280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Injector Upgrade-Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Injector Upgrade-Possible?

Ok... i have injectors (2 or 3 of them) that have the ends broken off [leaking], on the engine i just got. How big of an injector can the stock ECU control (even if it does run a little rich). I have a whole set of 270cc top feed injectors off of some random Single Cam KA24's i could install, I'm pretty sure thats the same size (give or take 5cc's/min) as the turbo 280 injectors. Just for clarification the stock N/A injectors are 185cc/min right?! Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:11 PM
The Good Twin

Correct me someone if I'm wrong... but KA24DE injectors are HIGH-IMPEDENCE and they have completely diff tips. The 280zx ECU, and most pre-OBD ecu's don't like different size injectors. That's why there are stand alones.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:37 PM

you can take the rubber grommets from the KA intake manifold and i think they fit with that. Yea, forgot about the differing resistance between the two. How about some DSM 255cc low impedance injectors off a 420a (neon/eclipse)? or just a place to find some cheap L-series injectors, that deliver fairly quickly?? Just trying to see if i can work with what i got.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Externally Wastegated

If the 240sx injectors are high impedence, you'll need to run some resistors inline with the ecu or else it will get fried, along with you risk melting the connectors at the fuel injectors and starting a fire. Someone on hybridz had that problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:16 AM
The Evil Twin

My Altima's KA24DE fuel rail clamped the injectors inside of the rail. There were no fuel hoses off the back end like the Z has. Are those injectors you have even the correct style of injector for installing?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Bleach
My Altima's KA24DE fuel rail clamped the injectors inside of the rail. There were no fuel hoses off the back end like the Z has. Are those injectors you have even the correct style of injector for installing?
I do believe they are O-Ring style... You can buy an aftermarket o-ring style fuel rail on ebay from the seller "jskinnovations." But I'm sure the KA injectors won't fit in the L28 injector ports... and those tips shouldn't be removable...
Old 09-21-2005, 08:28 AM
The Good Twin

RubberBerner... I would go to a junk yard / wrecking yard & see if u can get some spares for cheap (or keep looking on ebay). If you go higher CC... you will throw off the stock ecu & you'll just run way rich & carbon up your combustion chamber.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM

People have been known to install the RX7 injectors. I believe off the FC-cars. I don't know what other mods are needed or if they're even compatible with the NA ECU, but it HAS been done. I'm sure HybridZ should have some info on that one. Can't think of where else I would have read about that one. Problem is sourcing 6 of them. Each motor only came with two.

www.hybridz.org
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 PM

alright...im just gonna try to hunt down some spares...i know a guy with a few extra L-series engines...maybe he'll just give me some "FREEBIES!"
Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
People have been known to install the RX7 injectors. I believe off the FC-cars. I don't know what other mods are needed or if they're even compatible with the NA ECU, but it HAS been done. I'm sure HybridZ should have some info on that one. Can't think of where else I would have read about that one. Problem is sourcing 6 of them. Each motor only came with two.

www.hybridz.org
I have built a fuel rail using RX7 450cc injectors. I haven't used them yet, as I am still deciding which fuel management system to use. Cost: $70 for fuel rail & $250 for 6 injectors.

BTW... Each motor came w/ 4.
Attached Thumbnails Injector Upgrade-Possible?-injectors1.jpg   Injector Upgrade-Possible?-injectors2.jpg  

Last edited by NismoPick; 09-21-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
BTW... Each motor came w/ 4.
My bad. Hey, I'm a Z guy
Old 09-21-2005, 11:53 PM

Wankle...what a wierdo! lol anybody seen the improvement on the rotary? pretty cool if you're into how things work- called the quasiturbine engine here's a link to read about it http://auto.howstuffworks.com/quasiturbine6.htm
Old 09-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Hmm, even more efficient than the wankel huh? Thats pretty amazing. Doesn't look like it could handle the high mileage seen be cars though. The wankel could barely keep it's seals intact, and that things got 8 of em! I don't know though, maybe with having the combustion more spead out it would put less stress on the individual parts? All in all, still pretty cool.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Hmm, even more efficient than the wankel huh? Thats pretty amazing. Doesn't look like it could handle the high mileage seen be cars though. The wankel could barely keep it's seals intact, and that things got 8 of em! I don't know though, maybe with having the combustion more spead out it would put less stress on the individual parts? All in all, still pretty cool.
Yea, we gotta try something more fuel efficient, gas prices are rediculous. The Apex seals in the Wankels go out so fast, i replaced one on an Rx8 with 31,000 miles on it!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 AM

That's the only thing I don't like about the rotory. And if you upgrade to thicker seals then you don't get full sealing which leads to poor street performance. It's a give and take. The only "reliable" way to add power to the rotory is to add more rotors. Now a 20B, that would be nice. I wonder if anyones ever rigged up a 4 rotor? That would be sick.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM

im not a big fan of the rotaries, its just not very fuel efficient engine.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:18 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Huh?! Uhhh... I don't think so...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Doesn't post much...

lww beat me too it... damn!

Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Only 'cause you thread jumped me on the 'Respect' thread!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

True dat, true dat. I have lightning fast fingers, a quick wit and an even faster internet connection... ya gotta be pretty quick/lucky to get ahead of me.

Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:31 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Give me a couple 'a minutes so I can disable your internet access...

P.S.
My internet connection is faster than 99.999% of the population... OC-192 Baby!

Last edited by lww; 09-22-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Doesn't post much...

So You're that guy from the last Matrix movie... you know the guy in the white suit that spoke in long winded jibberish just to **** off Johnny Utah or Neo or whatever the hell his name is while all the tv monitors in the background show a slightly different version of the current situation... "The Architect"... yeah that's it. You're that guy aren't you?

Rod.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:05 PM

lww, you own AT&T or something? How'd you get line like that? T1's down right unaffordable. But an OC line, now that's enough bandwidth to to be your own ISP.

And to think, I can't even get DSL where I live.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by lww
Huh?! Uhhh... I don't think so...
Who's post are you saying that about...im confused.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:12 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by RubberBerner
Who's post are you saying that about...im confused.
I think it was for the bash on the rotary engine. The only bad I've EVER heard about a rotary engine, is that it's complicated... and that comment comes from those not familiar w/ it. It's known around the world to be an awesome engine... very compact w/ lots of power.

Edit... oh yeah... and I read somebody's post about blowing a gasket @ 30,xxx miles??? I think that's the drivers fault, but I dunno the story.

Quick Reply: Injector Upgrade-Possible?