280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Please allow me to intoduce myself..

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up Please allow me to intoduce myself..

Hey Guys,
I have been floating around these forums for almost 3 years. I have made about 6 names and tried to contact nearly every administrator and webowners about allowing me to post..Fyi.this name wasnt my first thought..hahahah). Until now, my name(s) was never allowed to post. After a tip on another site about clearing cookies and making a bunch of names, it finally worked. Woot!
Anyways, I hope to make a good contribution to the forums.
With that being said:
1981 280zx Turbo

My father and I have been working on this car since summer 2000. These pics, minus the seats, were taken nearly 5 years ago. The engine bay is alot cleaner looking now. Not much aesthetically has been done to it other than that, other than interior. The interior was gutted and redone acouple years back, and '91 crx si seat swaps, done this Christmas. It has a 3" no cat, no muffler exhaust all though, not loud, just mean. Other than tokico springs and shocks its mostly stock..for now..

Anyways I have a few pics from the seat swap floating around, or if anyone is interested I can give directions on how it was done. Car is garaged, so during spring break all oil lines and brake lines will be replaced and this summer the task of new frame rails will be attempted.
Thanks guys!!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Nice.. and welcome back..

As far as your motor is it all stock??
Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Of course MY engine bay is cleaner now, along with a new oil rag. And also a new battery. So, where is the pic of YOUR engine bay ;-)

Are you sure it's an '81? The wheels are those of an 82-83 along with the bumpers. The '81 turbo had the snowflake wheels.

Nice looking car.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Maybe its an 82 made in 81 like mine. . . .
Old 02-01-2006, 01:07 PM

Darrel- I believe its an 81..I will have to look agian, but Ive always thought it was..
S/C- The motor is stock.
This car was bought off a junkyard, the guy who owned it passed away and we were lucky enough to be asking about a z when it was brought in. Crazy huh?
What he had done to it was unkown, although he had taken the power steering off it, already had the exhaust on and had what looked to be like plans for making it a dragster. Half the scribbling on the papers he left in the car was unreadable.
..hahaha..
We joke that a mad scientist had the car before us, he has ALOT of wires running all over under the dash and carpets etc when we restored the interior. Half of them we didnt even touch because we had no clue where they went and were not on any manual. Guy had hot wires running into the trunk. Wtf?!
The car came with two sets of the swastica wheels, and damage to rear.
Its probably no different than anyone elses cars, as most people I talk to have similar horror stories.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Darrel
Of course MY engine bay is cleaner now, along with a new oil rag. And also a new battery. So, where is the pic of YOUR engine bay ;-)
um... isn't this it?

Anyway... Welcome to ZDriver. Where you from?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered Zee Racer

Originally Posted by NismoPick
um... isn't this it?

Anyway... Welcome to ZDriver. Where you from?
That is a pic of an engine bay, but of my engine bay. Not ragging on him. I just thought I recognized it with the oil rag, aftermarket washer pump mounted on the firewall, same fuel pressure gauge wrapped around the hose, and the same dirty battery I had in my car when I took those pics. ;-) Not to mention my old color, beige.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Doesn't post much...

Please allow me to intoduce myself.. I'm a man of wealth and taste... (Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil). Welcome back to the group! Nice car. .................................................. ..............................................Rod.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Sweet ride bro', and welcome back to the forums. That Z definately has a lot of potential. Keep at it man, believe me it will be worth it in the end. I have struggled with my '82, I have been restoring. But it should be this weekend, I will have him running.

All aside, hope you stay, and enjoy this great website. Believe me you will learn a lot on here. I know I have, so keep us updated. And any kind of info, and or advice, tips, that you may need. We will try and help you out. Later for now.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Darrel
That is a pic of an engine bay, but of my engine bay. Not ragging on him. I just thought I recognized it with the oil rag, aftermarket washer pump mounted on the firewall, same fuel pressure gauge wrapped around the hose, and the same dirty battery I had in my car when I took those pics. ;-) Not to mention my old color, beige.

Ah... roger that.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
The Evil Twin

Nice '82 turbo!
Those seats are exactly what I have for my car! they are not installed yet. I was working on that when the tranny blew. Anyway, at the time I had figured out a plan to modify the stock 280ZX seat rails to bolt to the CRX seats. That way the seats would then bolt into the car with no mods done to the floor. Is that what you did? I would be interested in your info on that.

Mine are '91 CRX Si seats. (so I'm told)
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Bleach is my Hero

Originally Posted by Bleach
Mine are '91 CRX Si seats. (so I'm told)
WOW!!! Do those add 15 or 20 HP I forget.. You know honda every part adds HP
Old 02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by s/cL3.0
WOW!!! Do those add 15 or 20 HP I forget.. You know honda every part adds HP
Does that include the huge "APC" windshield sticker?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Big Poppa

Ive Been Meaning To Get A "got Rice" Sticker For My Car, Or A Powered By "soy Sauce" (nitrous To Others) Nice Car Purty
Old 02-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Please allow me to intoduce myself.. I'm a man of wealth and taste... (Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil).
LOL, That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the post subject!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Im glad to see you guys picked up on the stones lyric, I'm a big fan.
Thanks for the comments on the car guys.
As for the seats bleach, we could not get the z seat rails to fit on them. As you may see the rails are 1/3 of an inch (if I remember correctly) two small in width.The rail which allows the user to move the slider back and forth via the handle does not fit, because the handle part is too close to the bottom of the seat. We tried repeatedly to bang in that side repeatedly, but in the end it would require removing it, which would basically leave an empty spot in butt support.
So the stock crx seat rails were kept. Thus we had to figure out a way to move them 1/3 of an inch closer togeather. So brackets were made in the back to allow for the 2" gap on the inside of the seat (near the tunnel) and 1" on the outside (door). This can be seen here:

The distance between that bolt into the chair and the bolt in the floor is about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly. A piece of steel, cut and then drilled will connect these two.
As for the front it is a completely different story. After trying about a million different methods, we just opened the bolt down hole on the clossest rail an 1/3 of an inch bigger and just bolted it down.
Yes it was alittle jimmy rigged but, it works and no one can tell the difference..
I would say if you race your car or use it alot, this may not be the safest method, but for an occasionally driven car such as mine, these seats kick ***..

Sorry so long winded...labatt blue helped..
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Zee Racer

driver side engine bay of my car, similarities or exact? ;-)

passenger side.

;-)

In case the pics don't show up here is my pic gallery on hybridz. I f it won't let you veiw them you need to log in on the main forum page.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery...00&ppuser=8318

Last edited by Darrel; 02-01-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:19 AM

Hey that is the same engine bay The EXACT same engine bay. Maybe someone got their photoalbum mixed up when they were uploading their pics
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
Hey that is the same engine bay The EXACT same engine bay. Maybe someone got their photoalbum mixed up when they were uploading their pics
I guess that would be me. Im still trying to figure out how it made it into the pictures of my z. Darrel says he gave em out to some people but never posted em, I always thought it was mine...
Wierd.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Purty S130
Purty... how thick are those adapter plates? They kinda look like sheetmetal in the pic.... if so, that's bloody unsafe if ya get in a wreck.... seats would pop right out.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 AM
The Evil Twin

Originally Posted by NismoPick
that's bloody unsafe if ya get in a wreck....
wait....is that a pun?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Registered Zee Racer

Originally Posted by Purty S130
I guess that would be me. Im still trying to figure out how it made it into the pictures of my z. Darrel says he gave em out to some people but never posted em, I always thought it was mine...
Wierd.
No problem posting the pics. I just thought it was funny when the engine bay looked so familiar to me.

So the question is, where are the pics of YOUR engine bay. ;-)
Old 02-02-2006, 09:24 AM

I'm kinda interested in those seats meself.....
Old 02-02-2006, 09:38 AM
The Evil Twin

This is really the only style of 90's seats that I really like. I paid quite a bit for mine. They look much more modern than 1990-91 seats
...but still far less than 350Z or S2000 seats
Old 02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

I don't know, something about putting Honda seats in my Datsun. That kind of bugs me, and I feel would downgrade my Z. I think the stock highback seats look great. And are verry comfortable, good for my back, because I have a long spine. Though I will admit, those CRX seats do look pretty sweet by themselves.