280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

In need of some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM

In need of some help

This is my first time doing this so be gentle.

I just got my hands on a 79 280zx, but I have been having a lot of white smoke once the engine gets to normal temp. I am aware that chances are I either have a blown head gasket, or a crack somewhere in the head.

My questions are these...

What would be the best to do if I have a crack in the head? Replace only the head? Find another L28E? Or go with some kind of engine swap?

If its just a blown head gasket I am going to simply replace the gaskets and run with it.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 PM
This facepalm's for you!

If the head is warped you can have it decked (shave it down so its strait) or just pick up a new head.
Theres plenty of em around for parts, Iv got at least 4-5 sitting in my shed for various nissan/Z motors
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info; however, I would like to know what I should do if the head is cracked, not warped.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
The Good Twin

Take it to a trusted machine shop and have them check it out. Most will check it for free to $20.

If it's cracked, and depending where, you could have it welded & re-surfaced / ground. A cracked aluminum L-Series head is pretty rare though.

Please explain when, where, and how this happened, so we can get a better idea if it really is a head issue.

Have you checked all the spark plugs? One or more "steam cleaned" tips will be a dead give away. Also coolant in the oil (milky brown oil) or oil in the coolant are classic signs. Bubbles in the coolant when you remove the radiator cap, disappearing coolant, overheating, etc....

Please tell more about what is going on.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Have you checked all the spark plugs? One or more "steam cleaned" tips will be a dead give away. Also coolant in the oil (milky brown oil) or oil in the coolant are classic signs. Bubbles in the coolant when you remove the radiator cap, disappearing coolant, overheating, etc....
I have worked on cars for a few years and I checked for all the obvious signs. Including those stated above. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. The only symptom I have been getting is a constant white smoke once the engine heats up. I am in the process of taking the engine apart to determine if it's a head gasket issue. Between work and school, the amount of time I can dedicate to this project has been diminishing.

I will keep you updated on the progress.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
The Good Twin

< cough >

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Please explain when, where, and how this happened, so we can get a better idea if it really is a head issue.
Sounds like you know what you are doing then? I'm just checking in case you don't need to do all that work... ya know.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Try retorquing the headbolts first. And you do know that if theres some water in your catalytic converter wit will smoke once hot as well. if its your head gasket it should smoke all the time, hot or cold...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM

hahaha yeah I know. I have done a few gasket replacements I just haven't had a cracked head and I honestly didn't know what to expect. Thanks for the help
Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 PM
This facepalm's for you!

a cracked L head is very rare, its going to warp long before it cracks
Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM

I have another question. For those of you that have taken apart a L28E engine, what type and size socket do I need to remove the head bolts? It looks like an oversized allen wrench, and I don't want to be buying tools that are the wrong size if I don't have to. Thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 PM
The Good Twin

Hum... I have one in my tool box in the garage... I can't remember the size right off the top of my head. A quick google search or looking through the Haynes manual or FSM should tell you.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM

Haynes Manual doesn't have it. I will check out the google search, but FMS? I honestly have no idea what that is
Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
The Good Twin

FSM = Factory Service Manual ... www.xenons130.com/reference
Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

10mm Hex