280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

"Real" tech question... 280zxt guru's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 PM
The Good Twin

"Real" tech question... 280zxt guru's

So I think I've killed my fuel pump control module (raised the fuel pressure a lil too high) and now the fuel pump won't put out the right amount of pressure when running. It has a lower sound too, not the normal hum.

I hooked up a cordless drill battery to the fuel pump & it runs fine, so I'm pretty sure it's the module, or the fuel damper is shot.

The Q:

Has anyone bypassed the fuel pump module, & hardwired a new line in for the fuel pump? Results? Vamanos muchachos!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 PM

How did you raise the fuel pressure to high? If you dead headed your pump you could have damaged it, the pressure regulator and the fuel filter. If you suspect your fuel pump module is at fault, check to see what kind of voltage it's supplying to your pump. If you have less then 12 volts all of the time then that is possibly your problem.
It is possible to scrap the fuel pump module and just wire in a relay setup like the non turbos have. Thats what I ended up doing on my L28ET swap in my 280Z.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:34 PM
The Good Twin

It was leaning out above 5k rpm @ 12psi boost, so I installed an aftermarket FPR & pretty much closed off the return line. Needless to say, I flooded it & then the fuel pump wouldn't kick back on when I tried to start it. I pinpointed the prob to the fuel pump mod, & swapped it w/ a spare, that seems to not be working too well.

No probs w/ hardwiring your pump?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:14 AM

Well if you need a new one check this one on ebay! Fuel Pump
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by NismoZigma
Well if you need a new one check this one on ebay! Fuel Pump

LoL... I DON'T need one, but thanks! I've got a Walbro 255lph pump. It's not the pump that's the prob, it's the control module.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
It was leaning out above 5k rpm @ 12psi boost, so I installed an aftermarket FPR & pretty much closed off the return line. Needless to say, I flooded it & then the fuel pump wouldn't kick back on when I tried to start it. I pinpointed the prob to the fuel pump mod, & swapped it w/ a spare, that seems to not be working too well.

No probs w/ hardwiring your pump?
That's dead heading the pump! That will kill your pump!
Is the swapped fuel pump module doing the same as the old one?
I don't have any problems with running the fuel pump by the old relay method at all. My car had a similar problem of running lean above 5k, like it hit a brick wall. The more boost I got into the worse it got. I've got the Walbro pump on mine too and aftermarket FPR and still was running lean. I found a couple of problems with mine....rust in the fuel tank clogging things up and I found that I my injectors were being shut down at that rpm by the computer loosing connection. It was kinda like hitting a rev limiter every time I got to 5k. You should also remove your connector from your computer and check the pins on the connector and computer for corrosion. Clean them and put it back together. If you need another test fuel pump module, I think I've got a couple in my spare parts pile.
Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by zpeedracer25
That's dead heading the pump! That will kill your pump!
Is the swapped fuel pump module doing the same as the old one?
I don't have any problems with running the fuel pump by the old relay method at all. My car had a similar problem of running lean above 5k, like it hit a brick wall. The more boost I got into the worse it got. I've got the Walbro pump on mine too and aftermarket FPR and still was running lean. I found a couple of problems with mine....rust in the fuel tank clogging things up and I found that I my injectors were being shut down at that rpm by the computer loosing connection. It was kinda like hitting a rev limiter every time I got to 5k. You should also remove your connector from your computer and check the pins on the connector and computer for corrosion. Clean them and put it back together. If you need another test fuel pump module, I think I've got a couple in my spare parts pile.
Good luck.
Right on,

but the pump runs fine when I temp hardwire it in, & now runs @ 40psi. I haven't cruzed it around like that, but it's better than using the module.

My ECU is grounded good & I've put di-electric grease on all the connections (no corrosion either)

How much u want for one of those spare fuel pump modules???
Old 09-29-2005, 11:47 AM

Just hardwire it man...if it works like that, just do it! its not hard, I know you know how to do it permanently too.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:55 PM

I need to double check that the wife hasn't cleaned them out of my hiding place in the garage first. If I do, I would do $15 shipped.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by zpeedracer25
I need to double check that the wife hasn't cleaned them out of my hiding place in the garage first. If I do, I would do $15 shipped.

Hey homie, did u find that turbo fuel pump module?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Hey, just found two of them after a while of digging. I'll give you two for one deal on them