280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Somebody Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:12 PM

Somebody Please Help!

I CANT STOP MYSELF!!

It started out as an exhaust leak troubleshooting, then a timing chain replacement...

But now....

It wont stop!

I've got rebuild kits for the brake master cylinder, clutch master and slave. Plan to paint the exhaust and intake.

Anybody know of a good way to refresh the appearance of the fluid containers? I was thinking of spraying them white and leaving a vertical strip to still view the fluid level

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 10-18-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 PM

Just give 'em a good cleaning with some WD-40 and a toothbrush.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:30 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow somebody is getting the Z bug. lol That is what happens though. You start working on something. Or replacing and fixing. And you can't stop, you need to improve other things. Don't feel bad, happens with me too. Amongst others on here.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by duckyz
Just give 'em a good cleaning with some WD-40 and a toothbrush.
WD-40 is a little corrosive for plastics right? I am assuming that's why it works.

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Wow somebody is getting the Z bug. lol That is what happens though. You start working on something. Or replacing and fixing. And you can't stop, you need to improve other things. Don't feel bad, happens with me too. Amongst others on here.
How is your car coming along? If I remember correctly, you unfortunately lost your job, which gave you more time to work on your car? I am in the same boat sort of, I have a part time job which gives me just enough money to do stuff to the car.

It started off we me test painting a small corner:

Then it went to doing the whole engine compartment:

To taking off the front bumper/skirt/headlights:

And I even fixed a rust hole:

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 10-19-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 AM

(When did this picture limit start? Was it getting abused that badly?)

Also, the reason for rebuilding the brakes:

(Since I was there I'd figure I would rebuild the clutch master cylinder, and while I was at that, rebuild the slave, and since that was all out, replace the flexible hose for the slave!)

Still not done:

(Watched all of South Park on netflix during the wiring harness repair)
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Good work man, looking good. As for my Z, I have been going off and on with it. I got a job in the middle of June. Been there since, still a temp though. But it is better than nothing.

I replaced the cylinder head, with a rebuilt one. And also had to reset the timing chain. Still having trouble getting it started. It cranks real healthy though. Oh, and I wont have to worry about corrosion in the battery compartment. Because I have a Optima Gel cel battery. I do have some rust in that area. But will work on getting rid of it. How would I go about doing that. The cheapest, and best way possible?

All in all, keep up the good work. You will have a cherry Z, when you get finished.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:02 PM

Cut it out, get some sheet metal, and some body sealer. Super strong, super cheap

Im doing it to the floor pans, its a trick one of my mechanic buds told me.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by KHCreason
Cut it out, get some sheet metal, and some body sealer. Super strong, super cheap

Im doing it to the floor pans, its a trick one of my mechanic buds told me.
Can you explain more in detail?

My current plans is to fix the rust on the original battery support and then buy some brackets from home depot, drill some holes and bolt the support back on. Then I plan to fill the space beneath with some fire retardant expanding foam (mostly to make sure water doesn't build there again). But I would like to fix the hole

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Good work man, looking good. As for my Z, I have been going off and on with it. I got a job in the middle of June. Been there since, still a temp though. But it is better than nothing.

I replaced the cylinder head, with a rebuilt one. And also had to reset the timing chain. Still having trouble getting it started. It cranks real healthy though. Oh, and I wont have to worry about corrosion in the battery compartment. Because I have a Optima Gel cel battery. I do have some rust in that area. But will work on getting rid of it. How would I go about doing that. The cheapest, and best way possible?

All in all, keep up the good work. You will have a cherry Z, when you get finished.
Work is work. I have an engineering degree and I work at The Home Depot...

To fix rust, I used a wire wheel on my drill, some handy wire brushes, and once that's all cleared away, I use a rust converter to seal it. The VHT chassis and roll bar high temp paint. Stuff is nice, water beads up on it!

Last edited by Duck Ryder; 10-20-2010 at 09:03 AM.