280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Results of my "diagnosis" by a Zguru

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:22 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Results of my "diagnosis" by a Zguru

Well as you see by the title, I got my diagnosis done Thursday. Here is what he told me to replace, and or do. When I need to go through emissions.

1) Retard the timing 6 degress or so.

2) Set your RPM to 1000, and then lean out your AFM, at 950. Then turn the idle screw out, as far as it goes. That will lean out your car, so it will burn cleaner.(That is if your AFM is good) Air Flow Meter

3) Replace or plug off the T.P.S. (throttle position sensor) It will cause the hydrocarbons to read higher if it is faulty.

4) Make sure of course that you have fairly new ignition parts. (plugs, wires, cap rotor etc...) Self explanatory of course, and it can cause all kinds of emission problems

5) Make sure the o2 sensor is good, and or new.

6) Make sure the cat convertor is working properly, it can cause Carbon Monoxide readings to be high.

7) Check to see if your fuel pressure is correct, than can cause problems also.

Okay anyway, this is a rough writeup of what to do, and or replace. You can figure it out.

Now when I went and took my Z to this Z expert. He told me my AFM was bad. So I am waiting for my newer one to get here from E-bay. And of course he told me this list of things to do for emissions. He did not gurantee I would pass, but it is a start. Mainly because my cat is hollowed out. He said to go through first and see what happens. This is after I do the things he told me to. It is possible I could get away with my gutted cat. Because my first test I had, the readings on the CO, was 2 points over. So there is a chance, if not he told me afterwards to spend the money, and replace the cat. Then if after I did everything, I should pass with no problem But like I said, there is still no promise of getting through. But it is all a process of elimination.

So there you have it, I know it is a little rough. But I am no expert on doing a writeup of what need to do, and what-nots. I just figured I would share with all of you, if there were people that were stumped on getting through smog. Feel free to post your thoughts, and or opinions on this subject.