280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

no power inside or outside car???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:05 PM

no power inside or outside car???

83 datsun 280zx has no interior lighting/gauges, no horn, no brake lights, no power windows, no reverse lights, HAS headlights, and bright indicator, but thats it, no idea what is wrong, as car was like this when i bought it a few days ago, seller said it was a relay that had just gone out the day before, so i looked the relays over, and looked at all the fusable links, but everything looks fine, andy suggestions would really be appreciated, as im really stumped. i stripped all the interior to visually inspect all wiring, but it all looks fine, car fires right up, no problem, and runs pretty good ( a little rough, but hey, it was 400$ haha) so, anyhway, any help would really be great, thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM

Sounds like a fusable link to me. Pop 'em open and give a sniff. If you smell burnt plastic, that's what's wrong. Same thing happened to me when I had a Z31.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:18 PM

if you got a meter u can test for continuity in your links. I couldn't use duckyz method cause I got no sense of smell whatsoever. Just woke up one morning and it was gone. But yeah I'd go with fuse link too. I grabbed a handful at the junkyard just to keep in case I ever need them. I've gone through a few.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:07 PM

Also might want to check your combo switch on the steering column...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM

Also, wookie, you can't tell if the fuse link or relays are bad just by looking at them (unless they burned really bad, like you tried to run the car off 120V ). The links have to be tested with an ohmmeter, and the relays can be tested a couple of ways. You can use an ohmeter to check for bad contacts internally by checking continuity between the V supply contacts, and you can supply votage to the relay and check for continuity at the switch contacts. The bottom of the relay should have it's own schematic to tell what's what. I don't have a wiring diagram but if you or somebody else wants to check what all those bad circuits share that the headlights don't you can narrow your problem down pretty easily.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:43 PM

Oh, and you did check your fuses right? That gets overlooked sometimes
Old 06-20-2005, 05:22 PM

so far i checked for continuity on all fusable links, all are good still, i tried swapping around the relays( the ones i checked were all the same) the headlight relay works, but when i put it in the other plugs, still nothing. i pulled apart the steering column, and the key switch thing had a black plug on one side that has 2 wires in it, and one of the wires was ripped out, but when i stuffed it back in, and turned the key over, still nothing, is all that stuff controlled by the ecu? is there a chance that thats the problem? im pretty stumped. i appreciate the ideas so far, has anyone else ever had this happen to them? i also checked the fuse box, and one was burnt, the one for the stereo, but it doesnt have one in it now haha.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:50 PM

wookie, none of your problem areas are controlled by the ecu, so don't worry about that being the problem. The only thing your ecu controls is your engine manegment. Check under your dash to make sure all the wiring cluster connectors are in place. One of these could've been pulled loose. There's also a few of these connectors under the passenger side lower dash panel. I wish I could be more help with your problem, but I don't have access to a wiring diagram. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:53 PM

no ecu doesnt controll that...ecu controls only components to make your engine run

ahh you beat me to it

Last edited by Skully; 06-20-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 PM

Oh and one more thing while I'm still here: Pick one of your trouble areas, taillights for example, and start from the lights and trace the wiring testing for continuity. When you've tested all the wires associated with that circuit for continuity, double back from the fuse block, and check for voltage this time around. Once you find your dead spot, that'll probably be the answer to all the other problems too. This is time consuming and will require removing interior panels, but eventually it WILL tell you where your problem is. Wiring diagram will definitely simplify things. Haynes has wiring diagrams at the back of all they're manuals and they're only like $12. I'd recommend getting one.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:06 PM

i'll definitely start tracing the wires back tomorrow, i already stripped all the interior, panels, and carpet out, started checking all plugs, and harnesses, and im just getting my butt whipped, but i will keep checking everything, thanks alot for all the help. i really appreciate it.