280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

So I powdercoated the Z..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM

So I powdercoated the Z..

Finally got just a tiny bit of snow where I live here in California.. it's been quite the dry winter.

As for an update, it looks like my Z might finally be hitting the streets! Got a letter back from the previous previous owner giving me a bill of sale from him to the guy I bought it from. Registration can be a pain in the *** if the guy who sells you the car never legally owned it. Now I just have to hope the DMV will accept all my paperwork.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM

such a misleading topic lol
Name:  IMG_1395.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  123.5 KB
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM
The Good Twin

Silly Z Drivers... Z's don't belong in the snow!

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
Registration can be a pain in the *** if the guy who sells you the car never legally owned it. Now I just have to hope the DMV will accept all my paperwork.
Is a bill of sale required in addition to the signed title?

I do this all the time with cars I fix and flip. I never legally own them, I just have the prev owner sign the title, and when I sell it, the title is ready to go to the DMV. In Utah, the back of the title with the signatures IS the bill of sale.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

Same in Nevada Nismo!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

here in Texas you need both unfortunately
Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Indeed, Texas asks for it, but you can get away with claiming it as a gift or writing a bill of sale with a price of 1 dollar so the state charges less. That's what I hear at least.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

Originally Posted by feifongwong3
Indeed, Texas asks for it, but you can get away with claiming it as a gift or writing a bill of sale with a price of 1 dollar so the state charges less. That's what I hear at least.
Unfortunately now the only way you can claim it as a gift if it's from an immediate family member...and if you write a bill of sale for $1 they now have a minimum set tax they can hit you with that may actually be more
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Can't win them all. At least I can still have my RB20DET swapped in my 83 no prob, unlike them Cali guys. 14.50 safety inspection ftw.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
GTR
Badass Z Chick

Originally Posted by feifongwong3
Can't win them all. At least I can still have my RB20DET swapped in my 83 no prob, unlike them Cali guys. 14.50 safety inspection ftw.
At least here in Corpus Christi...and yeah...most inspectors here don't even check to see if you have an exhaust system...as long as it drives in, lights work, and it stops...then it's safe
Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Yeah, almost makes a tear come to my eye. Oh, yeah almost forgot, they check the horn. Have to be able to lean on it in anger, safety first.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Silly Z Drivers... Z's don't belong in the snow!

Is a bill of sale required in addition to the signed title?

I do this all the time with cars I fix and flip. I never legally own them, I just have the prev owner sign the title, and when I sell it, the title is ready to go to the DMV. In Utah, the back of the title with the signatures IS the bill of sale.
Yes at least according to the lady at the DMV I went to.. even better I have to apply for a missing title because that's gone. Hopefully I'll get her out on the road soon enough, I'm currently rushing to complete my Eagle Binder (scouts) and turn it in before my 18th birthday at the end of the month. After that's done I'll have a lot more free time!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
The Good Twin

So you never got a title for the car when you bought it?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM

So you never got a title for the car when you bought it?
Well I got a a title transfer and application for a replacement title paperwork. But of course the guy who sold it to me never technically owned it, so I had to get a copy of the bill of sale from previous owner to the guy who I bought it from.

This is the first car I've ever attempted buying and I've learned from my mistake haha
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Planning on pulling my diff tomorrow afternoon. I've pulled the one on my truck before so I don't forsee any problems. Any special pointers or maybe a guide for these cars?
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
The Good Twin

Use an impact gun with a box wrench on top for the 4 long bolts that holds the nose to the cross member. The rest is cake... just time consuming.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM

Use an impact gun with a box wrench on top for the 4 long bolts that holds the nose to the cross member. The rest is cake... just time consuming.
Luckily I didn't even need to do that! They were pretty easy to get out once you broke em loose. Took a us about an hour and a half but my buddy and I got the diff out! lots of play in it so we'll see what it looks like when I take it apart. Feels good though

Oh, and I fixed that mystery fuel leak too! Starts up like a champ.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Bad news.. turns out I didn't fix whatever is causing my car to lose fuel pressure. I don't see any leaks in the spot I just replaced lines and where the leak was before.

Can anyone think of any reason why my car loses fuel pressure? I runs fine once I cycle the pump for a while.

I have already replaced the FPR and I hope the one I bought wasn't faulty also though I kinda doubt that.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 AM
The Good Twin

How fast does it lose pressure? 1min? 5min? Overnight?

Leaking injector? Have you pulled the spark plugs after the pressure has dropped, but before starting it, to see if the injectors are leaking?

Have you tried pinching off the return line after the FPR to see if it holds?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM

How fast does it lose pressure? 1min? 5min? Overnight?

Leaking injector? Have you pulled the spark plugs after the pressure has dropped, but before starting it, to see if the injectors are leaking?

Have you tried pinching off the return line after the FPR to see if it holds?
It's more of an overnight thing. I'll be sure to check the spark plugs and I'll check the FPR too.

Someone mentioned to me it could be the fuel pump valves(?) releasing the pressure, or the small filter back by the fuel pump also.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Looks like Saturday or Sunday will be the only days I can work on my car and hopefully I'll get some news about my diff tomorrow..

When I removed the axles, on one side the end of the stub side popped off (a spring and the bearings inside and a little gasket). Do I need to worry about this? The gasket isn't very flat so I wasn't sure if I should replace it or just stick it back on there.

Is there any other maintenance or things I should check while it's off?

Also one of the CB boots is torn a bit, I assume it's probably a good idea to replace that.

Edit: Oh and I am borrowing a fuel pressure gauge from a friend of mine so maybe I'll find out what's up with my fuel system this weekend also!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ThaPimpShrimp
Looks like Saturday or Sunday will be the only days I can work on my car and hopefully I'll get some news about my diff tomorrow..

When I removed the axles, on one side the end of the stub side popped off (a spring and the bearings inside and a little gasket). Do I need to worry about this? The gasket isn't very flat so I wasn't sure if I should replace it or just stick it back on there.

Is there any other maintenance or things I should check while it's off?

Also one of the CB boots is torn a bit, I assume it's probably a good idea to replace that.

Edit: Oh and I am borrowing a fuel pressure gauge from a friend of mine so maybe I'll find out what's up with my fuel system this weekend also!
So along with those questions, I now have more! We hooked up the fuel pressure gauge and I found out that the leak is much more sudden than I said before. When cycling the pump it read 36psi, when running it read 30psi, then after it was shut off the pressure dropped steadily to about 8psi in just a couple minutes. Also, it's not the fuel injectors.

I figure with a pressure loss that steep we'd see fuel leaking out right? Well as far as I can far as I can tell there is none. That leads me to think that it could be the fuel pump valves(?) that I asked about before. Also this time when I was cycling the pump, a few times the fuel pump would just stay on indefinitely until I turned the key off.

Any ideas and/or pointers?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You can get a brand spanking new Walbro 255 for about $110....
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
You can get a brand spanking new Walbro 255 for about $110....
Soo... your suggestion is go for a fuel pump?

I hope this is the actual culprit.. I'm running out of funding for this car and the further I get into it the more things there are to fix.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

No I'm just saying if you figure out that the fuel pump is the issue it's cheaper to get a new performance pump than to replace the stock one...
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
No I'm just saying if you figure out that the fuel pump is the issue it's cheaper to get a new performance pump than to replace the stock one...
Alright I gotcha. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: So I powdercoated the Z..