lag just for a sec .if you reved it hard and last ime i put my hand on it.... it was warm ..so i put it back to the out side and cut my pipe piece down a little bit ..well it made my temp say right on the F no ups and down ...

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 06-22-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:11 AM

I've had at least 4 people tell me it's an electric turbo, and to "Hook it up if I know anything about cars" I just laughed and said it was some kind of a fan...This one kid I know, went out and bought a wrx..and I had never seen the engine bay of one, so you know I'm lookin around, and I SWEAR to god, he points to his alternator, and says " Pretty nice turbo huh" So yeah..I get to laugh alot.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 81 red L28E
injector fan... i ran a wirer from the batt to the red wire on my injector fan and it turned on.... i want to run a switch to it to make it turn on when iam running my motor hard ...has anyone done this befor... it seems like it would cool it SOME when road rallying ...my motor seems to run a little hot if i get on her hard for a bit and then drops back down after i get off of her ..i think if i had just a little more air moveing around in there it would cool it that much more The AE86 Kids want to mount my injector fan to there intake setup

Hey I have my injector fan connect to a push button, so i can manually turn it on, and i have also been told by most of my friends that its a "niice turbo" and i just play along with it now, but i dont really use the fan, it does push sumwhat cold air over to the injectors,((but this wont cool your engine @ all when u run it hard)) but yea it works fine wired up to a push button...well im out
Old 07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by 81 red L28E
well i stoped messing with the the injector fan, i said to hell with it .....
anyway i put my cold air intake back on ...i had my cone fliter running right off my AFM it worked good you could really here it when reved... but it would lag just for a sec .if you reved it hard and last ime i put my hand on it.... it was warm ..so i put it back to the out side and cut my pipe piece down a little bit ..well it made my temp say right on the F no ups and down ...
That was the best answer to your question. With your intake behind the radiator you were sucking pre-heated air into your intake significantly reducing the density of the intake charge.

With the intake pulling in cold air from in front of the radiator, your air charge will be more dense and have much better burn characteristics.

Nice side affect is that it will also keep your engine temps a little cooler.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 PM

I have a FAL variable speed fan controller, which happens to run the fans for a time after the engine is shut off. So I'm going to wire the injector fan up to that fan controller, in conjuction with the primary electric fan I'm installing. It'll be an easy 1-wire hookup in that case.