280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

The Plan, now that funds are soon going to be available!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
i felld offa mai trike

ozdat engine design utility? hella old news lol

you don't HAVE to swap in a L28ET, just put the turbo parts on your stroker motor (which think is way unneccesary still)

There have been a couple guys who have supercharged their L motors... I think the easiest route would be a procharger sort of setup where you could mount the blower on the other side of the motor and run an intercooler.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 PM

Well first off, bucko, its not old news to me!

And yeah, that's the one. Reliable, yes?

Thanks for the pointing to the procharger, I'll give it a look see.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by PurePontiacKid
ozdat engine design utility? hella old news lol

you don't HAVE to swap in a L28ET, just put the turbo parts on your stroker motor (which think is way unneccesary still)

There have been a couple guys who have supercharged their L motors... I think the easiest route would be a procharger sort of setup where you could mount the blower on the other side of the motor and run an intercooler.
Stock turbo is about 7lbs of boost. A stroker is probably around a 10:1 compression ratio. What do you think is going to happen when you put a stock turbo and J-pipe into a 10:1 compresion ratio engine? Its going to cause detonation thus destroying the engine and a stroker build is about $5k to build properly. You can build a lot of turbo for $5K.

If you are serious about modifying your engine get the How to Modify your Nissan/Datsun L series and Corky Bell's some what dated but tons of good info Maximum Boost book. Read them cover to cover and search on the forums. There is a lot of information and you'll have to carefully plan to make sure your money is well spent.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
i felld offa mai trike

There are guys running stroker turbos, just went to Ozdat, a 1mm HG gives a 9.8:1 CR, a 2mm HG gives 8.9:1 CR, which is really good for keeping the bottom end, and with 7psi would be a real good driver.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

There are guys running stroker turbos, just went to Ozdat, a 1mm HG gives a 9.8:1 CR, a 2mm HG gives 8.9:1 CR, which is really good for keeping the bottom end, and with 7psi would be a real good driver.
Right but you have to build the stroker as a turbo build. You don't bolt on a turbo to a NA stroker build. And as most of the guys who did the stroker/turbo build will tell you they are usually disapointed in the extra money spent on the stroker portion of the build doesn't give them a lot of extra gain for their money.....
Old 08-18-2010, 10:39 AM
i felld offa mai trike

which is why I said "I still think it's way unecessary still" read the whole damn post.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm going one of two options.

NA, with a 10.5:1 or 11:1 CR
FI, with a 8:1 or 9:1.

For FI, I would first need to figure out whether it is possible to NOT pay 10s of thousands for the setup. If there's any way at all that I can supercharge it, it'll happen, if not, its staying NA. Like I said... I want to get so much info my brain explodes haha before I break into the engine at all. Which means, I'll need the suspension already upgraded, a LSD already in place, etc, before I start the build.

Plenty of time. I've been looking at supercharges and whatnot, but haven't been able to get all my questions answered. OR maybe they are and I haven't pieced them together yet.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

which is why I said "I still think it's way unecessary still" read the whole damn post.
Focus Potato Master. You said to bolt a turbo onto a high compresion engine.

"you don't HAVE to swap in a L28ET, just put the turbo parts on your stroker motor (which think is way unneccesary still)"

Then you suggested bolting on a supercharger on. Same problem - boosted high compresion engine.

"There have been a couple guys who have supercharged their L motors... I think the easiest route would be a procharger sort of setup where you could mount the blower on the other side of the motor and run an intercooler."

The fact remains the same - its a bad idea to boost high compression engine and the L series is particularly bad with the exhaust/intake on the same side, quench issues, etc, etc.

I guess there are two options. Admit its a bad idea or try and deflect and tell me to "read the whole damn post". Regardless it doesn't matter - its fairly common knowledge it's not doable (well not for long at least).
Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM
i felld offa mai trike

It's common sense that you don't put turbo **** on a high compression motor, so quit getting caught up on semantics, I shouldn't have to specify something as simple as that.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's common sense that you don't put turbo **** on a high compression motor, so quit getting caught up on semantics, I shouldn't have to specify something as simple as that.
...of course - no sense in getting technical in a technical forum