280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

MSA '07... Same as the old boss...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Doesn't post much...

MSA '07... Same as the old boss...

So, once again that time is upon us. I had an appointment Friday to drop off my Z at the "NEW" body shop I'm using (The old man I was using before, retired and closed up shop...)

I get there with the car, and the guy starts looking at it more closely than he had before. Next thing I know, the estimate has doubled and he can't promise it will be done in time for the show. So, i was a little disgusted to say the least.

I have passed the point of no return financially with this car, but I wasn't prepared to spend another 7K on the body/paint when the interior still isn't done and the engine is 250+K of "original".

I'm at another crucial crossroads. I have the money, I could pull the trigger and it won't effect my long term financial status much at all, but damn. it NEVER ends. In any event, since it won't be done before the show, I decided to hold off on leaving the car with him until I have sold myself on the idea of spending that kind of money on it (again) and until AFTER the show.

So, I'll clean her up the best I can on my own before the show, but she ain't gonna be a show stopper by any means. Oh well, show cars are for weenies.

See some of you there!

Rod.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:03 AM

MEEE TOOOO!!!!!!!!! my friend told me he was gonna paint it next week.. like at the 9th or 10th.. and he told me it will take him maybe around 2 weeks.. to fix everythign and get it painted... and i told him it has to be done before the show.. and he said its gonna be close... so right now im thinking if i should just wait till after teh show.. or just go for it and hope he finish in time
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Big Poppa

what takes these ppl so long and so much money to paint. i do base clear paint jobs in 2 weeks, for aboot 2500-3000 including paint price. if there is not much body work (respray) it comes and goes in a week. my cars coming down with body damage, i just never got to fixing it. you know what they say, never buy a mechanics car.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 AM
The Good Twin

At least you're still coming to the show Rod!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Yea, um . . .Rod. Try and find another guy. 7k for an average-joe "complete" is pretty damn high. Unless you have a special order multi-stage paint with hella pearl and all that **** it should be in the 4-5 range for a pretty damn clean job. And its not even like you were doing a color change or anything. . .or are you? Regardless, if you're staying with black dont stay with that shop. Thats pretty damn pricey.

Then again, you may like their work and feel the 7k is justified in which case go for it. I just think that you can find work of the same quality for a lot loss and done more quickly.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by apollo
Yea, um . . .Rod. Try and find another guy. 7k for an average-joe "complete" is pretty damn high. Unless you have a special order multi-stage paint with hella pearl and all that **** it should be in the 4-5 range for a pretty damn clean job. And its not even like you were doing a color change or anything. . .or are you? Regardless, if you're staying with black dont stay with that shop. Thats pretty damn pricey.

Then again, you may like their work and feel the 7k is justified in which case go for it. I just think that you can find work of the same quality for a lot loss and done more quickly.
Actually, it's not pretty damn high... it's still pretty damn low considering I went "Cheap" the last couple of times and now I have 3 layers of shitty paint on top of the shitty factory paint (which was gold). He is talking about bringing the car down to the metal, pulling all of the glass and trim, irradicating ALL of the rust, removing ALL of the dents, installing and painting the Type II body kit... It's a good deal.

I know people who have spent WAY more than that for less "Complete" jobs.

Rod.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Well then why didnt you say that before. *****. I thought it was just a respray with some body work. Still kinda high, but i guess you rich guys dont see it like that
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by apollo
Still kinda high, but i guess you rich guys dont see it like that
If I were rich, I wouldn't be pissing around with a 27 year old Z car...

Rod.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
If I were rich, I wouldn't be pissing around with a 27 year old Z car...

Rod.

Yeah you would, cause Z's are cool!

That seems good to me, but then when's the last time I looked for an extreme makeover like that?? The pisser is not getting done in time for MSA!! I'd still go for it, cause your car looks awesome anyways, and it'll make ya feel better about doing more interior shtuff. Remember the guy with the 300ZX (black) that posted all the pics and was looking for a poster idea?? I think those Boyd Coddington rims would look tight on your black ZX!! Here's a pic to refresh your memory. I'm sure they can be designed larger...
Attached Thumbnails MSA '07... Same as the old boss...-z31_3.jpg  
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM

That's a good deal for all the work being done. Shop I work at wouldnt touch it for less than 10k,
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Hmmm... yeah, takin' it down to the bare metal adds a LOT of hours to the job. Any chance you can do some of the work yourself and take a little bit of the sting out of the total?

Anyway, go to the show, have a good time and enjoy yourself. Don't sweat the small stuff. You got a good family a decent job and NO CAR PAYMENT!

Enjoy!

Love Cars! Love People! Love Life! Y. Katayama
Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 AM

Rims, Rod, Rims....

Those Coddingtons are SWEET!!!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

After watching a few episodes of American Hot Rod, I decided that Coddington is a Nimrod! I couldn't buy anything from him now. I just don't think those wheels would look right on Rod's Z. Now, his current wheels with a dark, deep black paint job, smoked headlight covers and turn signals with shaved side markers would be killer...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
The Evil Twin

Rod, you should bag your Z... lay frame
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Doesn't post much...

Dudes!

I'm still going to the show... Wouldn't miss it for anything.

I was just making excuses in advance for how shitty my car will look when it gets there

There's NO WAY I'm changing my wheels again Carl!. In 4 years I've been through 5 sets of wheels. I'm good with what I've got... Besides, I have 5 of the current wheels/tires so that I have a full size spare that matches!

As far as the airbags go Bleach... You first! Let me know how it works out and then maybe I'll try it. If it works out well, I may have to get "16 switches for by Bitches"

Rod.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 AM

so is anybody doing/adding anything on for the final touches on their cars? or anything special you guys are hiding???

for me, i think its gonna be it.. the day before or so.. imma just take out some of the plastic peice, and respray it black.. and then wash.. and wax the car... a double cote on it should be good... and then try to clean it up...
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
geez, rod, your car will look so good next to some of the ones i know of---my AE needs interior done--piggy/phoenix still needs body work done......and interior------but she is strong again...........your car looks good, mon......
Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 PM

uaah.. might be buying a 300zx...

does actualy owning one again count?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
The Evil Twin

My car certainly will look different....

for better OR for worse... not sure yet
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by Bleach
My car certainly will look different....

for better OR for worse... not sure yet
It's for the better... It HAS to be, I mean... Yer car was FUGLY last year!

Rod.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Big Poppa

gotta run the rising sun hood bleach!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
geez, bguyz=--i may be delivering piglet/phoenix to concord at the time--so i may be driving the worlds foogliest z31 to the event.....would be good for some fun, tho...........
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
The Evil Twin

Rod I know it was fugly last year but its even worse now. If I don't finish my ricer mods then it'll be driving to SoCal half done.

I'm making my car a stretch limo. 2+2+2
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM

but you'll be there.. all that matters!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
The Evil Twin

ya, I found out today my mods will be for the worse.... my Z is lookin' and will look even worse than last year.

but I'll be there

Quick Reply: MSA '07... Same as the old boss...