280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

No heat, no A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 AM

No heat, no A/C

Car: 1982 280zx turbo with Auto climate!!

Both worked on the car when i got it back in Feb, now all of a sudden niether work but air blows out its just not hot or cold. Ive recently replaced the water pump and thermo.

Also the car run badly when cold, wants to die but doesnt... Runs and idles fine when hot. Ive been replacing vaccum hoses and the water temp sender. The CHTS will be next, but anything i may be missing would be great. Oh and i also have cleaned/replaced all grounds and connectors that i can think of. wondering if its that AAR or whatever its called thing. Thanks guys.

Last edited by J-cubZ; 08-28-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:44 PM
The Good Twin

Auto-climate controls are notorious for vacuum line leaks. When there's a leak, the system defaults to defrost and floor vents.

As for the hot/cold issue...

The water valve (water ****) controls coolant to the heater core. Is there coolant running through the heater core?

Is your a/c pump kicking on when you slide it to a/c?
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Auto-climate controls are notorious for vacuum line leaks. When there's a leak, the system defaults to defrost and floor vents.

As for the hot/cold issue...

The water valve (water ****) controls coolant to the heater core. Is there coolant running through the heater core?

Is your a/c pump kicking on when you slide it to a/c?
Thanks for the reply...

I can get air from all the vents, that part works fine its just not hot or cold just outside air.... Where is the water valve located? can i reach the heater core by taking off the cover on the passenger side? dunno about the a/c pump i will check that i just know it worked about a month ago. Also is the water temp sensor the same type that you use for the CHTS? Any ideas about the bad idle when the car is cold....it runs better the warmer it gets so it doesnt take long to get it running better. Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Found out the TPS doesnt appear to be working on the car... i unplug it and it makes no difference. Im gonna order a new one but need to know where i can get a new plug of that type. Also looking for answer on the question above about the heat...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
The Good Twin

We just had a discussion on the TPS here: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...&highlight=tps

Before blowing money on a TPS that likely ISN'T the prob, adjust it.

The water valve is located on the right side of the heater box... it's what your two coolant lines run to after going through the firewall. I also suggest buying a Haynes manual or downloading the FSM here: www.xenons130.com/reference

Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Thumbs down Auto climate....fml

So guess im ripping out my dash this weekend so i can see whats up with my Auto Climate, It just blows outside air. The selector works with any combination of vents but just isn't hot or cold... Anyways I just need to know where this water **** thing is located, also if someone has the part# for it and other parts i may need.... Im guessing i should replace all the vaccum lines? This is gonna be a nightmare with the nice stereo and alarm system that was on the car i can already see lots of wires and lines going everywhere.

Car is the '82 5sp turbo.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
The Good Twin

Merged threads. See my previous post... I already stated the location of the water ****.

Also... feel free to search, we've had many discussions about this part before.