280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

She's back

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

She's back

Thats right, my 280 that i sold is now coming home once again. The kid i sold it to yanked the L28ET out and stuck it in his S30. So the ZX sat since then. Thankfully i remembered to ask him to contact me should he ever decide to get rid of it. Sure enough i recieved an email and it never even crossed my mind to think about it. Just asked him "how much, whats left and when can i pick it up?".
As of now i just have to arrange the logistics of getting the Z back to the parentals house in my absence. Still in China. But soon i will return and the Z is going to get some MAJOR love. And now its not a daily driver so i can do it right and take the car to the level that i wasnt able to last time around. Looking forward to this build BIG time. Shes in shambles right now, but a perfect state to start from scratch. . .

Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 PM

ahh mahh gawwwd
i remember this thing haha
glad you got her back man grats
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Dunkin' Donutz

Skully, Love your Avatar...just noticed this. Best Canadian hooters bouncing.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:20 AM
The Good Twin

Yeah thug! Welcome back to the Z-dom!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
The Evil Twin

He got your cool gauges! I need to install my set of those. NLA

What will you do this time? L28 or RB? ...or are you going hybrid electric in preparation for $6/gal gas?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Actually Bleach. . . .wade has them. I gave them to him before i sold the Z. Ended up just going with a stock set of gauges and some red bulbs. BMW style.
I think he used them in the 24hr Lemons car. Not sure though. And they kinda suck. I used a potentiometer with them and they were still too bright and in your face. Plus after a couple months the cheap plastic bubbled.

As for the engine, i really dont know. Maybe another L28ET. Maybe RB. Maybe VG. I know for sure the motor is not as important as FINISHING THE BODY. It was so cherry originally but when i had done the first round of paint i had just got the car and was not familiar with the datsun scene in the slightest so it was a stock resto. In a retarded bright red "here i am piggy" color no less. Bad choice. So now the car will get a finished look and some sort of motor to put a smile on my face once again. Although she has already done a damn good job of that just coming back home. . .
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

holy crap!!!! you got her back!!! but looks like you got a lot of work on your hands.... but congrats on getting her back Apollo... let me know if your gonna need some help.....
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Big Poppa

congrats apollo, and wow some old timers commented. original zdriver style. i wanna see that car done asap and with the sickest of style.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Oh it will get done ASAP, i can guaran-damn-tee it.

Dude, Issac. . . I will definitely need your artistic help on this one. We are gunna go to town. When i get back we'll have a session and talk about some ideas. I should be home in a few weeks. Im sooooOOOOoooo ready to get the **** out of China.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Big Poppa

dude you need any interior parts lemme know. i dont know where yours went, but i can help out. and wheres the orig wheels you had go?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Ok, why did he pull the interior? I would just get it all recovered in a nice carpet.

Anyway, once I get the LeMons car out of the garage, you can bring yours over and use the lift when you need too.

What's up with the trip to China?

Welcome back!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Über User

neat-o! i need some Z luck to now
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Dunno what the kid was doing tearing the interior apart. Does not matter though. I have plans for it. Thanks for the offer Shady, i might hit you up.

I got the original black/red shelby's. But those are going on the B210. Im thinking flare it out, drop it, stuff the stock KA and 5spd from the 240 in there and call it day. Keep it simple and just get it running. No paint, no interior. . just KA and drive.

While im out here, im going to get wheels made. Its super cheap for a set of 18" alloys to be made with a 0+ offset in a datsun bolt pattern. Just have to choose from their selection of wheel designs. Which are not the best but the Panasport knockoffs they have will do the job i think.

This trip to China was just to get away, gain some much needed perspective, get the ball rolling on a new business venture with my brother and see some of this side of the world. Ive seen it, breathed it and lived it for a while now and i can tell you i really appreciate what we, as Americans, have and im ready to get back to the good ol US of A. Should be back in week or 2 give or take a few days. Enough bout that though. . .
Old 06-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

theres a guy out here in union city thats parting out his 1980 280ZX AE... the body is pretty good... let me know if theres anything you need from it.. im bout to swoop on his tail lights...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by apollo
While im out here, im going to get wheels made. Its super cheap for a set of 18" alloys to be made with a 0+ offset in a datsun bolt pattern. Just have to choose from their selection of wheel designs. Which are not the best but the Panasport knockoffs they have will do the job i think.
Ummm... tasty!

I got the original black/red shelby's. But those are going on the B210. Im thinking flare it out, drop it, stuff the stock KA and 5spd from the 240 in there and call it day. Keep it simple and just get it running. No paint, no interior. . just KA and drive.
If the wheels/tires will fit, don't even bother to flare it. Just get it running and be done with it already! Only a fool would have half a dozen projects going all at the same time!

This trip to China was just to get away, gain some much needed perspective, get the ball rolling on a new business venture with my brother and see some of this side of the world. Ive seen it, breathed it and lived it for a while now and i can tell you i really appreciate what we, as Americans, have and im ready to get back to the good ol US of A. Should be back in week or 2 give or take a few days. Enough bout that though. . .
Sounds awfully Zen... It's amazing how being around people that literally sleep on a dirt floor in a 3 sided tin shack every night can give you some perspective... Especially when you experience how hard so many of them work just to make a tolerable life for themselves and their families. You will have a different perspective on the guys sitting at the stop sign looking for free handouts...

Hope you're getting out of your trek what you need. I certainly did when I made my journey there.

Last edited by lww; 06-16-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow man...congrats on getting your Z back. I am psyched for you bro'. Just take your time on it. And you will have a beautiful and cherry Z. That will turn alot of heads. Once again...glad to hear you got it back. Good luck on your restoration. And keep us updated man. Rock on!!
Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

I would say yea, grab me some interior stuff, but i havent seen my Z in person yet. I dont know what it needs. Thanks though Issac

Originally Posted by lww
If the wheels/tires will fit, don't even bother to flare it. Just get it running and be done with it already! Only a fool would have half a dozen projects going all at the same time!
This coming from the guy with a shopping list of cars under the knife at all times for the past 20 years of his life. . . . I only got the Charger, the Z and the b210. 3 Projects. And only one is actually in progress and just about finished, mechanically speaking.

As for the Shleby's-Fronts fit, rears fit but need the fenders rolled big time or i gotta put some flares on it. So why not just slap some ZG flares on it?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

Back In the good ol US of A!!!! Falk yes. . First thing i noticed? The air smells hella good here in Cali. The sky is clear and blue and the traffic is controlled, well driven and orderly. Good to be home
Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Welcome home man. Glad you are back.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Externally Wastegated

That's awesome dude. Welcome to the world of Z cars again!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:46 PM

Looks like it has a long way to go...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

So with the momentum gained in the Charger project its now time to dive in to the world of Z's once more. Droppin the hammer, getting her done and making it the car it deserves to be. First things first . .the body and paint.
After this week the work will commence. Shes a little worse for wear but a blank canvas perfect for starting the next phase.

As she sat this afternoon. . .

Name:  DSC03651.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  DSC03652.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  DSC03653.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  DSC03654.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  DSC03655.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  DSC03656.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  193.8 KB

Name:  DSC03657.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  126.3 KB

Last edited by apollo; 10-25-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Big Poppa

why did he have to rip out all the wiring like that. kinda sucks to see all the original hard work gone, but the second time round it can be better. looking fwd to seeing this go somewhere.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 PM

What has been done to the rear body panel? My turbo has a lot of rust on the rear body panel. I am going to try to cut and patch, but if that doesn't work I might consider that.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Pro Pumpkin Carver

The car is in shambles. It was really hard to come to terms with what state it was in but i see so much potential now. I pretty much only care about the rolling chassis. The old harness i setup is all cut and mangled so i will start with a complete stock harness for the body only. The future powerplant, whatever it may be, will have its own harness made.

I made the tail light panel a lonnnngggg time ago. Just removed the stock set, fabbed plates and molded them in. They sit recessed and to me resemble the "rad racer" look i loved during my youth

Name:  5-12-05003.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  5-12-05005.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  5-12-05007.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  5-12-05008.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  82.8 KB