280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

performance parts questions (and a semi-pleasant suprise)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM

performance parts questions (and a semi-pleasant suprise)

So the motor in my 81 is somehow still running, although I don't know how. It's completely shot and I'm beyond any interest in fixing it. Instead I'm dropping in the engine from my other 81 that I crashed last August. It's been sitting outside for almost a year so I decided to crack it open and inspect it and at the same time redo all the gaskets and seals. I'm also deleting as much extra crap as I can while in there. Once I got it all apart I discovered brand new shiny valves, a new headgasket (which explains the perfect compression, even though I'm replacing it now anyways), and I can still see hone marks on the cylinder walls. Someone must have rebuilt it right before I got my hands on the car!
Now that I have it all apart I want to build it up a little. I don't have too too much money to spend, but it would be a damn sin to put it back together stock; realistically when am I ever gonna gave the engine out of the car and all apart again while still being able to use it as a DD? I definitely am getting a header because it's a bitch to change while it's in the car and it will go great with my exhaust. As far as the engine itself I'm thinking of bumping up the compression either with domed pistons or at least shaving the head, and a nice medium cam. My problems are that I am having problems finding performance parts anywhere. I can find OEM cams left and right but nothing for power. I found a header on eBay, and somewhere else I found one place with pistons but nothing special and for $60 a piece, so no thanks. I think I'll shave the head instead. Anyone know a good site that actually has good performance parts? Haven't been able to find anything yet. Also I was wondering if anyone knew of cheaper aftermarket head bolts rather than spending $101 at the stealership?
My two main questions I guess are: 1) Any suggestions on which cam to get and where can I find one? and 2) If I shave the head down does anyone know how far can I go? I worry a little about it because the flat top pistons come right up to the top of the deck and there's no notches for the valves so I'm guessing I can't go far at all. (it's an 81 N/A) Any info is greatly appreciated

Last edited by Switchtr3; 07-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Ruff Ryder

So you are taking a good rebuilt motor and trying to build what is already good for another 300k+ miles and rebuilding it again just so you can make another 30hp, instead of tearing apart the motor that is on it's way out and will need to be rebuilt in a couple thousand miles anyway? Ontop of all of this, do you plan on getting carbs, or a stand alone fuel management device? Searching in the ultimate tool (that and experience).
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

yes I plan to build this motor up a little because I would like to get a little more power without charging it. I never knew it was rebuilt until I left it outside for a year, often times in the weather, and decided to see what it looked like/ replace the seals. And yes I have thought about that aspect which is why I am leaning away from changing out the pistons so I don't have to rebuild it all over again, just doing the seals. I'm not building the one that's in my car now because I don't have the time or money to do this all twice as the car is my DD and i'm not rich. Plus this engine is so shot in every possible way that I feel it would cost way more than I'm willing to spend to even get it back to a good running condition. (that and I don't plan to have the car for another 300K). I'm going to keep it EFI, but I wasn't planning on doing anything too crazy so I figured I could get away with stock fuel system and maybe a slight ignition upgrade.
As usual I tried searching first and didn't find what I was looking for so I started a thread specifically about my own circumstances. And you're right, I am fairly inexperienced with nissan motors, always been an old chevy man myself (another reason I want to do it while it's out of the car so I can take my time and make sure I get it right, I figured a little good advice from experienced z guys couldn't hurt).
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Switchtr3
Anyone know a good site that actually has good performance parts? Haven't been able to find anything yet. Also I was wondering if anyone knew of cheaper aftermarket head bolts rather than spending $101 at the stealership?
My two main questions I guess are: 1) Any suggestions on which cam to get and where can I find one? and 2) If I shave the head down does anyone know how far can I go? I worry a little about it because the flat top pistons come right up to the top of the deck and there's no notches for the valves so I'm guessing I can't go far at all. (it's an 81 N/A) Any info is greatly appreciated
I won't mention "search" since Hoov did...

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/where-buy-parts-your-280zx-18264/

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/aftermarket-cams-cam-removal-installation-pics-19939/

Now that you've read ALL the info in those threads, you know WHERE to get performance parts, and WHAT your options are (which quite frankly, are limited by the $greens$ in your bank account).

In a nut shell:
-Shave head.
-Bore & use over sized pistons.
-Aftermarket fuel control.
-Larger injectors.
-Aftermarket ignition.
-Header & exhaust.
-Open up the intake.
-Mild or wild cam

yada yada yada ... all the stuff you'd do for ANY motor.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Big Poppa

to keep stock efi and intake you can make it fun to drive. instructions as follows:

get p79 head and shave .080" and get cam shims to match
cold air intake
header
2.5" exhaust
msd coil
done
no cam, no anythig else. i did this to a customers car. went pretty darn good, just a little slower than mine with a cam and tb. now add my ms 3.57 and its a diff. story.