280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

t top now running

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM

t top now running

Well just fired her up last nite. . . Pain in the *** had issues with a 79 intake on a 80 wireing harness. I left the 3 in exaust alone since haveing classic plates will by pass emissions. Did change over to 8mm plug wires and g3 plugs with a blaster coil. Huge over all improvement car makes a chunk sound through the cold air intake and hits 6600 rpm instantly. Sounds close to a indy engine. However will the big upgraded ignition system lead to head gasket failure. . . I'm also running a large mouth throttle body lightweight flywheel and stage 2 center force clutch. Haven't driven it yet still got to bolt up drive shaft. Sounds wicked but will she play well with the upgrades or burn up?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
However will the big upgraded ignition system lead to head gasket failure. . . I'm also running a large mouth throttle body lightweight flywheel and stage 2 center force clutch. Haven't driven it yet still got to bolt up drive shaft. Sounds wicked but will she play well with the upgrades or burn up?
Do you know what causes head gasket failures in the first place?
-Overheating
-Detonation / too high compression

So... if you don't overheat it, and you make sure the a/f ratio is correct... you won't blow the head gasket.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Um yes lol. . . . . Just wondering car came with a blown head. Now with the upgrades this car has am I raising combustion temps that could lead to a un dectectable over heat situation what the last owner said was gauges were norm got off highway and car just died the restart left him shooting water from the tail pipe
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 PM
The Good Twin

car came with a blown head.
Which was fixed by machining the head and using a new head gasket right? Or are you still running a blown head gasket?

Now with the upgrades this car has am I raising combustion temps that could lead to a un dectectable over heat situation what the last owner said was gauges were norm got off highway and car just died the restart left him shooting water from the tail pipe
eh? "Undetectable" would mean the temp gauge wasn't working.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Lol I'm running my rebuilt 81 motor from the red 600.00 datsun in my pic. That went into my silver 79 that I swapped intakes last year now I took it out of the 79 and placed it in the 80 t top. That I raped the kid for 600. For a orig 7000. Car lol. Since the head was blown I put all my 79 parts in due to the fact would you ware dead mans cloths. Can't put my finger on what killed the orig head. . . But once I put the ignition system from the new car my old engine woke up and acts like its on crack. That's my worry kinda liked my reliable putt putt 135 hp
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM

The head temp sensor melted from the head. . Blew oil from between head n block and the oil filter blew like a pipe bomb. . . . That engine is dead. It has the 80 mph spedo that had the hundred k spedo car has 81549 on the clock. Did it die from a spoiled rich 17 yr old. . Being a mix bag parts car. . Haveing no cat and 3 in exhaust. Or the wrong antifreeze or the hot coil hot wires hot plugs lol. . . Hate to drive a few thousand to kill this engine.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I'm feeling jetta here think 91 with there purple antifreeze joe blow drains it puts good ol prestone 50/50 mix in drives fine temp needle stays norm. Due to the boiling points being different. Anyone that's owned one can say what happens later lmao. . Now this kid put gm dex cool orange in. Plus drove it as a 17 yr old would. But would the high power after market ign system sear the head with out adding to heating up the coolent? Kinda stupid but 81 k why did that engine die lol