280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Mechanical Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:08 PM

you can lean out the AFM. Did you fail the idle test or the cruising speed test? If it was just the idle test you can adjust the screw on the side of the AFM body to lean out the mixture at idle. If you open up the AFM you can adjust the spring tension to lean out the mixture at all engine speeds. There's a sticky here on how it's done. Just be careful as you dont want to run too lean and end up destroying your engine. You can lean it out a little at a time while listening for any signs of pinging or detonation.

Another easy way, if you DONT have an O2 sensor, is to disable one of the cylinders.

Of course changing an O2 sensor only takes a few minutes

Last edited by jfairladyz; 11-02-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM

No it failed when it was UNDER LOAD. would the idle even be useful then?

idk if i have an O2 sensor i think so it might be crap though. and would disabling a cylinder help me to pass. how would i disable it, take away the spark?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:21 PM

what year is your Z? All 81+ US Z's had O2 sensors.

You want to disable the fuel. If you leave the fuel pumping into the cylinder then your hydrocarbons will skyrocket. But disconnecting the injector to that cylinder it acts as an air pump. The spark just gets wasted like a lot of DIS systems. But if you've got an O2 sensor then it will try to correct for this. And the last thing you want is the ECU dumping excess fuel into the cylinders that are still hooked up. Thats will just put more fuel into those cylinders then they can burn and your hydrocarbons go up. Of course if the O2 sensor isnt functioning anyways then it will probaby work. But you need to know if the O2 sensor is bad or not. But if it is bad then you'd be better off just replacing that and passing smog the legit way You're basically chasing your tail by not replacing the O2 sensor.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:25 PM

yeah its an 81, thanks J
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey Griffin, here is a thread I posted about setting your Z for emissions. After I took my '82 to a Z guru here in Mesa. After I visited him, and did what he told me, my Z passed with flying colors. Here is the link, to that thread.

Only thing is though, I have a N/A, and yours is a turbo. Don't know how much different they are in setting.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-s130-forums-77/results-my-diagnosis-zguru-18010/
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Well as you see by the title, I got my diagnosis done Thursday. Here is what he told me to replace, and or do. When I need to go through emissions.

1) ...
5) Make sure the o2 sensor is good, and or new.
6) ...
Yeppers
Old 11-02-2006, 01:18 PM

I'm glad I am in south Georgia, we dont have to deal with all that emissons crap. And that is great, it probably ticks off the environmental whacko's and tree huggers. I never want to move to a town or state that requires me to deal with emissions crap. We dont even have state inspections, to see if the car is fit for the road, if we did 25% of the cars in georgia would be shut down. And if it werent for the oil burners, mosquitos would be a lot worse LOL!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:35 PM
User Friendly

Haha, you're so lucky 3XA! I lived in Atlanta for about 22 years, and every single year, one of my Z's failed the emissions inspection ... and I'm moving to Cali in about 15 months, where it's even worse. Guess I'll just enjoy my time here in FL, where no testing is required, before I receive more torture again.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:44 PM

Omg!!! I Just Got A Call From My Mechanic, (i Took It Right There After It Didnt Pass Emissions) So I Get This Call That It Was Just The Cat, Because The Cat Was The Original From 81' And Not Doing Anything At All!!

So My Mechanic Replaces The Cat, Get Me The New Emission Papers I Need To Take To The Dmv. And I Just Drive My 280 Home All For Under $300 Smackers!!!

Now I Can Finally Start Driving It Everywhere And Working On The Other Problems.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 PM
User Friendly

Awesome! Glad you got it to pass emissions! I hope your mechanic also replaced the O2 Sensor after he installed the new catalytic converter ... otherwise, you might end up with the same problem again ... a clogged cat.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Über User

MEOW!!!! cough*
Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Z Car Barbie
Awesome! Glad you got it to pass emissions! I hope your mechanic also replaced the O2 Sensor after he installed the new catalytic converter ... otherwise, you might end up with the same problem again ... a clogged cat.
WHERE DO I FIND THE O2 SENSOR I LOOKED TODAY AND EVEN IN MY CHILTONS MANUAL AND CANT FIND WHERE ITS LOCATED?

ALSO I CHANGE MY SPARK PLUGS AND 1 OF THEM WAS OIL FOULED, BEFORE I CHANGED IT I WAS GETTING A LOT OF SMOKE FROM THE EGNINE, NOW NOT SO MUCH. ITS IT PROLLY A PISTON RING? AND THE MAUNAL SAID MAYBE A VALVE SEAL? WHAT EXACTLY IS A VALVE SEAL?

LASTELY, WHEN DRIVING IF I LET OFF THE GAS SLIGHTLY THE CAR HAS A REALLY JERKY FEELING, IS THIS JUST THE NORM OR WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM?

THANKS EVERYONE!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Über User

well.. if its an NA should be right in the exhaust manifold somewhere... if its a turbo should be in the o2 sensor housing or w/e its called.... basically right after the turbo.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:16 PM
No Club Love

the o2 sensor is on the down pipe, a valve seal is just whats stated, its also a valve seat or something. and i'd say its a head gasket for oil, but i'm not sure. a jerking feeling, have that on my turbo, its just the power of the z...it's funny if im smashing an aboot to shift then just let all the way out of throttle, i can smack the passenger;'s head on the dash...its boost baby, or something i can't remember the name...
Old 11-04-2006, 03:24 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Actually, it shouldn't jerk when letting off the throttle. It should be controlled and smooth deceleration.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 PM
No Club Love

really even on the turbo? cause when i let off the throttle, in any gear it kinda pops, but its cause it has not exhaust, just till the cat. But she never bucks, its funny she can throw you forward like a ****.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Über User

the only jerk you should feel is if its a manual and you let off and it engine brakes... other than that it should be a smooth deceleration... on any car... in the world...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 PM
No Club Love

i thought it was just the boost stopping after full boost, but i'm not sure, its like right before i shift to third, if i let all the way off it just lags, i don't no it feels normal. and doesn't have any real problems. i'll have nismo check it out when i get out there.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
barbie--what year was jade born? our cali smog cuts off at certain year, so older cars are exempt--only way my chevy can pass-is not to have to at all! i believe the year now is 76 or 77. i fergit. ikeep hope that the 80's years come up before i die of really old age.

only jerk in our cars should be the one behind the wheel--like the loose nut. be smooth with your clutch action, not brusk--if it don't fit, force it belongs only on tuna boats. she's a lady--treat her as one, and she'll be the smoothest and sweetest thing to drive. smack her upaside her head, she'll beat the hell outa ya--if not physically, then financially.

Last edited by z-hag; 11-05-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 AM
No Club Love

yeah no i'm not treating her bad...its like when you see a cop and let off quickly before keep smashing out...ya no...shes still running beautifully, and i'm loving it...what would this problem be, when i'm driving and just aboot to turn, then i engine just cutts out, and won't start for like 6 minutes...then when i try after then it starts right up i don't know what it is?
Old 11-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Doesn't post much...

What you just described sounds like the ignition module...

Or a loose connection...

Rod.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:44 AM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by z-hag
barbie--what year was jade born? our cali smog cuts off at certain year, so older cars are exempt--only way my chevy can pass-is not to have to at all! i believe the year now is 76 or 77. i fergit. ikeep hope that the 80's years come up before i die of really old age.
She's an '82, and Taz (my turbo) is an '84. Yah, I'm worried about them passing Cali SMOG. I kept Jade's stock air box just in case I have to replace it to pass the inspection - hope I don't, cuz I spent 2 hours modifying and installing an aftermarket 280Z intake on her with a K&N cone filter. I sold the HKS mushroom filter I bought for Taz just to avoid the same problem.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:53 PM
No Club Love

ok, well most of my connections are missing the clips, or have a brokenclippy, so i'll check it out . Its only done it twice and always restarts so i have no clue...i'll check when it gets above freezing. and for anyone that removed there heater and all that crap, what did you do to reroute the water lines.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
barbie--do not fear cali smog. you probably qualify for federal standards, unless your car says ca emission standards. do not pay attention to that, however. if your car is running fine, o2 sensors, etc being fine--no sweat. i do not think they make ya put cat on it if the car is from elsewhere--bureau o automotive ripair has the info, i think. there may be somewhere else--i am not sure.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM

For The Front Cv Boots, Is There An Inner And Outer Boot?

Quick Reply: Mechanical Problems!!!