280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Think I found my oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Unhappy Think I found my oil leak

Yeah I was investigating my Z a little more today. Trying to pinpoint my oil leak problem. And this is what I conclude on this dilemna. I think the headgasket is leaking. Because it looks like it is coming from below the head itself. I put some copper RTV on it, and where the oil appeared to be leaking more. In the certain spots, anyway hopefully the sealant will fix it for now. The oil leak has been quite annoying for a while. I did fix my coolant leak though. But if this oil leak gets worse, I will have some major problems. I am going to work on getting that other Z as soon as I can now. I don't know how much longer I have on my '82's motor.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Taste My Rainbow

You Should Buy Both Of Mine And I'm In Vegas... One Engine Is Commpletely Rebuilt
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I'd pull the head and catch it before serious damage is done. I know that involves the chain, but you've tackled hard *** crap before and came out on top, so it's definately do-able...

I'd give ya a hand when I could...

I won't get banned for saying "***", will I??
Old 07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yes that is a good idea, except that. This car is my only daily driver, I don't have anything else for backup. That is why I want to purchase that '83. And the head was professionaly rebuilt in '02. It shouldn't be having problems like this. Anyway thanks for the help, and advice. I will have to wait this out, and see if it gets worse.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

Dude! Make sure it really is that before you go and pull the head... Not very common for an oil leak from the head gasket... not very common at all!

I'm guessing that's NOT really where it's coming from... But just looks like it is.

Check further!

Rod.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:31 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah Rod I know, that is why this is only a theory right now. I do hope I am majorly wrong on this one. I will keep my eye on it more closely. Thanks for the help guys. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 PM

where IS the leak...front of the engine? sides? back? where do you suspect?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:04 AM
NisTuner

Before you suspect headgasket, just do a compression test.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:25 AM
ダットサンマニアック

umm could it be the valve cover gasket, same vicinity...

just a novice trying to help,

Allen
Old 07-29-2006, 02:25 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Skully
where IS the leak...front of the engine? sides? back? where do you suspect?
A little in the driver side back part. Some in the front of the engine. And quite a bit down toward the bottom of the block, on the passenger side. It is real heavy, and black.(passenger side) I put copper RTV on the valve cover, and head for now. And I am keeping my eye on it. Keep the suggestions coming everybody.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:27 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

And then I fear if it isn't any of those things. Then I will point my finger on the front seal. Which would suck also, hope I figure this out soon. It is quite annoying.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:31 AM

front, timing cover seals?, passanger, oil filter? what i would do is get clean white tape and tape it around the head and around the block and then you can see if its coming from uptop from valve cover or from under the head...
Old 08-19-2006, 08:34 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay today I was trying to lean out my fuel/air mixture. And then I noticed a fresh vertical oil line, coming from cylinder #3. So now I think that I have bad rings in the #3 cylinder. I tried to tighten the spark plug, but it was already pretty tight. So now I think I am close, if it is the rings. I am not terribly worried about it. I know he will last until I get the '83, and get it running. But do keep the thoughts, and suggestions coming anyway.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:49 PM

you had oil coming out of the spark plug hole? And the spark plug was tightened? Even if you had a bad ring/s its not likely to cause oil to leak out of the spark plug hole. The spark plug is up in the combustion chamber, away from where the oil is. and the spark plug holes are at a vertical angle. The oil would have to flow up the spark plug hole when there is plenty of room for it to just flow down in the cylinder.You've got to understand that a bad oil control ring is just going to leave oil on the cylinder walls, it's not going to allow oil to just squirt into the cylinder. The oil left on the cylinder walls will then get burned up in the combustion process. If you've got oil leaking near your spark plug I'd look to the valve cover gasket.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:35 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I sealed the valve cover gasket with more copper rtv. And I believe the reason why my gasket was leaking. Is because I have 2 or 3 bolts, that are stripped, and wont tighten all the way on the head. And yes I did try different bolts with the same result. I just need to get this other Z, so I can put this one down. The motor is falling apart, and I abused it too much in the past, with overheating. I really don't know how much longer, the life of the motor has.

Anyway the oil line was coming straight down from the bottom of # 3 plug. And I have heavy oil spots, towards the front of the motor. Not really good either. I am still learning things, and this is not my department quite yet. I would know more, after rebuilding an L28 later on. I just know that this motor needs a fresh rebuild, and it is my only daily driver. So I have to keep it together until, I get the '83, and get it up and running.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:48 PM

is the 83 you're getting a turn-key purchase? Or is that going to need work to get it on the road?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

The '83 will run on starting fluid, and the fuel tank needs to be repaired or replaced. I also know off the top of my head, it needs a ignition switch also. No big deal there, I don't think it will take much to get it running. But for $350, I can't go wrong, for how nice the Z is, pretty straight body, and sounds healthy when cranking. The person I am getting it from, got a Camaro, and has school and work. And has no time to mess with the Z. And wanted to sell it to me, because they know, I will not let it sit and rot away. And give it the glory on the road once again.

And me getting this car, and getting it on the road. Gives me a chance to put my '82 down, and finish restoring him like I want to do. And my Bluestreak will get the Turbo swap done on him. And finished the rest of the way. It is verry difficult to restore a car, when you drive it everyday. Also the fact, that I still will be driving a Z. And that is the cool part.

Last edited by WildmaN; 08-20-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM

sounds like a good deal. If thats all it needs then you can just swap that stuff over from one of your other Z's to get the 83 on the road. I wish ya luck

Last edited by jfairladyz; 08-21-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:35 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

I think the plan is to use the '83 as the daily driver so he can rebuild bluestreak!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 PM

my z did that once, where it would run on starting fluid and my fuel pump was bad in it, but i also see you said the tank needs some tlc so is it just because it wont hold any fuel or is it not getting any? lol
Old 08-20-2006, 10:05 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by loosenut
my z did that once, where it would run on starting fluid and my fuel pump was bad in it, but i also see you said the tank needs some tlc so is it just because it wont hold any fuel or is it not getting any? lol
What this person was telling me, is that it wont hold any fuel. So it means that, it has leaks in the tank itself. I believe they said, they had it checked out by someone, and that was the conclusion. When I get it, I will investigate it more. Also it has a brand new fuel pump on it. So that is one less thing to worry about.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:06 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by lww
I think the plan is to use the '83 as the daily driver so he can rebuild bluestreak!
You hit the nail on the head l-dub. That is my plan, we will see what happens.