280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Sensors #2 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Sensors #2 :(

Batt Is Charging .....

Last edited by Bleach; 09-26-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:51 AM
The Good Twin

"sensor" still spelled wrong....
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 AM
The Good Twin

ah... now it's spelled right. Thanks Bleach
Old 09-26-2005, 02:04 PM

I SPELL IT WITH A......... C .....

OK OK PUT THE BAT BACK IN AND PLUGED IN THE ECU D.R. AND REALY'S ....SHE FIRED RIGHT UP ........I DONT GET IT ......I DROVE TO MY GIRLS WORK TO GET SOME FOOD ... THE FOOD WAS GOOD ...WENT OUT SIDE AND IT WOULDNT START ...SO I PULED THE ECU AND TOOK MY FRONT CLIP OFF HAD MY ROOMATE COME DOWN AND PULL ME HOME ...GOT HERE PLUGED THE ECU BACK IN AND TURN THE KEY SHE FIRED RIGHT UP ....LET IT RUN FOR A BIT TURNED IT OFF AND IT STILL FIRED UP ....IAM GOING TO RUN OUT THERE RIGHT NOW AND CHECK IT.. ...I JUST CHECK IT AND NOW IT WONT START ............DAM IT ....

IAM GOING TO UNPLUG THE EUC FOR A BIT AND SEE IF RESTING IT WILL START HER UP AGAIN ...ITS A LOSE WIRE OR A BAD ECU ...I DONT KNOW WITCH

I DID SEE SOMETHING THAT IS COOL ...ON THE ECU THERE IS A LITTLE LITE ON THE BOTTOM THAT COMES ON WHEN I TURN THE KEY ...AS I CRAnK IT...it TURNS OFF AS THE CAR IS RUNNING IT STAYS OFF ..I GUESS ITS TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE ECU IS POWERING UP WHEN I TURN THE KEY ON....I THOUGHT THE LIGHT SHOULD STAY ON AFTER THE MOTOR IS DONE CRANKING BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE .....I CHECKED THE LITTLE AFTER THE CAR WAS RUNNING AND IT WAS OFF...IT MUST JUST BE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE ECU IS POWERING UP ...

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-26-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
The Good Twin

good to hear the food was good.

That green LED is a small diagostic tool... w/o the manual in front of me I can't tell ya exactly what the codes are... but thas what it is.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 PM

I Went Back Out And It Start Up And I Messed With It ....i Unpluged The Ecu And Pluged It Back In Checked The Conections Buy The Fuse Box wiggled and unpluged stuff And Then It Started.....i Turned It Off And On And It Started again ....i Would Like To Check The Codes With The Light On The Ecu How Do I Do That????..

It Seems Like Its Not Making A Connection Some Where Or The Ecu Keeps Messing Up ..i Dont Know Witch...

i just ran out and turn it over and it started fine ....i dont get it why will it start fine now when 20 mins ago all it would do is crank over and over ????dam it.. wireing computers problem bullshit

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-26-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:27 PM
The Evil Twin

ya, what all did you eat?

your car is an electrical nightmare...
Old 09-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Doesn't post much...

Sounds like Bleach is right... Electrical boogey men hiding under your hood.

Rod.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:51 PM

well i went out there it start idled for a min or two then died ... i messed with a few things mostly unpuging and replugging in connections... i turned the key and could see the tach move a bit but i would drop right away ... then it wouldnt start .....i got noid light it was 40 bucks ....so iam going to go out now and see if the injectors are fireing or not for sure right now ......well i put the noid light into # 6 injector then i turned the key it fire right up i could see the light worked ....dam it well when it does it again i will check #6 again at least i KNOW the noid light works
its funny now i want it to do it and it wont ..... dam car

its running like a top now.... took her down the street reved her up she did great ...
as soon as it wont start again i will use the noid light to see if the injectors
are fireing or not

there where two wires unplugged under the dash above the fuse box.. i think there the o2 sensor check light for the dash not sure though.. i plugged them in and nothing happened ..i think i unplugged this along time ago becuse the check light on the dash was on ....well now is not most likey becuase i replaced the o2 sensor ...
just an after thought .......still very

1/2 a turkey sand toasted and some fries

iam going to the movies i will be back at about 9:00pm my time..
think of somethings to check and i will check them as soon as it does this again...
its tibby power tonight

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-26-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:15 PM

Find and check that the ECU ground is GOOD.

Since you've got the noid light that's going to be your best diagnostic tool at this point. You'll have to wait til she doesn't fire again. Then hook up the noid and see if it's flashing. If it's not then you can start checking wire to the ECU. There aren't many that would cause all the injectors not to fire. And since you've tried two different ECU's with no luck then I think you can rule that out for now. On top of that ground there is also a tach signal wire that feeds to the ECU. It's a lone blue wire with it's own connector. It's seperate from the main bundle of wires. Make sure that's nice and snug and getting it's signal. There's also the Red wire from the EFI relay that power up the ECU. It also receives a signal from the ignition switch in the start position but I don't think that would be the problem as it shuts off when the car is also already started. My guess (if it's ECU related) is either the Red wire from the relay or the tach signal is not getting sent to the ECU. Either one would render the car inoperable. But before you spend another few hours chasing wires, just hook up a noid light next time it doesn't start to verify it's the ECU circuit. The fact that it seems to change everytime you mess with wire is kind of hinting at a bad connection somewhere.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 AM

will do J ...i didnt get out of the movie untell just a bit ago ...so in the moring it will have to be ...i will let you all know how it goes ......
Old 09-27-2005, 07:01 AM

Ok, here is a long shot, #1, EFI Relay, #2 connection wire to starter they do tend to fall off without notice & or short out, #3 Ground from the ECU & or common ground, my car is a 79 but did this same damned thing to me
Old 09-27-2005, 01:05 PM

and the noid light says ..........no flashy .....it started fine i drove it over to a friends house ....when i came out it wouldnt start so ..i checked it with the light and ....no FLASH ....
MY roomate wasnt home so i spent a hour messing with it and it still wouldnt start so i pushed it though town ...i stoped in a prking lot and unhook the ecu and then hooked it back up and it fired right over ....so when i got home i switched ecus to make sure that the other one still worked and it did ...but right after it fired up and ran it shut off again ...so i put in my 81 ecu and it fired right over then it died again ...it still wont start right now ......this is really pissing me off and it's getting very old ....i dont think it is my ecu ...i think something is makeing the ecu cut out ....

the noid light not flashing tells us the injectors are not fireing ..so that would make me think it is the ecu ...but switching them and haveing it do it to the other one tells us that it is something diff ......so what is it ???????????????
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM

where is the ecu grounded to ??????????i can see a thick black wirer that comes out of the ecu harrness but where does it ground at ....i dont think its the red wirer comeing from the relay becuse my ecu light comes on when i turn the key on everytime .....
Old 09-27-2005, 03:05 PM

i took it to a shop ....so much for me fixing it ...he said he is gioing to try to read the codes from the ecu ...if it doesnt give a code then he will try to track down the problem ....hopefully he does .......iam over it ............
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM

i hate not having my car in my eye sight i wish this guy would call ...when i left it with him it was running so pretty much have to wait untell it does it to see whats up
Old 09-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Doesn't post much...

I know ho you feel. Everytime I have to drop off my car at the body shop for days, sometimes weeks... I sketch like a tweaker on fresh buzz.

Rod.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM

He said that he couldnt figure it out ...i had to pay him $60 bucks ....he said it ran the whole time it was there and that mabe my ecu is falty .....he said itS running rich ......ya know **** dumb ***.... i should have not payed him he didNT do anything but **** my timeing UP ....what a ***....i had to reset my dissy and idle screw ...he had i set so low that i could here my valves ticking .....such a dumb *** ...
well tomarrow when it does it again i will be stuck some where pushing ......

IF MY ECU IS ****ed up then why would it shut off with the other ecu in there ..
j i checked all the wires....
but i really dont know what iam looking for .....
nothing seems lose or out of place
i even went to the gold car and looked though it wireing system to see if i could find something that would show me the way >>>>>>>>>>>no luck
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 PM

I doubt it's the ecu. But the way it will start and then just quit like that really sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Another possibility is your ignition switch is going south. The THICK wire coming from the ECU is the tach signal to the ECU. Give me a little time and I'll figure this out for you. I'll head out to my car first thing in the morning and find the ecu's ground. and I'll also do some tinkering myself and try to recreate your problem as well as digging into the wiring diagram. I'll let you know what I come up with. I'll start on the diagrams tonight and let you know if I come up with something to check. Hang in there, we'll get it.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 PM

i switched alt's in 52 min's ......i dont think it will fix my problem ...but i did it anyway ............
Old 09-27-2005, 10:33 PM

Ok I've got a couple of questions for ya black. How long has the car been doing this for? Has it been doing it since you've had it or did it start while it was in your possession? Did it start doing it after you performed some sort of procedure? And I mean anything. Even something so small as unplugging a wire connection. Just a little something to help me in the way of diagnosing this thing. And for the sake of elimination, try testing the green wire to the dropping resistor again next time it won't start. Verify that it wont start immediately before and after every test. Try wiggling certain connections to see if that has any affect on the problem. Obviously the ECU connector is playing a role in whether or not the car starts and or runs.
Retest the all the circuits on the EFI relay again. Verifying that it won't start immediately before and after each and every test as well. Once you've done all that let me know. That will eliminate some things for sure.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM

ok i have been doing all of that ...and yes this problem has been getting worse for a long time... i thought it was the starter beening gay at frist... only becuase the starter wouldnt kick it over but after i changed the starter i realised that in the moring sometimes it would shut off and then just crank over and over untell i let it sit ....
now it just wont start after i shut it off in the moring ...at least thats what it did today ...two days ago it wouldnt start at all...after i got it started today or more like 1:00pm
this afternoon it was fine the rest of the day .....ok i didnt have my cold start injector plugged in ...the guy today told me that the front temp sensor is more like a timer for the cold start injector.... as the car gets to warm temp that sensor tell the ecu to turn off the cold start injector ....is this true ....could becuase i have that injector unplugged when the car gets to warm the "thormotime" sensor tells the ecu to turn off the cold start injector ....instead the ecu turns all the injectors off ....well i dont know if this is true but its a thought running though my head .....i plugged that injector back in ....i had it unplugged becuase i thought it mite make me run less richer during warm up ....my friend said it mite help ...realy it makes no diff in the way the car runs during warm up ....

my volt gauge seems to run a little heavy ..i thought that changeing my alt would make it sit more on the 14 mark but it sits just above that ...its the same place it sat with the other alt ......i have a small walmart battery... when i had a bigger battery in there it sat more on the 14 mark ..i dont think this is a cuase of the problem just stuff i have been trying to figure out ....

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-27-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 PM

I've run without the thermotime switch (the sensor you're talking about) and the cold start connected and had no problem. I lived in SoCal so I didn't really have the extreme cold to worry about to the point it was hard for the car to start though. I did this because I had a leaking CSV and it was squirting fuel, so I opted to disconnect those connectors until I could get a replacement CSV. So that definitely shouldn't be the problem with the car shutting off. It's only designed to help the mixture during cold weather operation (until the engine warms up or drops below a certain temperature). So unless it's pretty freaking cold over there it won't mess up the warm up process much. Impressive timing on the alternator. That things a pain in the *** with all those damn wires. As soon as can find a one wire replacement I'm all over that. I might just crack a stocker open and try to rebuild it and the wiring harness to work off of a one wire setup. Much cleaner too.

I'm still working on it man. It's a PITA when I can't actually be there. But I've NEVER come across a problem I couldn't eventually figure out. Even if took me a while to do so
Old 09-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Oh and somebody tell Fubar to get that damn chat working right!!! I know we all said it was a stupid idea but, guess what? It's not such a lame idea after all. And this is the perfect situation for something like that. Fubar, you should revamp your chat idea. Instead of a general chat area, it should be designated for instances like this where it's NEEDED to relay information real time. So get to it man And if it DOES work then can you please tell us nice folks how. Neither me or black could get it to work the other night. Help us out man. We need it for times like this. Oh, and I'm sorry for saying your cchat room was a bad idea. It's not, it's genious( if you can get it to work). And i mean that bro
Old 09-27-2005, 11:46 PM

its cool J iam glad for your help ....i was shocked i looked at the clock it said 9:02pm went out and started.... i came back in to wash my hands the clock said 9:52pm ...i was like that was fast ...i washed up lite a smoke turned the key and she fired right up ...i had that alt sitting here from when i went to the pick and pull ...
this way i will clean up my old one and always have a extra one
i dont care how long it takes.... were on the case iam reading the hayness mal........ i just havnt found anything good ....under the ecu it says "that if you use the noid light and it doesn't flash then the ecu is faulty and needs to be replaced"

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-27-2005 at 11:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Sensors #2 :(