280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

solve this problem or im gonna give up on my Z...*tear*

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:28 AM
The Good Twin

Any updates on the ride Gabriel ?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:11 PM

alright, i did everything that i could on my own with the tools i have to try an fix it, problem still persists although its running enough where i can idle it now...kinda odd, infact i can kinda drive it at 10 mph now...but still rough, towed it to this Zworld place and dropped it off today, ill find out for sure this time, ill let you all know what the exact problem is, im still swearing that it is the catalytic converter...we'll see.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM

GOT AN UPDATE, CAR IS FIXED!

found out the problem! in the begining when i was having the problems, that was when my injectors were going bad, when i replaced all of the injectors, i replaced them with the upgraded injectors, which dump out more fuel, so that threw the fuel/air ratio off, so he bolted back up the converter i almost destroyed, and fixed the fuel/air ratio and charged me about 130 for the labor, which to me aint a bad price to get the stress off of me, thank you all for the input, it will help me in future problems i encounter.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
The Good Twin

Right on... 99.9% of the time it's not the cat causin the prob.

What size injectors are you runnin?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Right on... 99.9% of the time it's not the cat causin the prob.

What size injectors are you runnin?
you know....im really not even sure, i did a big nono and bought the cheapest injectors i could find for 45 bucks each, but the problem is now, that they dont push enough gas...so i cant slam the gas down or it will bog, and and cant accellerate at all, its slow at a stop, and while im on the freeway, i cant hit the throttle cuz it just maintains speed and starts to bog, i know its just cuz the injectors are cheap, they are all i could afford, im just gonna buy a good injector every paycheck, or maybe two, so by six weeks ill have enough injectors...paid every other week...so, ill try that. is there any way to fix the fuel pressure so it has better acceleration and doesnt bog when i hit the throttle???
Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by gabrielzzz
you know....im really not even sure, i did a big nono and bought the cheapest injectors i could find for 45 bucks each, but the problem is now, that they dont push enough gas...so i cant slam the gas down or it will bog, and and cant accellerate at all, its slow at a stop, and while im on the freeway, i cant hit the throttle cuz it just maintains speed and starts to bog, i know its just cuz the injectors are cheap, they are all i could afford, im just gonna buy a good injector every paycheck, or maybe two, so by six weeks ill have enough injectors...paid every other week...so, ill try that. is there any way to fix the fuel pressure so it has better acceleration and doesnt bog when i hit the throttle???
Where'd you buy the injectors & what are they supposed to go on?

You can adjust the fuel pressure by getting an "adjustable fuel pressure regulator." There's tons on ebay, but do stay away from the cheap ones. For turbocharged cars, a "rising rate fpr" works best, as it matches the fuel pressure (above the set pressure) by the boost pressure (i.e. 1:1 ratio would mean @ 35psi fuel, it would increase by 1lb for every lb of boost).

MSA has a good RR FPR, but they aint cheap!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 AM

your gonna laugh when i say this, i bought them at autozone, and they belong to a 280zxt, but they are 50 bucks each, cheaper then hell, they are by GP sorensen i think...something like that, but yea, pieces of junk, but they work for now

and im going to definately look into that rr fpr
Old 01-26-2006, 09:02 AM

question about the rising pressure, could that damage anything as i raise the pressure? would i have to adjust the air mixture and how could i do that?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 AM
The Good Twin

question about the rising pressure, could that damage anything as i raise the pressure? would i have to adjust the air mixture and how could i do that?
as long as you get a 1:1 RR FPR you'll be fine. You should set the fuel pressure to stock (~30psi) at first & see how that runs. Make sure you have your a/f ratio gauge hooked up right to see where the ratio is.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:46 PM

OH MY GOD!
problem back again! and with avengence.... costing me 400 bucks to fix it just to replace the AFM. this place told me the AFM is bad, and i even did the AFM fix JZ mentioned and then adjusted it back to stock....i could just buy a AFM for 170 bucks, but i am really doubting its the AFM, and if i replace it myself i just wasted 170 bucks, i figure i should just get it done at the place and not have to worry about it, what do you guys think??

cuz im selling it, and i dont want to sell a poor running car to anyone.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
The Good Twin

OH MY GOD!
problem back again! and with avengence.... costing me 400 bucks to fix it just to replace the AFM. this place told me the AFM is bad, and i even did the AFM fix JZ mentioned and then adjusted it back to stock....i could just buy a AFM for 170 bucks, but i am really doubting its the AFM, and if i replace it myself i just wasted 170 bucks, i figure i should just get it done at the place and not have to worry about it, what do you guys think??

cuz im selling it, and i dont want to sell a poor running car to anyone.
Man... I've bought several good AFM's on ebay for like $15 each. I'd never buy a new one cuz ya gotta adjust the new one anyway.

But after you adjusted the AFM & it didn't fix the prob... that should let ya know something else might be the prob.

Have you hooked up the a/f gauge yet?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:17 AM

i didnt hook it up yet, but i took it back to the shop i had it fixed at before, and they said they did a diagnosis on it and it turned out to be the AFM, but when i adjuted it five clicks looser, and then back again, there was no difference, could it be just a bad AFM all together? either way, i figure if that isnt it, that was the problem they said it was, so they are entitled to fix whatever the real problem is.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:24 AM
The Good Twin

i didnt hook it up yet, but i took it back to the shop i had it fixed at before, and they said they did a diagnosis on it and it turned out to be the AFM, but when i adjuted it five clicks looser, and then back again, there was no difference, could it be just a bad AFM all together? either way, i figure if that isnt it, that was the problem they said it was, so they are entitled to fix whatever the real problem is.
To CORRECTLY adjust the AFM you need to hook up the a/f gauge. 5 clicks is a general rule, but each car might be a slightly different condition.

Just hook up the a/f gauge & tune the car... you don't need to take it to a shop.
Let the car warm up to running temp, take it for a drive, and watch the a/f gauge... then you can adjust the AFM accordingly.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 AM

nismo, you make a valid point, the least mechanically inclined person can do the job, its just that im selling the car, value looks better if i have a reciept from a shop, and the amount invested, might make the difference between a guy who wants to buy it, or walk off because he doesnt know my mechanic skills....made sense to me, might sound like horse pucky to you guys
Old 02-08-2006, 09:04 AM
The Good Twin

nismo, you make a valid point, the least mechanically inclined person can do the job, its just that im selling the car, value looks better if i have a reciept from a shop, and the amount invested, might make the difference between a guy who wants to buy it, or walk off because he doesnt know my mechanic skills....made sense to me, might sound like horse pucky to you guys

If it runs right (not a shibby fix), what difference does it make who did it? It seems to me that if you show a guy a receipt, he knows something was wrong, & might not be fixed.... if it runs right & there is no shop receipt... how would he know something was wrong? I'm not saying to be shady about it, but that's just what my thoughts are.

Last edited by NismoPick; 02-08-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:42 AM

also true, but would you rather buy from a guy with all service reciepts, part reciepts, thats honest, or buy from a guy that says..."nah..everything has ran great from the beginning" your right, he might not know, but the fact that he knows he is buying a car that has been completely maintenanced assure him thats just the much less to work on...
Old 02-08-2006, 12:02 PM
The Good Twin

also true, but would you rather buy from a guy with all service reciepts, part reciepts, thats honest, or buy from a guy that says..."nah..everything has ran great from the beginning" your right, he might not know, but the fact that he knows he is buying a car that has been completely maintenanced assure him thats just the much less to work on...
If I was buying a 10 year old car... yeah, but a 25+ year old car, I personally wouldn't expect to see any service receipts since the car has prolly past hands a bunch of times. Then again, I check the hell outta the car before I buy it, and can usually tell when something is wrong. Anyway... to get back on topic... do as you will to get it runnin good.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 PM

yea, i guess we will see, its already been done, on the topic of sales how much do you think i could sell it for?? here is the forum link for the discription, ----------------> https://www.zdriver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16859 ------im hoping to god i get at least 2000 for it, after its completely fixed of course.

Last edited by gabrielzzz; 02-09-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

new update, i just got the car back today, and the guy that fixed it threw in a new cold air intake just for the trouble of having to take it back, drives stronger and faster than ever, at 80 i hit the gas and it slings me back into the seat! whoo..! but yea, so the guy was cool about it at least
Old 02-16-2006, 08:33 AM
The Good Twin

new update, i just got the car back today, and the guy that fixed it threw in a new cold air intake just for the trouble of having to take it back, drives stronger and faster than ever, at 80 i hit the gas and it slings me back into the seat! whoo..! but yea, so the guy was cool about it at least
And the prob was?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Doesn't post much...

Are you really sure you don't just want to keep the 280ZX? I know you're worried about reliability and all, but it's really quite a reliable car once you get past a few little hicups. Besides... I have an all Z car run coming up in two weeks! Going to be cruising out Del Dios HWY and then along HWY 101 on the coast. It's gonna be sweeeeeet!

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:44 PM

problem was the AFM, and also rod, your right, im just going to put a high price on it, what i think its worth, (5000) and then it wont sell for a long time unless someone is nuts, 2000 itsnt worth the work ive put into it, so i plan on having it probably for another year, the only problem is i dont have a lot of space, so the Z would have to go out on the street, on normandie ave. in the ghettos of LA.... :\
Old 02-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Doesn't post much...

Normandy! Ahhhh Yeaaaaaah BooooooEEEEEEEEE! That's a dope hood yo! Yeah, If that's the case you better make sure you have a good alarm system or it won't be parked there for long...

Rod.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:02 PM
The Good Twin

That anywhere near Compton? I drove by there on the 710 in December on the way to Longbeach. Reminds me of Snoop Dogg!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:32 PM

YEAP, five miles away from compton

you should see all the crackheads walking around at 2:30 in the morning

Quick Reply: solve this problem or im gonna give up on my Z...*tear*