280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New to forum with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 PM
User Friendly

Originally Posted by BlackzxT
iam here and everywhere silverhand him self couldnt stop me so you really think that you are going to do any better .....come on now BARBIE .
i will be as harsh as i need to be to get my point acrossed..just because you can type big words doesnt mean your saying anything IMPORTANT....
Think again, BlackzxT. Godzilla owns this website, so he makes the rules. You can either obey them or suffer the consequences.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Über User

im not gonna lie....i kinda liek the guy.... hahaha...his stuck up ******* attitude is funny. sure he shouldnt be so quik to rip on people but meh....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:55 PM

his attitude isn't the problem for me (though some of the statements do go a little far with the name calling)...its his ability to so quickly forget where he was not so long ago: asking silly questions and needing all kinds of help. Just like the people he now bashes.

I'm not hating on you black...we had some times using Fubar's FUBAR'd chat room ...just giving my opinion on the matter
Old 11-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
back to dad with the gas and .............
if the car has been sitting for any length of time, you will find there are a few other problems that might need to be addressed---seals and such----tromp the pedal gently for the first few miles---i think you will find yourself giving the son a different car as you decide to keep the z!!!! ?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by z-hag
i think you will find yourself giving the son a different car as you decide to keep the z!!!! ?
And there lies the true problem soon to be at hand
Old 11-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
yeah--dad should keep da zed-- insurance reasons, as it were--and son should drive a generic sedan, or something he will not die in an accident before he is 21. i'm a mom--my kid is 32--i had a little sporty car when he was turning driving age--rule#1: if it is a good thing, it is BAD for teenagers. teens get old clunkers until they have proven mastery of car control. after 5 years without any crash-bangs, then maybe a nicer car. chevy luv trucks are great for teenage boys--they do not go fast enough to need brakes.

good luck, dad--but, if you really want to live with the kid until he's a real human being, give him an ooolllldddd small pick up truck to learn how to destroy--THEN, M A Y B E think a little about a nicer pick up truk. then, when you die, will him the Z. they're WWWAAAYYY too good for teen aged boys----especially if you are the parent. if you are the kid-------sorry----oops, you lose!!! i am a very fair minded mom. i got the good stuff--the kid had to EARN better stuff. and know how to save 85$/hour mechanix fees. consider the rebuild motor retail: 6000$ US---ouch.

so, dad, ya gonna get yer kid a truk, right????? or your old car?????
dam, i am glad my kid lives elsewhere!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Über User

its an older Z.... insurance cant be that much... jsut go liability...i did liability only on my z32 and only paid like 400 every 6 MO's i think...same as my damn 92 toyota camry lol...
Old 11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Queen of Yachts

dad--do not listen to da kid.. clap yer hands over yer ears!!!!~! if ya wanna win this one, good luck. do not let yer kid talk to any other younguns about sporty cars. get him an older p/u truk. no gun rack. no camper. no shell. tonneau cover only. keep da pretty car yerself --at least until ya know he's not gonna kill his lil sef in it--and then consider your options. personally, i really enjoy the insurance scam lie--works well on kids with ADD--unless they like looking things up.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by z-hag
dad--do not listen to da kid.. clap yer hands over yer ears!!!!~! if ya wanna win this one, good luck. do not let yer kid talk to any other younguns about sporty cars. get him an older p/u truk. no gun rack. no camper. no shell. tonneau cover only. keep da pretty car yerself --at least until ya know he's not gonna kill his lil sef in it--and then consider your options. personally, i really enjoy the insurance scam lie--works well on kids with ADD--unless they like looking things up.
That reminds me of this kid that came on here not too long ago cause he was planning on getting a Z. But then his parents found out that they weren't very safe and were considered sports cars and told him he couldnt get one anymore. So he was on here trying to get ammunition to convince his parents that the Z was actually a good first car to have I'm not sure how it ended, but I'm pretty sure it wasnt with a Z.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Well if you still want some input...
I'd say get it, help your son out but don't do most of the work, make him spend most of the time on it.

My dad bought our 280ZX brand new and eventually over the years, with kids (my brother and I) and the job, it didn't have the attention it needed and was left in the garage.

Long story short, I got my license, took the family SUV into the mountains, "sank" it so it wouldn't run and we were forced to whip out the ol Z. No one knew if it ran or not, been sitting for 4 years, had 163K miles, needed new tires, some body work, and the interior needed to be "refreshed" (sound familiar? ... kinda scary...). I did most of the work with my dad giving me advice. Here it is on the road now running like a champ (thanks to some help on this forum too) and me more knowledgable about cars and also much more appreciative of them!

My personal opinion is, that car is easily worth more than $500 to me in the condition you said it's in. Rust is a big deal to me, I'd much rather spend $500 on a Z that is rust-less and may or may not run than one that has alot of rust and runs. That's just me, I find body work to be harder than mechanical.

My bets are on it starting after cranking over for a bit.

EDIT: As for the teenager having it situation... It really depends on the kid, you know your kid and you'll know if they can handle a 'sports car' or not. If they were growing up constantly trying to be the fastest, crashing into things with their bike or what have you, probably not the best decision... hahaha

But I mean, if you feel like your kid can handle a car that can get up to higher speeds than that ol truck then go for it. They're going to have atleast one close call, I'm sure we all have, but what is life without learning? Even in an ol truck, you're gonna have atleast once close call in it, I guarantee it.

By the way, insurance for our 280ZX (just liability) was far less than a 4x4 would have been for me at age 17.

Last edited by SpeciallySpiked; 11-01-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm a Registered User!

oh yeah p.s. i bought another car 2 weeks ago because i always wanted it and i thought "2 cars, perfect! half the miles and twice the fun!"

wrong, my dad wants the Z back now hahahaha
Old 11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Queen of Yachts

Toldjaso!!!!!!!!!(dad wants back!!! some noive?)---yea, dad!

dad--whatever he gets to drive--he should be doing ALL the work with dad as supervisor--and ultimate resource (that means dad knows who to call when this gets out of hand!)--and dad deserves to have the Z because he actually allowed the kid to live----

and everyone lives happily ever after! ????? !

Last edited by z-hag; 11-01-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm a Registered User!

hahaha I like that^^^ I agree.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Queen of Yachts

i'm a mom-----i know ALL.

and ima rn, so im MEAN and fairminded. ya wanna die--NOT in my Z--ya wanna break it----ya get ta FIX it.

i'm the meanest mom in the world. my son said that because ididn't kill him for stealing my truk in the middle of the night and driving 50 miles while i was at work. the truk was shift. he had no license. he taught himself.
on the freeway.
at midnight.

can i kill him now?????????

PLEASE???????
Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Über User

i have a mom and dad....thats NUTS!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Queen of Yachts

nooo, baby----that's beautiful.

i hadta be both for my kid cause his dad was a ---------. having both parents is way great. i still have both of mine--dad's 84. ma has a large number for her age--78? i fergit--she looks and acts much younger. i am very lucky to have both of my folks. ya get over the rebellions after a while, and parents actually seem to get smarter!

or, so they tell me.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:51 PM

A lot of good advise. The first time we went to see the car my son told me he really like it. Some of the advise given here include keeping the car for myself and then getting another car, I have given this some though and I was even thinking on giving him my Landcruiser, a lot safer and not a very fast car and it uses a lot of gas, which would help keeping him out of the road. I like working in cars and have a project truck that I have been working on for a few years now (My wife thinks it is a disease that I have and there should be some sort of pill for it) The Z seems like a good idea, my commute is only 5 miles, maybe not a bad idea to use as a communter as it gets fixed. BTW: What is the typical MPG on these vehicles? My Landcruiser only gives me 15MPG average.
I have taken into account things such as new tires, new brakes, new fluids all around, new vacuum lines, new spar plugs and wires, PCV. The interior needs cleaning, noticed the AC compressor is not being driven by a belt, so it will need new belts and hoses. So I figure a $500.00 to get it to be a safer driver would require at leat $800.00. It sure beats a $500 a monthly payment on a new "me too" car.

Thanks guys/gals you are great.

AT
BTW: I am located in Idaho and noticed some of the members of the list are in Idaho.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
No Club Love

What part of idaho bro..im in the south east corner all alone, so i go to utah to meet people, they seem to be more judgemental and less hickish. Just depends where you live though. And use the search function about gas milage, it just depends what you have, some get up to 28 some as low as 18. I get like 22, when i don't have my foot in it. Don't you love idaho though....no smoging.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Wreckedj30,
I am located in Eagle. I did the opposite that you did, I moved from Cali to Idaho about 4 years ago and have not looked back. Idaho is a great place to live, but Ada county is the only county in the state that has a smog requirement, but it is not as draconian as the California smog II test. Is there a problem with the Z passing the smog test?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 PM
No Club Love

yeah i just move here last year, i hate it though, too many narks and sissy people. They never handle there beef, so yeah. i'm going back and going to keep the license plates and reg. up here. No they don't have trouble, well some do but yeah, over here they don't smog. But i think mine won't pass.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Über User

there wouldnt be any narks if you didnt give them anything to nark about...
and whats so bad about living in a place that avoids confrontation? first of all should make you look and feel like the BA and you dont have to worry about crap
Old 11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Queen of Yachts

hey, dad-------i bought older clapped out zs and found the input of dollars for a z31 to run after 4 years of sitting is about 4k$--doing it yourself saves about 3500$--you found a 280, yes? i do not know how they compare in price rates for repair----2 of my 3 z31s passed smogin cali easily--the third took some work. these are fun cars--fun to drive and frustrating to repair--but well worth it. i joke somewhat about keeping the car for yourself--but if you have a landvruiser, then you'll just have to keep both and find the kid a chevy luv truk or something!!!!! your toys are wwaaaayyyy too good for a kid!!! you got a lucky kid, man-----take care and figger out the most painful thing for the kid--they are fun to torture!!! (mine is still alive, and is 32 years old--has a kid of his own--and he STILL loves his ma!)
Old 11-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Über User

I Knew Parents Did This Crap On Purpose!!!!! Your All Goin Down!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm a Registered User!

Gas mileage - I am currently getting 30mpg (highway both ways) going to school and back. 500 miles to around 17.5 gallons...not bad

Land cruisers are awesome, it's one of the old ones right? I don't know which I'd rather have hahaha

p.s. 2 seats means he won't be driving his friends most of the time.

anyways, good luck
Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Über User

that^^^ and youll always have privacy for you and your girl

Quick Reply: New to forum with some questions.