280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Injector wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Injector wiring

I had set aside our project car (a 1981 280ZX 2+2) for the last year, and we finally got the time and money to get back to it. After getting the fuel rail back on, I noticed the numbers I had written on masking tape for each injector's wiring had faded to the point of being unreadable..

The shop manual's schematic is too 'dense', and unreadable as I can not make out the colors and connections. Does anyone have a link to a good (and readable) schematic or knowledge of what color wire connects to what injector?

Thanks in Advance.

Glen
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Injector wiring

I had set aside our project car (a 1981 280ZX 2+2) for the last year, and we finally got the time and money to get back to it. After getting the fuel rail back on, I noticed the numbers I had written on masking tape for each injector's wiring had faded to the point of being unreadable..

The shop manual's schematic is too 'dense', and unreadable as I can not make out the colors and connections. Does anyone have a link to a good (and readable) schematic or knowledge of what color wire connects to what injector?

Thanks in Advance.

Glen
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Injector wiring

Thanks in Advance.

Glen
Old 05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
The Good Twin

Not sure why you posted 3 threads asking the same thing... so I merged your posts...

The 280zx is a batch fire EFI system... they all fire at once. If you look at the wiring, there will be 2 banks: front 3, rear 3. It's pretty easy to re-connect them.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Thank you....

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Not sure why you posted 3 threads asking the same thing... so I merged your posts...

The 280zx is a batch fire EFI system... they all fire at once. If you look at the wiring, there will be 2 banks: front 3, rear 3. It's pretty easy to re-connect them.
Thanks for the merge. I have no idea why it posted multiple times, but the forum keeps asking me to login repeatedly.

But thank you for the reply. I found a treasure trove of info at XenonS130's website. Along with some modification ideas. Included on the website were wiring diagrams that are easy to read. The schematics show relays controlled by the ECU connected to the injectors. I have to assume there is a rhyme and reason for the correct wires to be connected to the proper injector .

One schematic detailed

-- All Cylinders have a common 'ground' wire (Green), and the connections for the 'other wires' are:

Cyl 1 = White
Cyl 2 = White / Black
Cyl 3 = White / Red
Cyl 4 = White / Lime
Cyl 5 = White / Green
Cyl 6 = Brown / White

I include this info in case other people need it.

The previous owner had replaced the end connectors and did a hack job. I plan to replace the end connectors, and take my time with a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing.

When we got this Z it was in real ratty shape. My kid almost threw a rod (#5 bearing was paper thin) during that time. Since then I have had the engine rebuilt (.020 over), and new engine parts (timing chain, gears, water pump, etc. ) . I had to stop work on the Z for work-related reasons, and now I can return to the Z and get it running right.

I am hoping all the injectors are in good shape as it ran before the rebuild.

Glen