280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

My '83 is Fubared!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Unhappy My '83 is Fubared!!

Well my little brother came over here, earlier today. And helped me try to run my Z. Well it definately has a thrown rod, or something broken internally. Needless to say, it is dead in the water as of now. It is a downer, to say the least. Anyway it made a horrible clacking noise, that would get worse, as you revved it. He also looked at the plugs, and told me that the motor is shot. Oh well, saves me wasting anymore time on it.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Take the opportunity to do something cool, V8, RB, SR swap if you've got the time I'm sure you could do it for cheep.

Too bad man, good luck.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Doesn't post much...

Hey! WAIT!!!! It may not be THAT bad.

Pull the valve cover off first and make sure it isn't just your typical loose valve train part floating around as has happened to many people here...

Rod.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by CraigS
Take the opportunity to do something cool, V8, RB, SR swap if you've got the time I'm sure you could do it for cheep.

Too bad man, good luck.
Dude no offense, but I am a purist, and want to stay with the inline 6. I love these motors. And too many people have put V-8's, and other kinds of non-datsun nissan motors in Z's. I feel the originality is in the L-series motor itself. My opinion though, appreciate the feedback man.

I will have to think about what to do with my Z now. I have quite an open road, with different forks in it. I still got a good deal for the car. Just bummed, that the motor is blown in it. I might see how much a new L-28 long block will be from my dad's work. I need to give this some thought, still devastated right now.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:42 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

First, do what Rod said and pull the valve cover to make sure you don't have a loose rocker arm. What in/on the spark plug made your brother think the motor was toast?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Hey! WAIT!!!! It may not be THAT bad.

Pull the valve cover off first and make sure it isn't just your typical loose valve train part floating around as has happened to many people here...

Rod.
I did think about doing that, because I was guessing it was valves clacking. Thing is it sounds more to the bottom end of the motor not the top at all. Like a rod or bearing, is clacking around. And also it will only run on starting fluid, then die. But the higher you try to rev it. The worse, and louder the noise gets, like the motor is going to come apart. I have a weird feeling, the motor has been roached before Paul even got it. He just couldn't tell, because he couldn't keep it running long enough, to hear it making the terrible noise.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
First, do what Rod said and pull the valve cover to make sure you don't have a loose rocker arm. What in/on the spark plug made your brother think the motor was toast?
I still may for kicks, just to see. But I am pretty sure the motor needs an overhaul, and possibly a sleeving. Like my brother was mentioning to me. Mainly because of the way it sounded, and the way the plugs looked. As for the plugs, it is because of the oil deposits. Is what he was saying mainly. He works at Bill Luke Dodge, and knows his stuff. I wont question him, because I am no expert. But maybe I will still investigate, just don't really know where to start or begin with it.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Good Luck There Wildman... Get A Turbo Parts Car And Swap Out That Byiatch.....
Old 02-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Well my little brother came over here, earlier today. And helped me try to run my Z. Well it definately has a thrown rod, or something broken internally. Needless to say, it is dead in the water as of now. It is a downer, to say the least. Anyway it made a horrible clacking noise, that would get worse, as you revved it. He also looked at the plugs, and told me that the motor is shot. Oh well, saves me wasting anymore time on it.
That sucks man, well, I had a problem with the lashing pads on the valves getting loose on my '81 engine, so I decided to rebuild my '82 spare engine.
If it's only the that you need, I have an '81 block that I won't be needing soon. Well, I have the entire '81 engine, but the head has a valve lashing pad (valve #6) that keeps popping out.
Too bad you're all the way in Arizona; otherwise, I could've given it to you.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

He's in AZ, but it's far enough away from you in Miami that it's close enough...

Too bad you're not closer to SanFran, WildmaN. I'd let you have the motor out of my '83 parts car. I've run it and it sounds fine.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by skittle
Good Luck There Wildman... Get A Turbo Parts Car And Swap Out That Byiatch.....
Yeah I would if I could find one around here. Hard to come by, I have been watching ads, no luck. And if I do find one, it is out of my price range. I was trying to see about getting Bleach's Turbo for $500. But the shipping is probably too much, to bother with. I just live too far away from anything good.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by n00blar
That sucks man, well, I had a problem with the lashing pads on the valves getting loose on my '81 engine, so I decided to rebuild my '82 spare engine.
If it's only the that you need, I have an '81 block that I won't be needing soon. Well, I have the entire '81 engine, but the head has a valve lashing pad (valve #6) that keeps popping out.
Too bad you're all the way in Arizona; otherwise, I could've given it to you.
Thanks man, appreciate the thought nonetheless. So all the motor needs is a valve job? Yeah it is too bad, you or I aren't closer. Oh well, that is the way it goes.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
He's in AZ, but it's far enough away from you in Miami that it's close enough...

Too bad you're not closer to SanFran, WildmaN. I'd let you have the motor out of my '83 parts car. I've run it and it sounds fine.
Man you rock dude, still the offer means a lot. Even though I can't follow up on it. How much do you think shipping would be for it? To zipcode 85207, just for kicks?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Taste My Rainbow

They Have A Turbo Car In The Junk Yard Here But The Head, J-pipe, Dizzy, And A Few Connectors Cut.... With All Of That They Still Want 400 For It... Damn Vegas Prices....
Old 02-03-2007, 09:43 PM

If for whatever reason you can't find a replacement engine, and if you want to look at the '81 engine I have...here's a link to my site.
Yes, the '81 needs a good valve job and I the block was in decent shape.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Wow A Very Very Thourogh Site On Removal.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:02 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I have given this quite a bit of thought. And I think I am going to put another engine in my '83. So my guitar could be put on hold. I need to think about having a dependable daily driver, that I know for sure, will not blow up on me. Yes I have a lot of faith in my Bluestreak. But his engine is tired, and I want to put him down anyway. So I can get him ready for a turbo swap in the hopefully near future.

As we speak my dad is finding out for me on a remanufactured long block L-28. I figure it will run me $600-$800 or so. With my dad's discount, at his work and such. He is a parts runner for a privately owned auto parts company. And his boss can get about anything for cars.

I am sure I could do the swap in a weekend. But I may take my time, and do it in a month. I want to paint the engine, get another set of headers for it. And clean up the engine bay, and fix up the interior for daily driver status. Anyway that is where it stands as of now. I am pretty sure I am set on this, unless by some miracle the motor in the '83 is not shot. I may check the valves, but I may need help to do that. Like what to look for, and whatnot.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:54 AM

My engine is just as old man. I am rebuilding the seals and such on my head very soon. I just found the valve seals(with help) at Advance. 21$ for all 12. Already got my headgasket. Now all i am waiting on is the header and header gasket.