280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

stock automatic to 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM

stock automatic to 5 speed

hello! well i know this transformation can be done...here is the question,i have a 10th anniversary gold/black..yes automatic..how much does it hurt the value if i change it over to manual?
of course i know to keep the automatic after the replacement..so how much work am i looking at and biggest question..the value. thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 PM
The Good Twin

Unless your 10th AE is a low mileage, 100% stock, looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor car, I wouldn't worry about it's value. The 79 ZXR is a more "valued" car. And if you are willing to do the trans swap, I would assume you plan to keep it & use it as your daily driver for a long time no?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

you need a manual trans(duh!), flywheel, Clutch assembly, pilot bearing,slave cylinder, clutch cylinder, clutch line, clutch pedal, and the bracket that holds the brake and clutch pedal with the switches. Its a lot of work, get rid of the A/T lines, plug the cooler on the radiator, take off the A/T, flexplate, and torque converter. Tear the dash out, switch the peals out and put it all back together. As far as value, if you're keeping it, its your car who cares. If you want to sell it later, it depends on if the person wants original, or would prefer a cooler 10thA with a 5-speed.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by evandubya
you need a manual trans(duh!), flywheel, Clutch assembly, pilot bearing,slave cylinder, clutch cylinder, clutch line, clutch pedal, and the bracket that holds the brake and clutch pedal with the switches. Its a lot of work, get rid of the A/T lines, plug the cooler on the radiator, take off the A/T, flexplate, and torque converter. Tear the dash out, switch the peals out and put it all back together. As far as value, if you're keeping it, its your car who cares. If you want to sell it later, it depends on if the person wants original, or would prefer a cooler 10thA with a 5-speed.
yes i agree it sounds like more work then i am personally capable of,now it looks to remain as is..but i did very well on this car.i paid 2 grand.owned by 2 woman,one who did not know what a curb was,as there are 2 small dents of no significance to the frame, the car has some very minor rust issues in 2 isolated spots,and was repainted the wrong gold..now on the good side 110 ,000orig miles,complete,minor interior work needed. runs fabulous,i have a book of documents on it..need the stripe kit for repaint. i always thought these were one of the most sought after zx.i also have a red one..thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Unless your 10th AE is a low mileage, 100% stock, looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor car, I wouldn't worry about it's value. The 79 ZXR is a more "valued" car. And if you are willing to do the trans swap, I would assume you plan to keep it & use it as your daily driver for a long time no?
would 110,000 be considered low on a 31 year old car? what is a fair price to repaint this car correctly? i figure it will be expensive ..does 1500-2000 sound close? i would not call it showroom,but original,and pretty well preserved..needs a little TLC..not a lot to be show quality,not a show stopper...but nice , original...only thing i do not have is the window sticker..i would be grateful for any tips you can give me on the resto of my red one! thanks!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
The Evil Twin

Its low but not low enough. Do the swap to 5-speed.

I bet the next owner won't even check the VIN or care. They will be happy that it is a manual and not an automatic.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by greg416
would 110,000 be considered low on a 31 year old car? what is a fair price to repaint this car correctly? i figure it will be expensive ..does 1500-2000 sound close? i would not call it showroom,but original,and pretty well preserved..needs a little TLC..not a lot to be show quality,not a show stopper...but nice , original...only thing i do not have is the window sticker..i would be grateful for any tips you can give me on the resto of my red one! thanks!
First off basic collector stuff. Original paint in avereage condition or below average makes any collectable item worth more than a shiny new paint job. Also production numbers don't always mean more value. A proper paint job is way more than $2K that I've ever heard of. I'd figure on $4-5K to start for a good paint job and it just keeps going up from there.

There was a mint 10th Anniversary in Washington that was for sale for well over a year. IIRC it ending up selling for $5K. A mint turbo will fetch two or three times that value.

Mileage on an S130 - pretty much meaningless to be honest. The engines go forever but the bodys have a tough time surviving the rust. Lots of parts available and the cost is typically low. Main thing isn't milage but body condition.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by FricFrac
First off basic collector stuff. Original paint in avereage condition or below average makes any collectable item worth more than a shiny new paint job. Also production numbers don't always mean more value. A proper paint job is way more than $2K that I've ever heard of. I'd figure on $4-5K to start for a good paint job and it just keeps going up from there.

There was a mint 10th Anniversary in Washington that was for sale for well over a year. IIRC it ending up selling for $5K. A mint turbo will fetch two or three times that value.

Mileage on an S130 - pretty much meaningless to be honest. The engines go forever but the bodys have a tough time surviving the rust. Lots of parts available and the cost is typically low. Main thing isn't milage but body condition.
IN oops in that respect i am very fortunate little to no rust on the red one,i have searched around it a bit still no rust and solid, real solid under the carpet.. some of your comments are a little dissapointing, i have heard that these cars are quite sought after..yeah my not be a big buck beauty..but i could not afford a resto on the shelby ..laughing..dream on..not everyone can have a limited edition..so i am pretty happy with it...the gold one would need some body work..considering to attempt buying a lead kit and having at it.. i still think its a beauty.. the gold one needs far less work then the red one..she will end up breaking the bank.. but the smile on my face when it rolls out will be worth it. thanks for the info i am ALWAYS willing to learn more.... lifes short...drive hard
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM
The Good Twin

IN oops in that respect i am very fortunate little to no rust on the red one,
So you have a black and red 10th AE 280zx too? Or just a red non AE one???

some of your comments are a little dissapointing, i have heard that these cars are quite sought after..
http://zhome.com/History/10thAnniv.htm

2500 Black & Gold, 500 Black & Red. Obviously the Black/Red is much more rare & a few years ago someone tried to sell (I don't know if the ACTUALLY sold) two showroom floor Black/Red 10th AE's for about $25k.

Like I said before, the only time a Black/Gold AE would be worth more, is when it is still in showroom condition.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
So you have a black and red 10th AE 280zx too? Or just a red non AE one???

http://zhome.com/History/10thAnniv.htm

2500 Black & Gold, 500 Black & Red. Obviously the Black/Red is much more rare & a few years ago someone tried to sell (I don't know if the ACTUALLY sold) two showroom floor Black/Red 10th AE's for about $25k.

Like I said before, the only time a Black/Gold AE would be worth more, is when it is still in showroom condition.
no i have both... a red black version..body is super! automatic 1 of 40 produced// and i have a gold/black one that i bought like 2 weeks after the red one..it just showed up near my home so i grabbed it fast...2000 $
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 PM

no i have both... a red black version..body is super! automatic 1 of 40 produced// and i have a gold/black one that i bought like 2 weeks after the red one..it just showed up near my home so i grabbed it fast...2000 $
hope these post
Attached Thumbnails stock automatic to 5 speed-100_0720.jpg   stock automatic to 5 speed-100_0680.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

IN oops in that respect i am very fortunate little to no rust on the red one,i have searched around it a bit still no rust and solid, real solid under the carpet.. some of your comments are a little dissapointing, i have heard that these cars are quite sought after..yeah my not be a big buck beauty..but i could not afford a resto on the shelby ..laughing..dream on..not everyone can have a limited edition..so i am pretty happy with it...the gold one would need some body work..considering to attempt buying a lead kit and having at it.. i still think its a beauty.. the gold one needs far less work then the red one..she will end up breaking the bank.. but the smile on my face when it rolls out will be worth it. thanks for the info i am ALWAYS willing to learn more.... lifes short...drive hard
In the years I've been messing around with the S130 I've heard a lot of stories. The S130 just hasn't seen a lot of love until recently. Even then it's more frequently sought by younger people looking to modify them. It's not typically a "collectors" car. By far the most desireable is a solid turbo car perferably with a 5spd. Check out the prices on E-Bay (of the cars that actually sell). Other than the super low milage 10th Anniversary that sold for a stupid ammount of money they don't usually fetch a lot of coin. There wasn't anything really special about them - the ZXR at least had a wing with it...

Black and Red is a great colour combo - one of my favorites on the S130.... in fact the S130 suits the two tone colour combo - not a lot of cars can pull that off...
But really who cares! You picked yours up for a decent price and it's still an S130 with a solid body. In my books that's the prime concern with these cars - rust free. The rest is easy to deal with....