280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New guy needs some help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:09 PM

New guy needs some help/advice

Hey fellas (and maybe ladies)

New here, new to nissan/datsun, new to 280's, not new to cars. I'm 17 but I've been doing the car thing for a while, I've got a '61 Ford Falcon with a brand new (built by myself) 200 c.i.d I-6, which is good because, good news, 280's are inline sixes as well. But I digress...

A buddy of mine has a '79 ZX that I'm in the process of acquiring for $300, and yes, its rough. The body has seen better days and I don't even want to start on the interior. Somebody had tried to jack the car by shoving a screwdriver into the ignition tumbler () and destroyed it (have a new one on order) and my buddy had for some reason tried to get one of the bolts off one of the studs on the starter and broke it off. Well, I went over today and pulled the starter and battery to recharge, drilled out the old stud and put in a new one (tested it, works fine). My current question here is: can I just turn the keyhole in the back of the ignition piece (http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/liv...5020783OES.JPG <-looks like that) and will that act just the same as turning the key would or is there some kind of trick there? I don't want to hotwire it but I also don't want to keep him waiting for the 5-7 days that it will take for the new tumbler to get here.

Ideas? Comments? Spank you all
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 PM

I think if you can get it to spin, you should be able to start it. Order yourself a Black Dragon catalog, it's free and go check out The Z Store for some parts also.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:03 PM

unbolt the tumblers from the ignition switch there is two bolts that hold the whole assembly to the steering colmn than I think two or three tamper proof screws holding the two pieces of the ignition switch together. Take the bolts out and you get where the piece where the tumbles used to sit and u can use anything to turn it over.... i'll go take a picture so u see what i'm talkin about
Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM

This is the tumbler assembly there is two screws that hold it to the piece below which once removed you can use...
this
you can stick about anything in there to turn the car over...
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by flightforlife07

This is the tumbler assembly there is two screws that hold it to the piece below which once removed you can use...
this
you can stick about anything in there to turn the car over...
thanks thats exactly what i was asking and you nailed it. i have that first part already out and i'm assuming that the second part is hanging so i will definitely try that when i go back over tomorrow to put the starter back in (he lives about 20 miles away unfortunately or i'd already have it back running and at my house)

thanks for the help everybody, i'll let you know once i get it home and snap some pics
Old 06-18-2007, 04:25 AM

one more quick question:

if i go out there, hook the battery up, put the starter back in, reconnect all the leads, and then try and turn that and it doesnt start or even turn over, where is the next possible weakest link or is it a crapshoot like most other cars?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 AM

are you getting power to any of the accessories? check all your fusible links located on the passenger side of the engine compartment in the little rectangular box or body grounds if you are getting power to everything i'm not sure...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by flightforlife07
are you getting power to any of the accessories?
i'm not sure about that, the battery was dead when i went to get the starter so i just brought the batt back to charge it, but i'll check all that when i get there. hopefully it'll just start
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 PM

well yall i went out and put in my new and improved starter and fully charged battery. still nothing. so i went to a junkyard and got the solenoid off of a '78 (NEW ONES ARE $40????) and did some surgery and that seemed to do the trick at least now it clicks when i turn the key. the car apparently has some wiring issues (theres a box lookin thing by the battery with a bunch of wires in no apparent order) so what do you all say? or should i give up on this one?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Über User

a box by the battery... how big of a box? could be a shunt (do zx's have a shunt) or just the EFI relay. lol... you should snag uss a few pics of the engine bay under dash and teh car in general
Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Hey...if you're looking for some *bling* under the hood........these look really good and are hand made to order.

http://www.megaz.net/hds.html
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 AM

no shunt on the ZX. Near the battery was also the fuse link box.

If you got the solenoid clicking, and your battery cables are in good condition then the problem is most likely the starter itself.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
no shunt on the ZX. Near the battery was also the fuse link box.

If you got the solenoid clicking, and your battery cables are in good condition then the problem is most likely the starter itself.
thats what i have concluded myself but i'm battling myself whether i wanna drop $75 on a car that i dont even own yet

what do you all think? is it worth it?
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Doesn't post much...

Welcome to ZDriver!

Rod.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by highvolkage
thats what i have concluded myself but i'm battling myself whether i wanna drop $75 on a car that i dont even own yet

what do you all think? is it worth it?

Take the old starter down to a parts store that offers free testing. Then atleast you'll know if thats the problem.

Then if you buy a starter and that ends up not being your problem, or you end up not wanting to buy the car just dont knuck up the starter while installing it and you could always return it. Just tell them the car exploded into a massive fireball before you could install it
Old 06-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Über User

if the starter tests ok, while your there, maybe try a new positive battery cable, my car was like this, one problem was teh starter, the other was teh battery cable
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 PM

i tested the starter and the problem is
a.) the solenoid was shot
b.) i got a solenoid off a '78 and the gear refused to pop out which i think means the starter is shot

so i think i'm going to throw in the towel on this car because i'm not interested in dropping $70 more on a car that i already know has electrical problems when that might not be the only issue. also when i first looked the car over it had good clutch pressure and now it drops straight to the floor.

but thanks for all of your help guys, i have had my little introduction to Z cars and hopefully i'll find one in better condition to mess with down the line