280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

A/T to 5-Speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 05:17 AM

Swapping from a AT to a manual is a lot of work but very do able since you already have a donor right there. And I do believe most people would prefer the 5 speed if you decide to sell it. As for major changes your going from a at to a 5 speed I would consider it all a major change..........
Old 01-16-2004, 10:49 AM
The Evil Twin

Look and see. With the older Z's and other Datsuns it is a bolt-on. Check to see if the assembly above the pedals has the same brackets for the clutch pedal as your 5-speed. Look at the firewall and see if there is a spot to mount the clutch master cylinder. It should be plugged with a plastic piece.

If so, then you can see that its just a matter of swapping pedals, a master cylinder, and running the hydralic lines to the other side of the transmission. I did this on my Datsun 620.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:23 PM
The Evil Twin

My opinion is that if you're going to be using this anniversary edition as a driver, then the extreme high value is already gone. They aren't worth that much anyway, unless they have under 50,000 miles and have never seen rain...

I have not heard anything about the 10th anniv edition only having an auto. So, its not like you're totally destroying the originality of it by swapping to a stick. The only difference will be if someone deciphers the VIN number and realizes it is a 10th anniv with an Auto. But overall, the resale value of any Z is increased by being a manual transmission!

I say do the swap clean, and do it right to keep it that way. The only part where you have to make decisions on bolting things in will be how you run the hydralic line line with its corrosponding firewall mounts for the clutch. On my truck the extra line ran next to the brake lines, and at one point it crossed over the brake lines. I just put a little rubber piece for insulation between the lines and used a couple zip ties to form an X over the intersection. Works for me, and they won't vibrate or rub through each other. For your car, you may want to remove the mounts from the 5-speed car and screw them onto the 10th Anniv car. The auto will have two brake lines I believe, while the mounts for the 5-speed has a third hold-down for the clutch line. You'll see what I mean when you get into the project.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 PM
The Evil Twin

Then again, if its already in mint condition and you'll only drive it for fun on nice days... what's wrong with an automatic? You're only cruising.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 PM

Tranny Swap

Originally Posted by peejay910
thanks for th equick respomse, I aggree it is a major change but what I mean is it all bolt on or am I going to be drilling alot of holes, and welding. If it's mostly bolt on I would be able to switch back. I want to be able to go back to original because it is a 10th anniversary (Red and Black) so if i have to cut a 2 foot hole in the floor or something like that i deffinately won't be doing it.
I THINK THE 83 HAD THE T-5 MAN TRANNY(DEF PLUS). SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I'LL MAIL A HOW-TO INST I HAVE. FROM WHAT I READ, WITH A 5spd DONER CAR IT'S PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD SWAP.
MY EMAIL IS BJ_BISIG@YAHOO.COM