280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Need Some Help buy 280zx

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:35 AM
The Evil Twin

I've never heard of a fuel sensor. You'll need to find out exactly what is wrong with the car. If it only costs $100 why didn't the owner just fix it so he could sell the car for more? Sounds like he doesn't maintain the car, he doesn't really know whats wrong with it, or he is deceiving you.

Whatever he tells you, it may end up being more of a problem than you first expect. Does the car run and drive good? How much is he asking for this high milage 280zx turbo with a fuel problem?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:10 PM
The Evil Twin

Ok, well common fuel related replacement items are:

Air Flow Meter: easy to replace: $25-100 used, $200+ new
Fuel Pressure Regulator: not very hard to replace: $25-30 new
Head Temp Sensor: easy to replace: $50 new
Fuel Injectors: difficult, time consuming to replace: $120-300 new (eBay!)
Oxygen Sensor: can be hard, should be easy. They seize up in the exahust manifold: $30-40 new

Might be some other stuff on the turbo I don't know about. The ECU rarely goes bad. If it does, it may not run at all.

Maybe some intake boots or seals are leaking. That causes problems with the fuel mixture. Replace the air filter!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:57 AM
The Evil Twin

Replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket is not a huge project. They are one piece. Make sure you specify TURBO when ordering it!

The cat might be clogged and that's what aided in blowing the exhaust manifold gasket. After you replace the gasket, imediatly drive it (keep low rpms) to an exahust shop and just have a whole new pipe, cat, and muffler put on.

The only other thing is... i think the factory turbo does not have a blowoff valve; maybe you need one if the boost level was changed from factory settings.

Replace the air flow meter with a used one. Look here or on Z-car.com for them. I've seen them for sale in good working condition for $30-100. The turbo AFM is harder to find and costs a little more than the N/A one. (Normally Aspired)

As for the tach, it could be as simple as a signal wire off the coil not being connected or the gauge could be bad. I've never seen the tach go bad though. You can find the gauge clusters on eBay often for $10-30. Check all connections around the coil.

And those computers can't be read! They are so simple there's nothing to them. I think the 1985 Nissan Maxima was one of the first ECU's that Nissan made to be read by a mechanic's computer diagnostics. Plug in your Atari 2600 and you'll have higher end technology!
Old 11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
The Evil Twin

I go to the no-name shops run by an independant guy. Not Midas or other major chain muffler shops.

Usually $150 for your basic pipe, generic cat, and simple muffler that's not super quiet.

On my Z, I installed headers because the shop says "We don't touch that". Then I drove it to the shop with just headers on. (ya, its loud like you can't imagine!) He made a nice flowing collector (that took a while) installed a catalytic converter that I had bought new from another place for $50, installed a Flowmaster muffler at the end all for $200. He might have thrown the cat in for free. I wouldn't bother getting one from somewhere else. I'm sure the shop will have a selection. I got 2.5 inch for my n/a Z. I'd suggest 2.25 for other n/a L28. For your turbo, get 2.25 if you want a near stock setup or 2.5 to 3 inch if you're going for high performance with plans to put out more boost in the future. Remember, the smaller the pipe, the more quiet it will be too.

Also, http://www.importedcarparts.com/ has a good selection of parts and cheap too. I get all my stuff from there and install it myself. The exhaust and final paint job is the only thing I didn't do on my 280ZX.
- - - - - - - - - Update - - - - - - - - - -
I checked both car parts sites. They both use the same online parts inventory software but the site I posted is cheaper for your exhaust manifold gasket. www.expressautoparts.com also uses the same software and most of their prices are just a tiny bit higher than importedcarparts.com

Doesn't hurt to shop around and have two or three browsers open. Also, Express Auto gives free shipping on orders over $50. They are cheaper than Overnight Auto Parts who give the same offer. (you pay for it in the price of the parts! haha) For small orders, Imported Car Parts looks like the best deal.

Last edited by Bleach; 11-26-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:00 PM
The Evil Twin

At least $50. Up to $150. Maybe cheaper than $50 if an exhaust shop puts it in with a whole setup.