280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

So I should really start a build/restoration thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

So I should really start a build/restoration thread...

And not have all my posts so separated.

Anyways, I have some good news. Finally after hours of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my car, I finally found the problem.

FLYWHEEL = DEAD WITH NO TEETH

So uh, yeah. It's time for fixing, have my service manuals so I assume I'll be okay, labors gonna be a bitch I guess but oh well after that my car should be up and ready. Even though I'd rather have my car light, I figure that with a 140 hp car I'm not really gonna be going really fast and trying to be the fastest car at the track (for now) so I might as well fix the A/C in it since I live in FL. So I guess after I put my new flywheel in I'll try to put in the A/C.

I'd rather not buy a new flywheel since it'll probably end up being expensive and not in stock at the local car places, does anyone know if I can use the z31 flywheel? I pretty much figure that I can't but theres no harm in asking and it'll probably be cheaper and a lot easier to find since all the s130s have been crushed in my area.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Über User

dude, if you only want a stock S130 flywheel they are CHEAP! and im sure you might even be able to change it yourself if you got a clutch alignment tool and a torque wrench. i think..... THINK.... i might have a spare flywheel sitting around. if your interested and want to take the cheapest route out. but i would find something new they are like 130 new or something on like ebay for an oem replacement
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

I don't have any of those tools, and I'm short on cash so screw the mechanic.

I'll get my hands on some, thanks for the advice bro but I checked ebay and I can't get it since it's like 230+ dollars. I've checked the websites listed on this site but theres a lot of them who don't even have their online catalogs working...

Guess I'll have to depend on http://www.car-part.com and get an old one. Unless you guys wanna sell me one or if theres a site with them for sale for a reasonable price.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Über User

like i said, i got one off mine sitting around but its used soooo, its just a cheap alternative. nothing wrong with it though. i might need a new trans though
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

if u get a used flywheel i highly recommend u go get it resurfaced at a shop. kinda cheap insurance.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Alright, so I was sitting around today wondering if maybe it's not just the flywheel or maybe not even the flywheel at all. I mean I might as well be sure since it's an expensive part and the labor's gonna be abitch to do since I've never done it before. With my n00b knowledge + service manual I had determined that it was the flywheel but today I was going to at least fix my tail light bulbs (they're in the wrong place so my brake light starts blinking when I signal) I also decided to play with my wipers. Turns out my wipers don't work anymore. So I decided I'd at least listen to some sweet tunes, and I got the same result. I replaced all the fuses about a week ago, so I doubt it's that.

Any ideas?

I guess I'll be reading the manual all night since I'm off tomorrow.

I need this running asap since I was going to make it my daily driver so I''m already paying insurance and have only driven it about 4 times.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

check your fuses again as well as links. as for the flywheel take off you starter and look at the flywheel. u wont be able to see the whole flywheel at least u can see if some of the teeth are their. make sure u have some voltage in the battery as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

I have like 3 brand new batteries, I'm starting to think it's links. Fuses are brand new, last time I touched the flywheel I'll take it off tomorrow morning to verify. Thanks for the input. I hate beign such an idiot when it comes to these things.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

have to start somewhere.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
dude, if you only want a stock S130 flywheel they are CHEAP! and im sure you might even be able to change it yourself if you got a clutch alignment tool and a torque wrench.
Don't most clutch kits no days come with alignment tools for your car? i knowthe last 3 clutches i did all had the tool included in the sealed up kit........ just a thought and if you don't need a new clutch i could send u my alignment too if you end up needin it....

Last edited by flightforlife07; 07-19-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
I hate beign such an idiot when it comes to these things.
you don't get to be a good mechanic by sitting around watching tv.. you gotta get off the couch and learn the hard way trial and error.. trust me i've had lots of error the first motor i built alone never done it before busted out the manual and read away bent a valve or 2 and snapped one off and thats the biggest problem i've had so far i think other than stupid wiring stuff! its fun to learn jsut gotta have the will and what not to do it
Old 07-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Yeah, so I got my hands dirty and still nothing. My dad's friend who used to own a 240z said he'd love to help me so he's gonna help out on Saturday.

On a sidenote, I was calculating the costs of an L28et swap vs an RB20det and yeah. Money piles up.

11110-20P00 RB20DET Oil Pan $141.83
15050-20P03 RB20DET Oil Pickup $27.48
15059-V5001 RB20DET Oil Pickup O-Ring $1.71
Autometer 2 5/8" Boost Gauge $72.50

RB20DET $1,325.00

Complete Engine 5 Speed Transmission
Engine un cut Wirring Harness ECU (Computer)
Turbo Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold Alternator
Cam Angle sensor Starter
AC Compressor Power Steering Pump
Clutch Kit Fly Wheel
Fuel Rail Throttle Body
Igniter Chip All Brackets and Sensors

Grand Total: $1568.52

And thats not including the new exhaust and a bunch of other goodies that I still need to calculate. Boost Gauge is awesome though, take out the clock and move over the other stuff so it's closer to the steering wheel and yay instant pwnage.

But yeah, gonna keep looking for an L28et or just give up on that and build an NA.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

congrats on the decision. check ebay and local list you can find turbo parts for pretty cheap.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i know someone who is selling a turbo s130 2+2.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

I finally found a turbo 280zx at a junkyard about 40 mins from my house, engine is in horrible condition. The good news is I can now cannibalize off of it and get parts for my interior and I'm going to be cutting the rear quarter panel off of it as well as taking the Turbo hood. (My hood has a huge rust/dent from a crash)

Funny thing though, my car's gonna look like a fake turbo.

:/ lulz.

Also it looks pretty cool, since I already had silver and black seats. My interior was originally black and I was missing the rear carpet and it's silver so it looks pretty badass.

I'll take pics once I get the carpet clean and new looking.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Fixed the problem thanks to help from a friend who also pretty much taught me how to rewire EVERYTHING. Very informative. Also, changed ignition relay (that was the problem) and while it should be running it turns out someone swapped in an older flywheel or something so I had to go change the starter for the one from the S30 which is going on tomorrow and it should run again. (only a few teeth of the flywheel are gone so most of the time it'll start if I get the other starter, all I'll have to do is move it until it has contact with the teeth) Also tightened clutch.

And oh yeah, best of all...

I got a Z emblem for my steering wheel!

**** YEAH!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Today a new ignition coil was put in, hopefully the car will be on the road soon.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Über User

hmmm, ive used both an S30 and S130 starter and tranny interchangeably, never had a problem. never changed teh flywheel though.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
hmmm, ive used both an S30 and S130 starter and tranny interchangeably, never had a problem. never changed teh flywheel though.
People who owned my car before switched flywheels and transmission.

So pretty much I'm running a 280z flywheel, starter and transmission. Doesn't really bother me. Car till doesn't work, theres something wrong with wiring. It should be on the road though, it actually started kinda cranking today.

However, gonna have to get a few things since my fuel and stuff is held up with ducktape (wtf?) so yeah.

Also interior is almost done, I'd take before and after pics but my car's a mess right now due to wiring and whatnot so I'll wait a little bit before I show off the pics.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

New update: Had to pay insurance and the car still isn't running.

Couldn't cancel it or it'd be worse when it got reinsured.

Horn's working now though...So that's progress, kinda.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Alright, so I was able to get lower payments since I wasn't using the car. And I'm still saving up for that RB20 swap, but now I'm thinking that I could use that money for better things. I mean I got the swap down to about 1300 dollars, even cheaper then before. But I figure my car is almost fixed and I should be worrying about suspension more than I should be about an engine swap.

I told you guys I had finally found a turbo 280zx at my junkyard, even though the engine is to messed up to swap I was thinking that maybe I could switch some stuff over like the AFM and so on and get better performance.

Opinions?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

And I'm still saving up for that RB20 swap
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by entropy31
I said I'd keep my L28 now instead or upgrade to an RB25

But seriously, I heard the turbos had a better oil pan so I was thinking about taking that and the AFM, maybe even the manifold...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
The Good Twin

I told you guys I had finally found a turbo 280zx at my junkyard, even though the engine is to messed up to swap I was thinking that maybe I could switch some stuff over like the AFM and so on and get better performance.

Opinions?
You could rebuild that L28ET and have plenty of power for a lot less than $1300. Also A LOT hassle than any RB swap.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Poor kid, no ruler

Originally Posted by NismoPick
You could rebuild that L28ET and have plenty of power for a lot less than $1300. Also A LOT hassle than any RB swap.
That L28et is beyond repair, though it still has some good parts on it.

I might as well just wap the turbo parts and get a new turbo

Quick Reply: So I should really start a build/restoration thread...