280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Mad Props to Carl

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thumbs up Mad Props to Carl

I talked to Carl last night on the phone. And I was telling him about my fuel rail and such. I told him earilier I thought about painting it with the aluminum high temp paint. He then suggested instead to try using steel wool, and wow it looks sweet! It is really cleaning up the grease oil, and such. And also the goldish brass ugly paint. The rail is really turning out shiny, and it is going to look sweet on my engine! I am also thinking about using it on my EGR, and anything else that has that ugly goldish paint. It is probably going to take me a couple more days to get the rail all cleaned up. I already went through one piece of steel wool, not much left of it. Later on I want to try it on my stock 6 spoke Z wheels, and see if that gets the years of black tar grease and grime. Couldn't hurt I suppose, anyway steel wool is the way to go thanks to Carl! Thanks for the tip man, and I also plan on using it on my headers, it is going to look sweet as can be!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:34 PM

I think I know what I am gona do with my extra rail now. My vaulve cover still has it's goldish paint job (or what's left of it). I got me a pack of whool. and some free time.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:35 PM

Six spokes...

After you clean up your six spokes with steel wool try polishing them with some Mothers aluminum polish. I just did mine that way and they look very good.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:25 PM

Yeah, steel wool works wonders. I used a wire wheel on my 6-spokers and valve cover, and they turned out wonderful. I just left them bare after brushing them down, but the reccomended way would be to put a polish of some sort on it, for good measure.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:41 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Dorifto
Yeah, steel wool works wonders. I used a wire wheel on my 6-spokers and valve cover, and they turned out wonderful. I just left them bare after brushing them down, but the reccomended way would be to put a polish of some sort on it, for good measure.
You should try to get a pic for us.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM
The Evil Twin

The yellow film is an anticorrosive material put on by the factory. If you don't paint or clearcoat that stuff it will oxidize fast and furious.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:36 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Thanks for the tip Bleach. I will coat them when I finish cleaning them up.