280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New Tech: exhaust driven alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Über User

you know the radiator fluid pumpin threw our cars, have it go through like a turbine and have that spin an alternator, or like make a mini steam powered alternator running of the engine heat. that would be different.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:33 AM

Snwbrd has a good point there, but then you would need to upgrade watter pump, cause it would cause more strain on it. and the turbine you would need to produce enough power to replace a alternator would need to be almost a foot long if not more, i don't think i want a foot of strait watter line showing under my hood.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:57 AM

There is also a completely electrical method of producing "perpetual power" using a self-biasing crystal oscillating circuit... ive been working on the values of components to get it to work properly for some time, but dont exactly have the resources to build the thing to test it (Only been able to use simulation programs to test)
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Über User

perpetual motion is complicated ive thought about htis to but i dont see you you can create the power to run a motor and then even more to power something else...something is gonna overloadand if it was created...it probly wouldnt be that powerful or benificial. but eh
Old 12-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Actual perpetual motion is impossible and cannot be achieved on its own without some sort of assistance. If someone could give me one example of actual working perpetual motion then I'll change my mind. Think about it, in order to have sustainable perpetual motion you'd have to a have a frictionless media moving through another frictionless media. I dont' know but last time I checked, EVERYTHING produces friction. Even our atmosphere produces friction. And then theres gravity to contend with. And zero gravity would probably make matters worse as motion would have no predertmined path to follow. It could stray in what ever direction it wants. You gotta remember that perpetual motion must be SELF sustainable for an indefinite amount of time. So if it uses the aid of electronics, magnetism (generated, not natural) or outside physical force then it can't be considered perpetual motion. If you could design two zero friction objects, like a ring around a pole, and remove all traces of atmosphere so no matter was left around the objects, they you could possibley get one of them to rotate in or around the other with no assistance to sustain themselves. But thats not going to happen cause there is no such zero friction material. The only perpetual motion I can think of involves magnetism but even that wont last long cause either the magnets must be energized by an electrical source (no longer perpetual motion) or the magnets would soon lose their magnetism and you lose your perpetual motion (so it's not self sustaining).

So in short, a motor that relies on ANYTHING to move cannot be considered perpetual motion. Just thought I'd clear that up
Old 12-28-2005, 02:12 PM
The Evil Twin

but that is exactly why people are working on the electromagnet generator.
If they can succeed in getting a motor that produces slightly more power than it takes to charge the magenets and spin itself, then you have free electricity which would then be the solution to all our fuel needs. I really hope it can happen. It might save our environment...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM

That'd be sweet.