280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

thxone's Turbo Resto/Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
teh 600's still get 50mpg or better actually even though they are sport bikes, but you should get a dual sport instead of the ex ninja's they are turds. dual sports you can at least still look cool on and you can off road them if you ever want to/need to. its what i kinda want since i still want a bike and know i ride dirt bikes good. just saying.

I will give you that Snw but the rider position on a normal sportbike is leaned forward putting alot of weight on your wrist and arms and can fatigue you over longer rides, I would prefer a cruiser actually but I can't find one with a 250cc engine and liquid cooling...the Ninja just has all the features I am looking for and want....my first choice was a Suzuki S40 for its weight, seat hight and rider position....and all though it is a single piston 650cc bike, it is air cooled so my choice is the smaller displacement Ninja. I want a smaller bike also because of my right leg from my motorcycle accident....I would not be able to hold up a larger bike if it leaned to far to the right at a light or anywhere I was stopped. The Ninja is 355lbs fully wet. Trust me, I have thought this through.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Über User

Dual Sport!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 PM

Dual Sport!!!!!!
I don't off road.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Über User

DUAL SPORT!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 PM

DUAL SPORT!!!!!!!!!! lol
That Avatar is sooooo fitting for you.

J/K but I really just like the Ninja 250R....just look at my sig...its so sexy.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Über User

have you seen them in person? i hope your no taller than 5' 9" otherwise your gonna be squating on that bike lol. and tehy loose appeal in person. but they arent neccessarily "ugly" and the avatar is somewhat fitting, ralph is just friggin hilarious though.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM

have you seen them in person? i hope your no taller than 5' 9" otherwise your gonna be squating on that bike lol. and tehy loose appeal in person. but they arent neccessarily "ugly" and the avatar is somewhat fitting, ralph is just friggin hilarious though.
Yeah, I went down to a dealership and sat on one for about a half hour, leaning it and assuming the full ride position while it was on its built in center stand and it was just about as perfect as it could get...for me that is. I am 5'10"

This bike is a major upgrade for me from the 125cc I had and that bike was so much fun and I know this will be the shiznits!!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Crap Crap Crap!!!!

I am still having issues with my ECU wire harness but it is not as bad as I thought it was at the connectors...the main problem is where it goes through the fire wall I think...I think the grommet has deteriorated a little and I may have a few bare wires at the firewall now. I was driving like normal wishing this problem would go away as it started acting up again only this time when I messed with the connectors it didn't help much so I grabbed the bottom most part of the wires (which is still wrapped) and pushed it towards the firewall and BAM it launched like it just got injected with a 75hp shot of N2O!! When I do this wire thing I am in 1st at 3,500 rpm and holding the pedal steady.

Now I have to climb under the dash and find this bare wire problem
Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Ok, you've justified your reasons for such a small little ride...

$1750 for one w/12k miles:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mcy/360417319.html

Last edited by lww; 07-05-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 AM

wouldnt be my first choice for a streetbike but it looks very practical and cheap. Hell if I didnt live in maine itd be my first choice for a daily driver.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lww
Ok, you've justified your reasons for such a small little ride...

$1750 for one w/12k miles:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mcy/360417319.html
Thanks man but that ones got 12,000 more miles on it than I want. I gotta have a virgin this time. I don't mind paying $3,000 for one that nobody has messed with, dropped or ragged on. If I come across a 2006 with 0-100 miles on it I would jump at that one also....but for now it's the Blue 2007. I hope to have it by Christmas.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 PM

Gauge Pod..Finally

Ok, I got my gauge pod today for my 2 5/8" Vac/Boost gauge. I removed the top part of the steering column cover and mounted the pod to it, it is not centered on the cover but is centered with the main gauge cluster. Here are some pics so far, I will post the in car pics in a little bit.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:17 PM

Here are the in car pics. After a test run on the road I have to say this was a good choice for location. You can see your boost at a glance without turning your head and you can still see the turn signal arrows. No interference with the steering wheel at all and the gauge is stable.

Last edited by thxone; 07-07-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Looks great bro' good job on that. Nice mounting job, and good location.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 AM

Lololol

I had to go play with my car again..... I think I need a short throw shifter.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Über User

you need a better camera and camera man. lol. looks funn though, thats alot of squat, did we cover that already? haha, and how wide are your tires in the rear? because after hearing your second gear spin it makes me wonder about how well my car is running, cuase i only get a really long loud chirp, not like, spin.... of coarse i still dont know what ive been reving my car to
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM

you need a better camera and camera man. lol. looks funn though, thats alot of squat, did we cover that already? haha, and how wide are your tires in the rear? because after hearing your second gear spin it makes me wonder about how well my car is running, cuase i only get a really long loud chirp, not like, spin.... of coarse i still dont know what ive been reving my car to
The camera is just that...a Canon 4.0 mega pixel digital camera and its on a rather large tripod. The squat is a whole lot better than it was in my first video...remember that one when my bumper seemed to almost hit the ground? I do want some new shocks and springs cause this car needs to be much stiffer and I want to go back to the factory size tire, these are Toyo Proxes H4 215/60/15 on factory rims. I think they are too squishy on the side wall and they seem to wide for these rims as they bubble out quite a bit.

When I looked down at the tach just before I shifted into second it was at like 6,800 rpms....ooops. If I didn't let off in second due to running out of parking lot and the engine and turbo would have revved higher I am sure third would have spun just as easy. These tires are **** poor for traction and I will be replacing them with the Falken ZE512's of the 205/60/15 variety. Also, if you notice, there is a little bit of blackish smoke when at WOT...I seem to be just a bit rich and I know my timing is still off just a hair at like 25*-28* BTC...plus I need to clean my K&N real bad.

This car my be rusty and ugly but when she goes she goes good. I pissed some guy off down on the beach, he was in a new GT Mustang and he was hard pressed to get away from me on the curvy road. We stopped at a light and he ask if I had an 8 in it....(it does have a deep exhaust note) I said no, it's a straight 6. He left quickly at the next turn and seemed disgusted. I really hope my MBC gets here soon...I want 10psi!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by thxone
When I looked down at the tach just before I shifted into second it was at like 6,800 rpms....ooops.
Careful... no need to go much above 5500 rpm as that's the peak hp. Going well above that does no good. One of the reasons I installed an aftermarket ignition was for a rev-limiter.

Also, if you notice, there is a little bit of blackish smoke when at WOT...I seem to be just a bit rich and I know my timing is still off just a hair at like 25*-28* BTC...plus I need to clean my K&N real bad.
Rich is good at full boost. Watch some vids of SR20 or RB26 cars... at full boost they are spittin out a lil bit of black smoke. Tho that does also cover your insides w/ a coat of carbon.

I really hope my MBC gets here soon...I want 10psi!!!
and an IC right?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:02 AM
NisTuner

Yeah these cars do go, my friend has an 02 or 03 WRX I forget which. Although it seems quick, at full throttle getting on the freeway it just seemed like it didn't match up to how fast I've been able to get my Z going on the ramps and stuff. Even at about 1/4th throttle it seems like you can feel the pull.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Careful... no need to go much above 5500 rpm as that's the peak hp. Going well above that does no good. One of the reasons I installed an aftermarket ignition was for a rev-limiter....
My second thought after "Oh ****" was "There really IS NO rev limiter on these cars!!" but i am not sure what is going to work with the stock ignition.

Rich is good at full boost. Watch some vids of SR20 or RB26 cars... at full boost they are spittin out a lil bit of black smoke. Tho that does also cover your insides w/ a coat of carbon.

That is good to know about the running a little rich at full boost, it does run pretty good.

...and an IC right?
The IC, yes I will be getting one....just not right at the moment. I am still researching what size my engine will require at different boost levels, what will fit in the area in front of the radiator and what I will have to do as far as plumbing for the IC...plus I want a BOV so I am researching those also as far as what is needed and the pro's and con's of venting it to the atmosphere or venting it back into the intake.....plus I wouldn't mind if my turbo spooled just a hair quicker....though in second gear it seems to be spooled very good as soon as I let off the clutch and hit the gas. Not bad for an ugly car....I really need some body work...but it makes me laugh when little ricers look at it like it is a slow, rusted piece of junk.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Über User

theres no advantage for you to recirculate it they only do that for cars with MAF's usually. and honestly, unless your going big, which i would say get tial, then just get the HKS SSQV one of the best designs out there right now for still being farily cost effecient. or you can just keep it simpleand cheap and steal a DSM recirc. valve and vent it to the atmosphere, it will sound just like a greddy BOV since its the same thing lol.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM

I got my MBC today
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
The Good Twin

I got my MBC today
Crank it up! Let this muthah fly!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Über User

hahaha... yeah just crank it... all the way till 20!!!!!! lol
Old 07-11-2007, 01:30 PM

So, ok....I am back from my Test...tune...test....tune some more....test some more. Well I am only stable at 8 psi.....when I bump it up to 9 psi it is good till about 5,000 rpm then I get some weird fluttering noise from the rear of the intake and the boost gauge will bounce from 9 psi to 15 or so very rapidly...I am assuming it is that emergency pop thingy. The engine did not falter during these instances as if it were saying I can handle all the boost you want but you gotta do something about that fluttering. It was like it was kinda holding the boost as far as pedal feel but was acting like the excess was being vented rapidly like FldFldFldFld....try making your tongue flutter behind your top front teeth as you blow air over it...thats kinda what it's doing. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: thxone's Turbo Resto/Project