280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 05:47 PM

New Car

I WENT AND DID IT THIS TIME this red 81 l28e AT with Ttops and power windows was down the street from me its been ther for a while now the guy wanted $350 SO i bought it .IT has a blowen head gasket iam ordering a gasket set and pulling it apart this week .

IS there any thing i should watch for went pulling it apart he said he had just changed the water pump and the next day the head gasket went out and he didnt want to mess with it he{didnt have time} i think it had been losing water for some time becauce i found water jugs in the back............ The motor looks really clean and it only has 111108 on her so i think i can do this any help or
{what to watch out for would be great}
Old 02-12-2005, 08:06 PM

man nice...good for you ....well just make sure you know how to put it back togeter hahah :P
you might wanna check the rest of the gaskets too since its not good to reuse gaskets..
Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 PM

You should take a look at the radiator just incase it has a crack jugs could mean it over heated alot. Good deal on the car and good luck with the project.
-chuck
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys.......... i draned all the water and oil yesterday put it all back in with a new oil filter it fired right up. I rAn it down the street and it got hot checked it over after that and it DID NOT have any water in the the oil thank god for big favorS looks like the lower radiator hose rubbed on the alt. and made a hole .i think also that the thermoststat is not opening up all the way becauce it when it gets hot it kicks boiling hot water back into the over flow tank .......ANY THOUGHS ON THAT??
Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 AM
The Evil Twin

Take the thermostat out, drill a small hole in the flat part of it (since you'll replace it later anyway).
Top off the radiator. Drive it again and see what happens.

The radiator could be clogged or leaking. If he overheated it several times, the head might be warped. Starting up is a good sign though. Check all the spark plugs. If you've got one plug screwed up, then maybe that cylinder has water in it. If the exhaust is clean after its warmed up then maybe the head gasket isn't blown.