280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

my car won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Hmmmmmm replace engine? Lol
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

OK everyone is overcomplicating this. Replacing the cold start valve wouldn't do anything but keep it from running rough. Well that would be the case IF THIS EVEN HAD A COLD START VALVE! It's a turbo - they don't use the cold start valve.

First you need to figure out your fuel pump issue. There may be other issues to follow but lets get the fuel pump working first. You need to know how this thing works. There are some issues with the schematics but if you look at the Wiring Diagram for the turbo you'll see the truth - the ground for the fuel pump is supplied by the Fuel Pump Control Module whereas the other drawings don't show that the FPCM is grounding the fuel pump.

This is what I would do to trouble shoot it. Fish some wires through the fire wall to your battery and back to the fuel pump and hook it up directly. You can put a switch or relay in there but this is for testing purposes so you might not want to get that involved. If the car runs fine hooking up to the battery directly then you need to figure out if it's the positive side of the circuit or the negative side giving you grief. Jumper in one side of the circuit either by giving it 12V from the battery or grounding the other side. The positive side will be your fuel pump relay (and possibly the fuel pump control module as it turns on the positive side of the relay as well) and the negative side will be your fuel pump control module and/or the associated connections. If you can't figure it out from there report the results back and we'll help you along.

The fuel pump control module takes info from your optical encoder wheel, etc and does some more complicated control of the fuel pump to reduce audio noise, etc.
Attached Thumbnails my car won't start!!!-1982-280zxt-wiring-diagram-2.jpg  

Last edited by FricFrac; 03-21-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:59 PM

Better yet. . . . . . Tow it to a garage have them fix it =) saves alotta frustration on apprentice wrench turners
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Otherwise your pokeing prodding and tearing into is going to make matters much worse =)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Most mechanics don't have the knowledge that's available here for these particular cars.... You should here some of the "solutions" they propose....
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 AM

I will do that tomorrow. I had surgery so I haven't been on. Ill let you know what happens. Would I need a certain size of wire? Thank you for the help so far......Sometimes I feel like a brick wall.....

Last edited by march17green; 03-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Just be smart about it . . . . . . Don't get pissed and start hacking on wireing. . . . . Take your time grab some beer and buds and take your time collect all the screws and lil bits with a bag and once your done jumping the battery to fuel pump take the jumper back out. . . my buddy just went through this with his 89 cherokee trail jeep ripped the dash apart did jumpers fried the relays and some other bits. . . . Then I was thinking it will run and run till it over powers the injectors flooding it out or runs for a sec here and they're starveing the jeep. . . . Ok it deals with fuel pressure so hmmm hey dave um you need a fuel pressure regulator. . . . . Hence 70 bucks fixed. . . .
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Your issue is fireing up of the fuel pump. . . . . Ok well you turn the key so there's a switch there? Is the switch sloppy . . . Can you pull the key back out in the run pos? No ok were good that is takeing juice to the efi and fuel pump relays are they getting power? Pull them take them to napa they can test them. . . see what were trying to do you gotta pull and test bits and report back I can't tell you the red and brownn wire to your head temp switch is bad since um were not at your place with our heads in the car
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM

Im not getting pissed. I ran the wires from the battery to the fuel pump and it turned on. If I put the wrong key in and I turn it to on I can pull it straight out. I did that on accident a few times. I thhnk I might just wire in a relay or something and call it good if that is safe?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Well you're part way there. Hook the fuel pump up but on the ground side run a ground wire to the battery. Find out if that works and we'll go from there. You're half way there
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
The Good Twin

Two thumbs up! (one from me, one from Bleach).

Go now young one... start ye car!