280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Msd

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Msd

Yes i have been lookin. I want a quick response if possible, as soon as ya'll say this set up will work on a 83 N/A with stock dizzy, ima hit order button. If i am missing anything, awesome time to tone in. If you also think a turbo dizzy will work better. that thought is also much appreciated.

Ignition

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-6000-6300/

Coil

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-730-0891/

Plug Wires

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-50047/

If ya'll think i can do dizzyless for same as above. let me know. options are open till i check out.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
The Good Twin

That Crane ignition should work, but you will probably have to use a tach converter if you are keeping the stock tach.

I'm using the Mallory Hyfire VI-AL (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-6853M/), MSD Blaster II coil, and MSD tach converter (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8910/).

The Mallory (same as the MSD VI-AL) puts out more volts than the Crane, but looks like it's more expensive. I actually bought my VI-AL on ebay for $80 new.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM

from what i am reading on hybridz a tach adapter is not needed. Since i don't plan on going turbo, this system should work great for any N/A. the Mallory unit does not show what it's max compression. Although the Crane is rated for 8,000 (10K for 4 cyl) i dought i will ever get that high. also the crane is rated for a good 9:5 comp. that will be about the max i will ever get due to i must be able to run 87oct with out ping.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM

I know many will probably use this for an excuse to bitch, but my experience with MSD is it stands for "MIGHT SUDDENLY DIE". Textbook definition of a P.O.S far as I'm concerned, I'd run a model T coil first. Look at the Winston Cup cars, they run TWO MSD ign units, despite the weight and 400$ price, change them BOTH every race, and they still aren't dependable.
It has been proven to me thaty MSD KNOWINGLY sells NEW stuff that DOES NOT WORK, and never did. Further, they kept up the charade for over a year, just so ya know their integrity level. If ya don't believe me, do a search for turbo BTM units.
John Mihovetz(worlds fastest ford modular owner, 6.23 1/4) uses Evinrude outboard coils, at 50 plus intake pressure and 10k rpm on a v8, and works well enough. I don't see the need for MSD, there's better, cheaper stuff out there.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by bojo68
I don't see the need for MSD, there's better, cheaper stuff out there.
Like Mallory. As for your argument of changing the boxes every race... they do that with just about every other part of the car between races too, because just about every part of the car is maxed out at every race. Nascar isn't like grandma's Sunday drive to church.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Like Mallory. As for your argument of changing the boxes every race... they do that with just about every other part of the car between races too, because just about every part of the car is maxed out at every race. Nascar isn't like grandma's Sunday drive to church.
Heh, it would be hard NOT to be better than MSD.... They make good garbage can fillers, not much good as boat anchor either....
Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
w0rld's l0ngest m0t0rswap

bojo!! you're back!!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Big Poppa

you need the tach adapter for it to work on a s130. i tried without it, no dice. it wont run the fuel injection either
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM

Well so far i have the crane cam ign selected. But i might still try to run on my Fiero ECU and system mod idea. it's a HEI system, 2.8LV6. A MAP sensor and no AFM sounds good to me. i brought it up here ages ago, and back then it was feasible between many ppl here. might be a good time to pursue it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
Well so far i have the crane cam ign selected. But i might still try to run on my Fiero ECU and system mod idea. it's a HEI system, 2.8LV6. A MAP sensor and no AFM sounds good to me. i brought it up here ages ago, and back then it was feasible between many ppl here. might be a good time to pursue it.
Don't really know that system, but if your considering trying to install a speed density system, ya might wanna consider how BIG a box of Preparation H your going to need to get it tuned right. I wouldn't dream of trying to tune a speed density sys to a different engine. There are self learning maf systems available for a lot less than I'd think anybody that makes minimum wages time is worth.
Not telling ya what to do, just tipping ya off to what ya might be stepping into...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 AM

I know the system still uses a dizzy. so it's not exactly the same as there systems they use like on Lumina's and what not. I almost tryed the system except some one traded me a great cond 300zx for the feiro,
Old 01-21-2010, 05:55 AM

I just looked into MS again. i guess the prices have gone down. i can replace everything with a MSII with PCB2 for the same price. controls the fuel and spark. heck i'm sold
Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
i felld offa mai trike

I know many will probably use this for an excuse to bitch, but my experience with MSD is it stands for "MIGHT SUDDENLY DIE". Textbook definition of a P.O.S far as I'm concerned, I'd run a model T coil first. Look at the Winston Cup cars, they run TWO MSD ign units, despite the weight and 400$ price, change them BOTH every race, and they still aren't dependable.
It has been proven to me thaty MSD KNOWINGLY sells NEW stuff that DOES NOT WORK, and never did. Further, they kept up the charade for over a year, just so ya know their integrity level. If ya don't believe me, do a search for turbo BTM units.
John Mihovetz(worlds fastest ford modular owner, 6.23 1/4) uses Evinrude outboard coils, at 50 plus intake pressure and 10k rpm on a v8, and works well enough. I don't see the need for MSD, there's better, cheaper stuff out there.
That must totally be why the 20+ year old unit in my Firebird still works wonderfully... lol (I guess the old adage goes, "they don't make stuff like they used to anymore)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
That must totally be why the 20+ year old unit in my Firebird still works wonderfully... lol (I guess the old adage goes, "they don't make stuff like they used to anymore)
I still don't agree w/ Bojo's statement of how crappy MSD is....

Look at the Winston Cup cars, they run TWO MSD ign units, despite the weight and 400$ price, change them BOTH every race, and they still aren't dependable.
If MSD wasn't dependable, don't you think Nascar / Winston Cup cars would STOP using them?

"These are crap! But we'll use them on our million dollar cars anyway... just so we can lose... cuz losing is cool..."

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
I just looked into MS again. i guess the prices have gone down. i can replace everything with a MSII with PCB2 for the same price. controls the fuel and spark. heck i'm sold
NOW yer talkin...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
I still don't agree w/ Bojo's statement of how crappy MSD is....

If MSD wasn't dependable, don't you think Nascar / Winston Cup cars would STOP using them?

"These are crap! But we'll use them on our million dollar cars anyway... just so we can lose... cuz losing is cool..."

Whatever. Their own instructions and web page at one time showed the wiring diagram for running 2 of them with a switch determining which one.
How many manufacturers stuff is so bad they show how how to use a backup in the instructions? If your curious, go to turboforums and look up the record they have there. I don't care, if you want tunnel vision, fine by me.

Bye the way, NASCAR rules require a distributor, not exactly a matter of whatever ya wanna run on million dollar car. Furthermore, there's a thing called sponsorship....which generally puts good cheap parts out in favor expensive crap...

Last edited by bojo68; 01-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
i felld offa mai trike

you're the one with tunnel vision, I've got proof, on two cars actually (my dad's got another old *** MSD [7AL-2] unit in his racecar) that they work just fine...
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

I bought the MSD because its one of the most reliable systems out there - tried and true. Of course there are going to be some failures in every system but after talking to quite a few people including a friend of mine who is a full time mechanic and works on a Sprint car pit crew said he rarely hears of MSD`s failing. There is a reason they are so popular with lot of other options out there. I went to a local car gathering and there were well over 100 hot rods there - EVERY single one that had a modified ignition system was MSD - seriously I was looking because I was trying to figure out what system to run in my 240Z. All of them made it to the car show....

If you`ve had one fail on you or you`ve had poor customer service you tend to get a bad taste in your mouth. People who have had problems with equipment tend to out vocalize those who haven`t.

When I switched to the MSD 6AL and MSD SS coil on my 240Z the engine was much much smoother and noticably peppier. Personally I`ve been very happy with my MSD. I saw another system that looked very interesting but I`ve forgotten the name of it. Very small about the size of a cigarette package...

...oh and you don`t get sponsorships from running equipment that doesn`t get you past the finish line....
Old 01-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by SHADY280
you need the tach adapter for it to work on a s130. i tried without it, no dice. it wont run the fuel injection either
I was told I needed get a tach adapter for the 240Z as it is a current triggered tach. Spent hours and hours reading on it. Turns out the manual for the 6AL had the fix right in it - a simple power resistor did the trick and the tach works. I am having a bit of an issue over 5K RPM but I think I just need to adjust the resistance for the higher RPM range to get the tach to trigger - haven`t played with that yet as the 240Z is in storage till the spring...
Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 AM

I just had the stock ignition module on my ZX die, the Mechanic kept ruling out the failure of this component and I decided to go MSD 6AL & a pn#8910 tach adaptor, however you must keep your stock ignition module to send the input to the MSD, we ended up using a 1981 Toyota corolla ignition module with the MSD this is just to get me back home to Yakima so I can try & find a decent and working 280ZX ignition module...
Old 03-04-2010, 05:19 PM

I know all you experts think I'm nutz, but I intend to prove that a stock ign can run 8 second 1/4 times, something I doubt may here have even dreamed of.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Über User

damn now its 8 seconds?!?!?!?!?! wasn't it 9.5 at 150mph 2 days ago? setting the bar higher!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 AM

...and this is going to be an N/A with less than $2,500 worth of mods? I gotta see this.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Über User

no its gonna have a HUUUUUGE blower on it and a 4.6 ford motor cause they are the best motors ever designed, jesus couldn't make a better motor himself man!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Ruff Ryder

I wanna see this stock ignition grow legs and run down the drag strip period! Are we talking about cars here bojo? on earth right? in this reality?