280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Intank fuel pump conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 AM

Intank fuel pump conversion

Ok so I need to preface this with YOU are responsible for screwing up your own car. I am a trained technician and if you dont feel confidante doing this dont do it.
With that out of the way I decided to do this for a few key reasons. 1 there are a wide veriety to pumps availible for in tank aplications. 2 Intank pump are a lot softer of a sound, its not silent but its better. 3 This eliminates alot of junctions where leaks can accure.

The first thing I did was just to remove the old pump and sender and clean things up
[IMG]
the origonal pump...well the one that was in there before....definetly aint origonal
[IMG]
This is the sender as it came out

[IMG]
thats the new walbro 255

[IMG]
This is important!! look at the baffaling in the tank you will need to orient the pickup filter to fit in them!!

After you have everything apart you need to remove the old pickup. I just used a hacksaw and cut it off. Now once that is off there is a vent tube beside it that needs to be ground off... that sucked sence I didnt have a grinder I used the hacksaw and a file to take it down so just the one tube is left

[IMG]

Now once I had that done I test fitted the pump in and it fit great right where I wanted it to be. Now this doesnt neeeeeed to be fixed in place however I do think its a good idea if you want to relocate the pump to a different area in the tank just use stiffer hose to hold it down.
[IMG]
[IMG]

The next thing I tackeled was the wiring! THIS PART WAS A MAJOR PAIN... but thats my fault I decided to reuse the slotck harness with new ends... so I drilled a new hole for the wires that I sealed with rvt so they dont rub (get a grommet they save time) Really I just used new crimp on ends because they wont move much and will more than hold.
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
(seen gromments will look better too)
Ok so once I got there I went back under the Z and Iran a new line to the metal one that was preexisting. So once the RTV dried I put the new sender in to test run the pump and luckily IT RAN! so from there I just reassembled everything and went for a drive! Now the very first thing I noticed was I can hear the pump on the road, its great!
Now what did I learn here? 1. Make sure the pipes are clean!!!!! I sent some junk down the line and threw junk into the filter (oh well). 2 Be prepaired I was running around looking for all my stuff (most of my tools are in my box that isnt at the house). 3 while you have the lines depressurized hook up a pressure gauge and make sure your pressure and volume is running good! you can find bad lines and other things just with the gauges!

If you have any comment concerns LMK!! I love feedback
Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 PM

This is a great write up, definitely what I'll do if my pump ever craps out.