280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

King Noob

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by NismoPick
What's the benefit of a VG30ET over an L28ET? Same hp available... more $$$ and time for the swap... no "wow" factor... What's the benefit?
180WHP on a stock motor, factory MAF setup, less restrictive intake and exhaust, it weighs about 300 pounds less, stronger trans, more aftermarket parts, known power potential on a stock long block, puts the weight behind the crossmember for the most part, better parts availability throuh major auto parts store chains, no need to build a "stroker" motor, available for a dime a dozen through the 20 years they made them...etc...etc

The L-series is cool and all and does bolt up, but it pails in comparison in cost vs WHP. Especially now days when 280zxt donors are becoming harder to find and fewer companies are making parts for the L-series.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I'll give you weight behind the rear cross member.... of course that weigh difference is 80lbs not 300lbs lol. Parts availability... hmm what can't you get for and L28? Building a stroker on an L28ET is a waste of money. MS and you don't need the MAF because the MAP is even better. Stock intake and exhaust log is good to 600HP although porting helps and cost 0$. You can bolt a Z32 with an adapter to an L series quite easily which is pretty much the strongest Nissan tranny out there. You don't need a ZXT donor - there are lots of L28ET exhaust manifolds, dished pistons are cheap and plentiful and a stock oil pan can be easily modified or just get a turbo oil pan. If for some strange reason you can't find a turbo setup F54 blocks are a dime a dozen. .....and a V6 no matter what you throw at it will ever be harmonically balanced in both modes like a straight six..... The L28ET is a simple direct bolt in.

If you were going to swap in a VG30 you're already 22HP ahead with a stock setup going with a NA VG30DE... sorry you get a troll fail with the VG30ET swap....
Old 07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by hoov100
it weighs about 300 pounds less
lawlz... so the VG30 weighs slightly more than my aluminum Geo Metro 1.0L 3cyl?

A loaded L28 w/ transmission weighs 539lbs: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?showtopic=59086

and +2billion on everything else just stated by FricFrac.

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by FricFrac
I'll give you weight behind the rear cross member.... of course that weigh difference is 80lbs not 300lbs lol. Parts availability... hmm what can't you get for and L28? Building a stroker on an L28ET is a waste of money. MS and you don't need the MAF because the MAP is even better. Stock intake and exhaust log is good to 600HP although porting helps and cost 0$. You can bolt a Z32 with an adapter to an L series quite easily which is pretty much the strongest Nissan tranny out there. You don't need a ZXT donor - there are lots of L28ET exhaust manifolds, dished pistons are cheap and plentiful and a stock oil pan can be easily modified or just get a turbo oil pan. If for some strange reason you can't find a turbo setup F54 blocks are a dime a dozen. .....and a V6 no matter what you throw at it will ever be harmonically balanced in both modes like a straight six..... The L28ET is a simple direct bolt in.

If you were going to swap in a VG30 you're already 22HP ahead with a stock setup going with a NA VG30DE... sorry you get a troll fail with the VG30ET swap....
I'll formulate a response to asinine remarks when I get back from work.

We both fail, a vg30et weighs 74 pounds less then the L28et. I have the exact numbers written, I'll post them when I get home.

Is harmonics seriously your debate in this?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by hoov100
Is harmonics seriously your debate in this?
No... the debate is "Why the hell would anyone swap a VG30ET into an S130?!" As I stated before:

What's the benefit of a VG30ET over an L28ET? Same hp available... more $$$ and time for the swap... no "wow" factor... What's the benefit?
Apparently the answer is +10hp, -74lbs, thrown off weight ratio... sounds like a killer deal of a swap!

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by FricFrac
I'll give you weight behind the rear cross member.... of course that weigh difference is 80lbs not 300lbs lol. Parts availability... hmm what can't you get for and L28?

I phrased that wrong. It's not really about whats available, but the amount of people making parts for them.

Building a stroker on an L28ET is a waste of money.

Agree'd, but it's not necessarily the gain in displacement that people are after while doing a build.

MS and you don't need the MAF because the MAP is even better.

Then we are getting into something that can't be compared as you would be comparing stock vs. modified. And MAP sucks, if you want to really tune your car and have an accurate airflow reading, MAF is the tuners choice.

Stock intake and exhaust log is good to 600HP although porting helps and cost 0$.

Only if you have the time, skills and tools available. I can make 600WHP on stock intake and exhaust manifolds on a sbc, but you don't see it as anywhere near efficient or anyone doing it.

You can bolt a Z32 with an adapter to an L series quite easily which is pretty much the strongest Nissan tranny out there.

After you machine the bellhousing as well. That and weren't they a group buy only? Unless someone started making them again. Even so that wuld be comparing modified to stock.

You don't need a ZXT donor - there are lots of L28ET exhaust manifolds, dished pistons are cheap and plentiful

So you are suggesting to people that using N/A dished pistons are safe even though they have been known to blow ring lands? Even then just tossing a turbo and a manifold on something isn't even half the battle when doing a swap.

and a stock oil pan can be easily modified or just get a turbo oil pan. If for some strange reason you can't find a turbo setup F54 blocks are a dime a dozen. .....

True. If you can't find a turbo setup what good is a new block going to get you?

and a V6 no matter what you throw at it will ever be harmonically balanced in both modes like a straight six.....

Firing order has more to do with harmonics then engine configuration.

The L28ET is a simple direct bolt in.

so does the VG with a simple set of motor mounts.

What the hell are you talking about? A vg30et makes 20 more at the wheel then the vg30de and weighs a GOOD amount more. You fail at trying to stick up for the l28et..

No... the debate is "Why the hell would anyone swap a VG30ET into an S130?!" As I stated before:

Apparently the answer is +10hp, -74lbs, thrown off weight ratio... sounds like a killer deal of a swap!
+10 WHP plus 74 pounds less is a hell of a difference in ANY car. Not to mention just how much easier it is to make power out of a VG. Also did I not mention that nissan has ran the vg30 production line for over 20 years? How long did they make the L28 for?

I'm just saying for how cheap and reliable vg30et's can be had now days as well as a bunch of cars that share the same motor, it is going to replace the L28et as time goes by.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Hey all don't wanna jinks it but I got myself another working z. I'm selling this one as is for 500$ spread the word much thanks.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Sold!