280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Not happy with my ZX

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM

Angry Not happy with my ZX

Ya know, this car really sucks right now!!! Stupid FI system...Stupid vacuum lines, Stupid electrical crap all over the intake STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!! I just don't care anymore...I make money and I am gonna get the Arizona Z Car 4bbl Intake and be done with all this FI CRAP!!!!

If any of you want to help me get it quicker I have many parts from my 82 N/A still, including:
The P79 Head-$75
The F54 Block 98,XXX miles-$150
Auto tranny, though I am sure nobody wants it-$1,000,000
R180 3.54-$50
Tail lights-$40 for the pair in good shape
Turn signals, marker lights or whatever else anyone is interested in let me know and or make an offer, I will check my PM's and get right back to you.

I figure I need about $650 all together to do the 4bbl conversion correctly...please don't suggest I use that money to make the FI better, I really don't want to make it better, If I must deal with out dated technology such as is the FI on the 280zx's then I might as well go with the out dated carburetor setup...at least then I will be more knowledgeable with it and there will be less to go wrong, if it goes wrong.

At $34 per injector ($204) $130 fuel rail (Pallnet) EGR, PCV, B.A.D.D., Cold start valve, Head temp sensor, FPR, and many other little things that are just too damn much trouble for me to mess with or troubleshoot and replace. And those damn vacuum lines, holy crap....I cant seem to track down the damn leaks and now my car is running like complete **** and I know it all has to do with the FI and all the little sensors and crap eeeeuuugggghhhhhh!!!

With the 4bbl there are like 2 vacuum lines...electric choke.....PCV.....turn the key and be happy....I want to be happy in my Z.......I really do.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Ruff Ryder

just make sure to go with holley...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100zx
just make sure to go with holley...
But of course and the day I buy the Holley will be the day I also buy a package of assorted jets so when I do add a cam later on I will have the jets right there to upgrade, and you can bet your *** they don't cost $34 apiece. I have a feeling that when the vacuum secondaries open the L28 is gonna be real happy to have that extra fuel...and it sounds cool when they open too.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 PM

Don't write it all off till you're sure of what's going on. I almost did that with the last thing that was "bugging" my car, and found it was a stupid little thing. Half the fun of these cars is figuring out the stupid ****. You can do it, Bud! Hang in there, and it will pay off! I have confidence in you!!!

Carl
Old 03-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Carl's Z
Don't write it all off till you're sure of what's going on. I almost did that with the last thing that was "bugging" my car, and found it was a stupid little thing. Half the fun of these cars is figuring out the stupid ****. You can do it, Bud! Hang in there, and it will pay off! I have confidence in you!!!

Carl

I am sure the car is pissing me off and getting worse everytime I try to fix it. I am not having fun...I need this car to get me to and from work, if it craps out I can't work......I hope it gets better when all the Sea Foam is out of the car
Old 03-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Über User

your pissed at your car.... come over here with my problems, its a true mystery, i have ideas but if they dont fix it, im gonna blow the **** up. i have a feeling im gonna be selling the turbo S30 much sooner than expecting, get her to run good, get the IC and exhuast made up, get soem detailing done, and sell the **** for some $$$$ in my pocket, LOTS! lol
Old 04-01-2007, 02:19 AM

efficient injectors cost way more of 34 bucks each, good injectors last forever , my car still run with 24 year ol injectors...my point is look for the elusive european car mechanic..those with the symbols painted at front, BM, Volvo, etc, those guys will love to take a look at a datsun, they understand the Bosch system, like you said primitive but SIMPLE for the Right mechanic.. they will fix your car in no time for the price of a carb in the box.
FI is also know as EFI(efficent)..at 3 bucks a pop you don't really want to go "back"

Last edited by turbot5; 04-01-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

That sucks dude. I definitely don't recommend these cars as your only means of transportation.

That's why I drive a Honda. 1999 w/130,000 miles and it still looks and runs like new. This is the car that gets me back and forth to work. I put oil in it and change the timing belt every 60k and it'll run forever.

But I know it's not always possible to have more than one car. If you can't then you really need to have a LOT of patience or be a really good mechanic.

I hope you get it worked out. Does the '82 still drive? You could just swap between Z's. Drive the one that's running that morning! I have a friend that does that with his collection of 60's caddies.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by turbot5
efficient injectors cost way more of 34 bucks each, good injectors last forever , my car still run with 24 year ol injectors...my point is look for the elusive european car mechanic..those with the symbols painted at front, BM, Volvo, etc, those guys will love to take a look at a datsun, they understand the Bosch system, like you said primitive but SIMPLE for the Right mechanic.. they will fix your car in no time for the price of a carb in the box.
FI is also know as EFI(efficent)..at 3 bucks a pop you don't really want to go "back"
Thats all good but if all my injectors are fine then I still have to deal with all the other little gremlins like bad connections and 28 year old wiring to a bunch of messed up sensors and electronic devices I am gonna **** a purple brick!! I am going to go out and mess with it some more and see if I can make it run a little better now that I have some daylight. I will only pay a mechanic if there is something I just can't do myself....I messed this up and I will fix it.

Does anyone have a good pic of the vacuum lines on a 1979? one of my lines from my charcoal canister is not connected to anything and I can't see where it went.

I just checked all my Injector connections (pulling one off at a time while car is running) #4 made no difference whatsoever, all the others made the engine labor slightly when disconnected. The injector is new...the connection is not. I am making a test light to see if it is firing, if not I will trace the wires all the way back and replace if necessary.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lww
That sucks dude. I definitely don't recommend these cars as your only means of transportation....
....I hope you get it worked out. Does the '82 still drive? You could just swap between Z's. Drive the one that's running that morning! I have a friend that does that with his collection of 60's caddies.

Unfortunately I have swapped many little parts from the '82, so no, not at this moment running

I am a little more calm today what with the daylight...I will track down the problem...though I think the car has been on 5 cyl's since I got it....and it made a trip to GA and back, so if this is the case then I don't hate the car as it is a strong little punk.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
sugah, you already know these cars are bitchier than cassidie...,.....take the time to go thru yer system thoroughly, and you will prolly find the problem....do not forget the fuel regulation part and the injectors themselves--were they subject to recall????? i know the z31 fi parts were--if it was and the work not done--GO FOR IT-----if otherwise, there is no quick fixit....good to hear from ya, drama king--make yer car go so ya can test it out for msa west..........i expect to see you there.............oh--do not forget the electrical part of the total mayhem.......pick a start point and keep going--try not to get distracted.......good luck, buddy............. i been there with 3 z31s--good thing someone else did the work!!!!!!!...........i feel ya, baby...............
Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Big Poppa

that goes to the dizzy, well there should bee a tee in the line it hooks to. you actually dont need the vac advance on these dizzys. i forget where mine goes. ill check and report back later. i re-routed all my lines cause i eliminated some stuff.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Ok so I pulled the #4 spark plug wire off the plug while it was running, again no change and that plug wire IS firing OUCH!!!! LOL so I think it is safe to say that the connector to the #4 injector is toast...right?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Big Poppa

well it could be the plug itself. try taking it out and testing it. otherwise, try just pulling the injector plug. doesnt hurt so much. and try all the rest too, just to make sure.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Taste My Rainbow

it could be a bad new injector i've had that happen before.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM

I did test all the other connections and they were fine...the injector came off my '82 and works fine....I did the plug wire after I tested the injector connections to make sure it wasn't a spark issue. The plugs are near new NGK's like the ones from my '82 but specifically for my '79.

I decided to invest in some things to help my problem...I bought a bunch of vacuum lines, 2 different sizes, T fittings, straight fittings and some vacuum block offs. I also bought some speaker connections to re wire the #4 injector connection, I did this on the '82 and it worked perfectly.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by thxone
Ya know, this car really sucks right now!!! Stupid FI system...Stupid vacuum lines, Stupid electrical crap all over the intake STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!! I just don't care anymore...I make money and I am gonna get the Arizona Z Car 4bbl Intake and be done with all this FI CRAP!!!!
Nothing fosters increased reliability like taking a system that was DESIGNED to work one way, and CHANGING it to work in another way...

DUDE.

Chill out.

Rod.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Well I am re-gaping my plugs to .040. Here you can see the difference in the plugs. The #4 is the one I am having problems with...it was wet and smelled of fuel, all others look as the #2 plug looks. What do you all think?

Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Talking Update!!

Re gapped the plugs, they were at .046...now at .040 Idle smoothed out but #4 plug was fouled....replaced and now the car pulls good, still some vacuum leaks but the car is now better than when I got it....I AM HAPPIER!!! Also, I think my FPR is toast. If I pull the vacuum line off the top of it the idle rises and when I put my finger on the vacuum line itself it come back down and idles rough....the same as when the vacuum line is connected....$44 part....sound like it is toast guys??

Did I mention I am happy again??
Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Zee Racer

you won't be happy until you ask cassidy to marry you.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Darrel
I know in my heart, that is the right thing to do. How will I live without her in my life, how will I go on in this world without her next to me................................................ .................................................. .........................................After she a sucks 27 dicks.....in a row.....then sleeps with my sister again....come on man....I got a 28 year old chick to **** me off now, my 1979 280ZX!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:11 PM

hey what you gonna do with the 82s shell when u done parting her out i need a better less rusty body 4 my Z
Old 04-01-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Thxone
Did I mention I am happy again??
Hey I'm glad you are happy! There is a good feeling when you beat a problem with a Z and it runs like it should!
You dont need that drama with a chick that is gonna cheat on you with 27 other sticks., (even though it does provide drama for the rest of us boring married Z owners.)

Originally Posted by Darrel
What is happy about seeing 27 other guys she has WENT DOWN ON, besides sleeping with his sister?

Originally Posted by thxone
sound like it is toast guys??.
He asks Cassidy to marry him and his life WILL be toast.

in fact it will be, like the shirt says: GAME OVER

Last edited by 3XAZOWNER; 04-01-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Wink dear drama king......

it is so much fun reading your posts, sweetie- -fuel infection is awesome as long as no one before you or you has/have ever run the damcar out of gas. girl things really hurt injectors . i do not know if that was done--prolly was---but you may need to check and at least clean well your entire fi system before the car will stop acting like cassidie.......we love you, ps--i LOVE that shirt^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by z-hag; 04-01-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:35 PM

install bigger cam. rough idle becomes accepted. drive around all day at correct operating range of 2500-6500rpm. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Not happy with my ZX