280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

it just shut off????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:09 PM

it just shut off????

i dont know what to think so mabe someone can give me a clue ...
if i start her and run her for a bit and then turn her off she will not start {SOMETIMES}...it will spin over and over like its not getting spark and then after a bit it will fire over ..so today i ran down the street and it was fine it restarted fine i pulled on to this back street and then she just dies ...i took a bit to get her to start sittng in the middle of the road turning the key off and on is not fun.. its wierd the tach will not move like it should when i crank her over normly ..after a bit all of a sundden it jumps to life ...its got to be spark becuase my fuel presser is golden... i switch to a new dissy and coil a week ago but this is acting like it did with the old one ..what other sencors have the power to shut me down like this.or is there any thing with the dissy that i could be missing....my head temp sen is still not pluged in ... if i try to plug it in with the car running it dies out and i tryed to plug it in and reset my ecu ..it would start with it pluged in after that but the min you give it gas it will shut the car down .......... i dont under stand hopefuly this doesnt get worse but in the last two day it has seemed to
Old 06-16-2005, 01:39 PM

That sounds like a lot of different things to just be narrowed down to one thing. You might want to consider having your computer checked. But also, you may want to check to see if you have any wires lying against anything hot. I once installed an engine and after it warmed up it died on me, then after it cooled down I could restart it and drive it until it got hot again. Well come to find out I hadn't bolted the wiring for the fuel injector back down and the wires were melting on the EGR tube. Just a suggestion even though it wasn't a nissan it may help you.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:06 PM

When you changed distributors did you change the IM. It really sounds like you have a bad IM by the way you described how it justs dies or wont start after running her for a while. If you did change it, was it with a new IM or an old one? I've switched bad for bad before before finally getting a good one. As far as the head temp sensor, that's just bizzare. The wiring might have grounded out somewhere. I don't know though, that is really weird, I've never seen that one before.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 PM

I just reread this thread and although it's rare, Ryan could be right on this one, it could just be your computer man. If all else fails, check it out. It's usually the root of the really weird problems, like your sensor problem. If the ecu is faulty, the sensor problem and the car dieing could be related, and not just two seperate problems. Like I mentioned in your other thread, my car just dies if I unplug my head temp. sensor.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 PM

THANKS GUYS for good thoughts on red's problem....i got my fuel ragulator today it installed in a few mins and really make a diff... i can run it leaner if need be or richer it works well .i've got to mess to see witch setting is better..as for this other problem iam going to buy a MSD.... IM OR ACCEL what ever is cheeper.. i would like an accel one becauce i bought there coil and it seems to work well... i just cant find one here ..i think it could be my IM or ecu it self but i dont know maybe my head temp sencor goes with a diff sencor and if there all not right it throws it all off..i dont know
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM

If you think it might be your computer, i just obtained one in a bunch of parts and i put it in my car and it works good. I will let it go cheap if anyone wants it. Let me know!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Hey red, are you still having this problem with your car? Is it still dieing on you? Or did you fix it?