280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

my first expierance in my Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 AM

my first expierance in my Z

well i got my license. i drove for a long time monday and monday night. my car was running great. had some gurls in the car and had to show them how its done.. now they love my car and want me to take them everywhere in it.. well today. 8/2/05. i was driving to San Fransisco to pic up my friends little sister from the airport.. along with her mom who was riding in the car with me. about 35 minutes out from sacramento, my car was running a little hotter than normal. it always runs hot but not this hot. i felt the car starting to drive funny, then the cap on my overflow blew off and steam was comin out of my hood. i smashed my emergency flashers on and pulled to the side of the freeway. i poped my hood. and my overflow cap was gone. and my car was overheated. severly. i let it rest for about 10 mins and a man from the freeway patrol with a tow truck said he would gladly tow me to the next exit and have me set up so im not on the side of the freeway. bla bla bla bla. i get the a parking lot. unfortunately not a gas station but it was better than the freeway. i poped my hood once more. and then i noticed that the belt that drives my altornator, my cooling fan and my waterpump had been ripped to shreds.. not in the fan.. strangly just ripped to nothing.. i still have it too. i FREAKED out. i just got my license yesterday. i called my dad. who knows my car fairly weel seen as how he drove it the most b4 i did. he said he would call a kragen and get a belt. he called back and said he would drive it out to fairfield and help me install it. about an hour and a half later he shows up and we begin to work on my car. we discover that the belt is the cosest to the block and we have to take the preceding belts off.. no biggie it would just take a little longer. after that was done, my dad discovered that the pully on the altornator had a slight dent in it. toward the middle of the pully, he looked at it closer and concluded that possible that the bend may have caused the belt to jump off the pully. after installing the new belt he noticed that the belt doesent quite wana skip off but doesent wana completely stay entirely on. its not come off since we put it on. im just curious should i replace the pully?
Old 08-03-2005, 03:26 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well I would say it would be a good idea. So you are saying the pulley on the alternator isa bent? Weird man, I can't say I have heard that before! Also I am not sure if you can get the pulley by itself, without buying a alternator. But anyway good luck to you, and bummer that happened. But I am glad to hear it wasn't too terrible.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 AM
The Evil Twin

Is the pully actually bent or is it just at an angle now? Could be the bearings inside the alternator broke and now the pully shaft is crooked. Also could be the alternator mount is broken or falling off.
I would take the alternator out and inspect it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 AM

naw dood the actually pully is bent. instead of the walls looking like this l l say that represents the pully outside walls. this is wat it looks like niow l / kinda.. but it spins fine. but one of the walls is dented inword a little bit about 2mm
Old 08-03-2005, 03:36 PM

well thats what caused your problem but HOW THE HELL DO YOU BEND A PULLY LIKE THAT?? thats absurd! if you find a crap alternator and take off the bolt on the pulley by holding the blades from turning and replace the blade/pully piece you might be able to solve itt, otherwise just eat like 50$ and got get another one.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 PM

I have a spare alternator laying around, or there is a nice 280zx at pnp that just arrived.