280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Overheating damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM

Overheating damage?

a friend drove my car earlier today and it overheated while they had it when they got back i could not get the thing to start. can i get a list of possible "small/easy" things to check before investing any serious cash??thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Taste My Rainbow

head gasket!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Über User

thats why you dont lend cars. you better make them pay for it. cause if you cant get it running after overheating, its usually not a fun reason why. when a car overheats everyone knows to turn it off. your friends are idiots. also if it got to hot could have started predet or just baked the engine and oil and maybe even internal crap like piston rings. but i like skittles idea better. go an compression test the cylinders.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
add semtex and detonator to friends oatmeal........
Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Ok, when you say it wouldn't start...would it crank and just not start, would it not crank at all (no noise) like you turn the key and nothing happens? Sometimes a starter will get heat soaked and make it a real pain to start a car, our cars are prone to vapor lock in the fuel line...one reason why we have the blower for the injectors and fuel line area, when a car is over heated the engine will continue to expand when turned off and get hotter before it cools back down due to lack of coolant flow, sometimes it is just fried in which case you need to beat the hell out of your friend or sleep with his chick...or something to show how mad you are. Can we get some more info as to what the car was or was not doing when you tried to start it?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Big Poppa

let it sit for a day, then try, also if the motor gets real hot it can kinda seize up, not really bad, but its not good, it is very possible that if your head gasket is weak, it woulda blown. do a compression check, and a leak down check. (youll see bubbles in the coolant, or hear a leak across cylinders)
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

Kill your friends... And learn your lesson. Do not let people borrow your car from now on.

Rod.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM

when i tried to start it, was like it wasnt getting any fire to the plugs, just turning over. checked plugs, had fire so ????
Old 03-04-2007, 12:12 AM
Über User

sooo... do the other things we said. check your compression. and whatever is broke your friends better pay for it.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 AM

update

well went to do a compression test but the noticed the "t joint" running off my heater core was leaking. i am going to get a new one in a few minutes, but funny thing was the car started??? had a lil bit of smoke but then idled out and ran fine for bout ten minutes...going to my parts car in few though so will give an update later
Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
The Evil Twin

good news.

You should get an old beater car like a Pulsar to lend out. Still make them pay for it if they mess it up though... but it would only be a Pulsar and not your precious Z
Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

^^ What he said. That's why I have a Honda.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Über User

thats why i just have no friends^^^^ errr i mean....
Old 03-05-2007, 02:03 PM

Damnit!!! replaced what i learned was the bypass valve and got everything squared away..now it wouldnt start??? pulled plugs and the were soaked...back to the drawing board
Old 03-05-2007, 02:03 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by antiman
pulled plugs and the were soaked...back to the drawing board
Soaked w/ coolant or fuel?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM

Unhappy

fuel, it got to dark to mess with tonight so back to it tomorrow....will start with new plugs, and go from there. like i said it ran good sat when i got it started and noticed antifreeze leaking out so i tuirned it off, not wanting to do more harm now it won't start
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Doesn't post much...

Probably got coolant on the CHTS or inside the plug for it when it was leaking...
Old 03-07-2007, 06:34 AM

when my car over heated my thermo froze. I lost All my coolant from the head gasket down the side of the block. you could see is gushing out. I let it sit for 20 mins. added water. and tried to crank. Batt was dead. But i let her roll down hill and dropped the clutch. she started right up. and drove home. head gasket sealed right back up. and i drove her for 1600 more miles before i put the new head on. she never leaked again before the new head.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:39 AM

for today: goit a new CHTS, distributor, AFM, going to install in a few plus as an added bonus found a new parts car and got the taillight that was busted, talking lady box and some chrome trim for the entire car. found a 82 zxt that the front end was caved in but other then that body is excellent wish me luck, oh one more thing just recentlly removed my tint that was becomming hazy any recommends on what type of tint to replace it with?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 AM

i need to remove my tint. I have not figured out the best way to do that.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by antiman
oh one more thing just recentlly removed my tint that was becomming hazy any recommends on what type of tint to replace it with?
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Get it installed by a pro... unless you want the haze & bubbles to come right back.

Originally Posted by FubarI33t
i need to remove my tint. I have not figured out the best way to do that.
Glass cleaner & a razor blade. As for the hatch window... well it's just a biotch to get the tint off of the defroster lines. If you can grab a corner & pull the whole sheet, that works best.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Taste My Rainbow

does the zxt still have the drive line in it? if so buy that sucker and swap it into your z.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. Get it installed by a pro... unless you want the haze & bubbles to come right back.

Glass cleaner & a razor blade. As for the hatch window... well it's just a biotch to get the tint off of the defroster lines. If you can grab a corner & pull the whole sheet, that works best.
Heat gun or hair dryer on high heat works well for getting tint off the rear.
As for applying the tint, I agree. Let the pros do it. It's very involved to do it and get it right with no bubbles.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Talking

jumping for joy right now!!!!! replaced the CHTS hooked up jumper cables and poof she is back in my garage now and getting ready for some serious going over, thx everyone for the help since that is my baby getting her ready for paint and will post pics as sone as she comes back (was supposed to be gone yesterday!!!) also the three z's i have have almost all parts on them, 79 280z, 81 280zx, 83 280zxt
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Taste My Rainbow

sweet we want pics of all of them.

Quick Reply: Overheating damage?